bad habbit I need help with

Options
Hello all my fellow chubby bunnies! ( this is what I call myself.) I have this bad habbit of eating when i am bored. I am not hungry but I still go looking for something to eat. I try to snack healthy but still find myself snacking before and after I work out. I dont' know how to curb this. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Replies

• youngmum
    youngmum Posts: 114
    Options
    I do the same thing! I find I am best if the snacks available are healthy ones, like fruit, nuts, veges, rather than being in a house filled with snacks such as chips, chocolate and those kinds of things. If they are there I want to eat them and probably will eat them.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i get a blow pop. you have the sucker for awhile and then the gum after that.
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    I'm kindof new to this and I have the same problem, but I know after I have a hard workout I LOVE having a smoothie. I use fat free yogurt, fresh fruit, and soy milk.

maybe finding something to keep your hands busy, or sometimes I chew a piece of gum to keep my mouth busy.
  • TedTorres
    TedTorres Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do it too. Try drinking a glass of water. Or even add a tablespoon of maple syrup to a glass of water.
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    I have serious problems with this issue.:sad: I chew a lot of gum, but even that gets tiring. I don't have any other answers besides drinking a lot of water to make myself so full I don't want anything.:noway: Good luck on your journey.:drinker:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    chewing a piece of gum. having a sucker or something that you can munch on for awhile without many calories like popcorn, mini rice cakes, pretzels, carrots or apples helps.
  • Vicki_78
    Vicki_78 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    drink water, try flavored water or chew gum.... if that doesn't work look for health snacks like fruit. or use that time & get busy - work out, clean. good luck!!
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have this habit as well, although it isn't as extreme as it used to be. Try calling a friend, logging on to MFP and looking around or journaling something, read a couple pages of a book or an article in a magazine, see what all your friends on FB are up to, do some jumping jacks or sit-ups, or drink a glass of water. Basically anything to get your mind off eating something.

Good luck to you!
  • kbefit
    kbefit Posts: 116
    Options
    I take a long hot bath. Usually I'm so relaxed afterward that I'm not hungry.
  • mvellis
    mvellis Posts: 19
    Options
    Take a walk instead; you'll burn calories instead of putting on more. Usually 10 minutes of activity (bring water with you) will take away the craving and the water will change your blood sugar. Eat celery sticks or carrot sticks--something low in calories and something to crunch--no processed food to put on empty calories. Appetite is driven by dropped sugar levels, so give your body something good.
  • Laney25
    Options
    I have trouble with that, too. I recently started planning my meals and snacks out ahead of time and preparing everything the night before. Its working so far. I also stop eating at around 7 or 8 at night, and chewing gum or taking my dog for a walk also helps.
  • tassles
    tassles Posts: 172
    Options
    I have always been the same.... what sometimes helps me is having a glass of diet drink or a skim cappuccino....it tricks my body into feeling full for a while. keeping busy is also useful... it's worse if I'm sitting in front of the TV!!....I also keep some diet yogurt handy for that 3PM sugar drop. .......... some mixed nuts or dried fruit placed into little bags (as a daily allowance) can also be kept for snacking...if they are in portion sizes then I know how much I'm having and wont go back to get some more. Of course all these snacks need to be entered into MFP as part of your daily calorie intake. ....:wink:
  • SJSchwartz
    Options
    Conquer your boredom. Get a hobby or do something that you enjoy. If you like reading, make sure you have plenty of good books or magazines always sitting around. If you like mental puzzles, stock up on puzzle books. If you like writing, get a stationery set and write letters to friends that you haven't seen in a long time. If you like crafts, stock up on craft books. You get the idea I'm sure :) Figure out what you LOVE to do, and keep it near you at all times so you can do it at anytime.
  • nickeymhughes
    nickeymhughes Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I eat an apple right after working out it is the best thing I ever started doing!! I put it in my gym bag and pull it out on my way out of the gym =) As far as before the gym I try to watch what I eat cause so many things will hinder your cardio & lifting. I eat breakfast one hour before I go to the gym usually honey nut cherrios & almond milk.
  • nickeymhughes
    nickeymhughes Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    almost forgot, when I get home from the gym I have my scoop of protein too. I used to chew gum all the time but I've really gotten away from it, those calories add up fast and I have a problem with chewing the whole pack at one time if I have a pack. =(
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Many good tips & tricks to manage your cravings, but here's something additional: What's your relationship to food like? Is it mostly affective and pleasure-driven, and does weight loss for you mean restricting the amount of pleasure? I ask because my eating was strongly pleasure-driven -- my choices were mostly quite good, lots of vegetables (which I crave), high-quality foods, whole grains, but there were exceptions (like eating an entire bag of gummi bears or bar of chocolate slowly to tide me over boredom). One change to make in this situation is to consider food as fuel. If you feel like eating but aren't really hungry, check if your body is telling you it needs (or just wants) a little bit of fuel, and choose something appropriate -- 5 almonds, for example. If you're truly just bored, then well, maybe find something else to fiddle with. Substituting something low caloric snacks will prevent getting off track weight-wise... now. But won't change your habits for the future.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I drink water... someone else had suggested to me brushing your teeth.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Hot tea works for me when I need something between meal times! I'm bored at work a lot, too, so I drink a lot of tea there. :smile:
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    gum - flavored water with no calories or Fresh and Easy has Eating Right Vegetable crackers, 17 of them is only 130 calories
  • rawdefault
    Options
    I drink warm water or green tea - it makes you feel full and distracts you.