I need help to start exercising - any suggestions?

Options
Hi:
I started this on April 2nd- for a long time I have been struggling to lose weight - I even had a lap band surgery where I ended up gaining all the weight back
So one day I decided to check my fitness pal as someone told me about it
I entered my information and the weight I want to lose and it came back with how many calories I needed to eat each day with specifics
I know myself I can hype myself to eliminate few things (I love sweets) from my diet and lose weight fast just to go back in few weeks/ months and make up for all what I didn't eat
So this time around I decided to do it different I concentrate on my fitness pal, even when going out I keep trying different entries to see which will fit my diet so I don't deprive myself from anything so I don't feel I am missing or craving anything
If I know that we will go out to dinner I balance the calorie intake during the day
Even for ice cream I learned to get skinny cow and I read all labels now before buying anything
I lost 9.8 lbs in 7 weeks I feel great when people ask me which diet I am following I say my fitness pal =)
I want to lose 35/ 40 pounds - what I found helps a lot is drinking a lot of water (I hate drinking water) so I brew my own ice tea and also do a protein shake with ice and sip on it most of the day they do help a lot

Now I know that just doing this will not sustain me to lose the weight I want - I know I need to start working out or at least walking and no matter what I do I can't bring myself to do it
Any tips? How can I convince myself to walk or work out - I did all the prep self talk I keep thinking about the benefits and how I would look but still nothing is working
HELP!
Best luck to all:smile:

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    This link is full of information that I recommend. It will help you build a plan that will sustainable and allow you to lose weight.

As far as exercise, you can lose weight without it, but it's an awesome way to be healthier. What you do is up to you. I tried all kinds of thinga before I found something that I love (lifting and running). You can do the same thing.

Best of luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • frankizoy
    frankizoy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    check out FitnessBlender on youtube or at fitnessblender.com. they have a lot of different workout videos to chose from that are completely free
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you will get lots of motivational advice but what I find works for me some days is distraction whilst I'm walking.

In the week I frequently walk with a friend, and our dogs, and we typically walk at around 3.5 miles per hour whilst chatting about the world's minutiae.

But sometimes I walk on my own so I have an ipod and a radio. I download music and podcasts to my ipod and use that to keep me going. Unlike in the gym, distraction is not a major problem as long as I'm moving and slightly out of breath I know that I'm doing good.

I also keep a rough idea on the time as I know how long my routine walks are and I aim for 4 miles per hour when I'm walking on my own. I hope that might help you too.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    What has been keeping me going is logging everything on here.
    If an hour on the treadmill means I can have a slice of cheesecake, it seems like a fair trade!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I am doing this workout and loving it, plus it is free!

https://www.youtube.com/user/BeFitin90

Best of luck to you, you CAN do it!!
  • AubrieJo328
    AubrieJo328 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When I first started out on my weight loss journey I only focused on my diet. When I noticed I wasn't losing as much weight as previous weeks I started walking. It also took me a while to convince myself that I have to exercise. My main motivator was seeing those numbers go down. As both of us have decided to start eating healthier, you also have to make the choice to be active. Now that I have been walking my weight has been coming off as fast sometimes faster then just watching my diet. When I stopped thinking about exercising and just doing it, it obviously made all the difference. you can do it!
  • jimbmc
    jimbmc Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ok, the BEST thing you can do, to start with, is Walk. Walk, Walk, Walk.

Walking is the most effective way to lose begin a Fitness regime, when you are trying to lose weight.

For now, forget about Gym work, Fitness Videos, Running etc....Just walk!

Take 1 hour out of your day, put on some comfortable footwear, and Walk. And I dont just mean ambling along, like you were taking a Dog for walk, I mean, a Good Brisk pace, 3 miles per hour.

I suggest you do this for about a month. It's how I started. You will then reach a stage when YOU will feel, and your body will be telling you, you can manage more. It's at this point, where you can start to look at other options. Cycling and Swimming are the best next steps. Do that for another month! When you can see that your weigh has dropped, and more importantly, your fitness has improved, then consider structured Workouts - i.e. Circuit Training, Weights, Cardio(Running/Jogging), Sports, FItness Classes etc etc.

This might seem a bit long winded, but believe me, it works! If you are new to Fitness Training, the last thing you want to do is jump into some Strict regime, and either cause an injury or get so tired in the first few days, that you will want to give up.

Just walk, and then walk more!

And..Drink LOADS of water!

PS - When I began, I weighed nearly 19 stone, I now weigh just under 14 stone. I can run a half marathon, I have better muscle definition, and most importantly, I feel good when I take my shirt off on the Beach :)
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Naw, the best thing to start with is a bicycle. Compare the calories burned biking to the calories burned in any other exercise. You get to sit on your butt and work out, the wind keeps you cool (most days), and most likely you will find someone close that will see you riding and want to ride with you.....maybe even your kids. Compare the calories burnt. Really.
  • SaharAndrade
    Options
    I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post :smile: