Need spinach recipes... needs to be low in sugar! HELP!

Options
Jessesbride
Jessesbride Posts: 21 Member
Needs to be low in sugar! HELP! I've "perfected" the one I use but it still uses up 12 of my 24g of daily sugar I can have... Anyone have some really good recipes to share? Especially any that include protein?

Replies

• Mrsbeale11
    Mrsbeale11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Feta cheese, mushroom & spinach omelette...yummy x
  • toronto_chester
    Options
    As simple and uninteresting as it sounds, I often cook a bunch of chicken breasts is dijon mustard and garlic, and eat them cold, stuffed in wraps with spinach and nothing else.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Saag Paneer? I love it but don't have a recipe, google it?
    Also, spanikoptia is another option. Not exactly low cal suggestions though.
  • itsGOTtoGetdone
    Options
    Salmon En Croute, is one I love. You can see it made on youtube, that's where I got it from when looking for puff pastry recipes. I make it with & with out the puff pastry. I make enough in a large glass baking dish for the whole family and expect leftovers. I start out with two frozen chopped spinach bags, spread them out in the bottom of the tray. Next a layer of soft crumbled goat cheese (or not). The final layer is salmon fillets. Over the cheese and again over the salmon I put lemon juice, crushed garlic, thyme & rosemary (all to your tastes). I bake in the oven at 400 for 40 minutes. It's very tasty, easy to throw together (when not using the puff pastry). It's great for company with the puff pastry, it looks like a work of art, very impressive. I make it the simple way almost once a week, even my kids love it, including the spinach. No sugar added & like no carbs (without the puff pastry).
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I've added a layer of spinach to my lasagnas before, and can't go wrong with some fresh garlic and a little bit of olive oil either.
  • Pauline252mfp
    Pauline252mfp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lentils-and-spinach/
    Yum lentils and spinach, I make it and pack for lunch.
  • Jessesbride
    Jessesbride Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Those sound really yummy!!! I will definitely have to give those a try!!! Thanks!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Pathend2
    Pathend2 Posts: 142
    Options
    Here's one I concocted. You're going to need some scallops, plain greek yogurt, Mrs. Dash (or lemon pepper if you prefer), white wine, olive oil, garlic, fresh parmesan cheese, fresh Italian parsley, fresh spinach and large portobello mushroom caps (optional, but highly recommended).

Start by mincing one or two cloves of garlic (depending on how much garlic you like) and put them in a frying pan with a tablespoon of olive oil over medium/high heat. After it gets sizzly, add the Mrs. Dash and the scallops and cook them until they get white, opaque and firm. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450 degrees, clean the mushroom caps and pat them dry with a paper towel. Grind some fresh pepper on them, then put them in the oven to roast. Check them in about 5 minutes to see if they become softer and more pliable, then take them out of the oven.

Once the scallops are done cooking, you'll want to deglaze the pan with the white wine. I don't have the perfect measurement (I just use my eye) but if I were to wager a guess, it would be about half a cup. It should be enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Keep the heat on and wait until the wine comes to a boil. At this point, you'll want to add the yogurt - around half a cup. Also, this is where you'll want to add the parsley. Stir it in and cook it until it becomes a thick white sauce. If it's too liquidy, either add more yogurt or simmer the liquid down a little bit. You'll want the consistency of a dressing like ranch sauce.

Time to plate. Begin by putting the mushroom cap on the plate (or bowl) upside down so that it acts as a mushroom bowl. Again, this is optional, but man is it delicious. After that, cover it with spinach (anywhere between half a cup to a full cup, but that's up to your taste). Then, top the spinach with the scallops and the sauce which will act as the dressing. To top this, put some more fresh parsley on top, grate more pepper (I looooove pepper), and shave off some parmesan flakes on top of that.

Enjoy!
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I like spinach lightly sautéed in a dry ,hot pan. May mist some EVOO on it with my Misto. I serve with a poached egg on top. I also love chard this way.
    The wilting gives a nicer texture than steaming.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    These are delicious and easy. Especially with the egg, which gives you added protein too!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/06/quinoa-and-spinach-patties.html
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Pesto. You can make it with just about any leafy green.
    I blanch the spinach, squeeze the water and blend it with a bit of oil, garlic, salt, pepper etc...
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I make a curry in the crock pot with either lentils or chickpeas, a bag of frozen spinach, a can of diced tomatoes, diced onions, minced garlic, some water and then curry powder/cumin/garlic/salt/pepper/crushed red pepper/coriander/whatever you like. I usually mix it with cottage cheese and serve over rice. Good stuff :)

I also make a spinach and tomato soup with 1 big can each of crushed and diced tomatoes plus 1 can of water, a bag of frozen spinach, diced onion, and a tablespoon of butter. You can use fresh spinach too, just wilt it in at the end, but frozen is way cheaper so that's what I usually use.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I use spinach to make a lean meatloaf (turkey, chicken or beef) moist. I just whir the spinach with the egg in the food processor or blender to make a green goo then assemble the meatloaf or meatball recipe as usual. It makes the color a little off but not much and the moistness is hard to beat. With the rest of the stuff one puts in meatloaf, you don't taste the spinach.
  • sheeriolove
    sheeriolove Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I take some minced garlic and a drop of olive oil in a sauce pan for 1 minute, then add some tuna. cook for 3 minutes. remove the tuna. add some baby spinach leaves to the pan and cook for another 3 minutes. add in a half cup of pasta sauce and whala! a nice healthy (sorta) dinner
  • nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    Frozen chopped spinach 10oz.
    Can of Campbell's healthy request cream of mushroom.
    Garlic Powder

Makes two servings at 135 calories