What kind of Elliptical is good to buy?

Options
lwestmill
lwestmill Posts: 91 Member
I've lost enough weight that my hubby is excited enough to buy me an Elliptical. So I can spend more time at home.:wink::wink: :laugh:

He probably wants food and his clothes clean since I haven't much time to do those things lately. :sad:
I am going to Sears because they are having a great sale but I might not buy one there. Any suggestions?

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

If I was in your shoes, I would ask him to buy two (2) gym memberships for you and him, so you can both exercise together.

I do not like to the do the same exercise, over and over. I get bored and my body stops responding to the exercise (infamous plateau).

Try a variety of exercises and start weightlifting, you will enjoy it.

Good luck in your healthy journey
  • cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I like the ones with a fan, different inclines, and a good screen. Also, a place to put an ipod or phone and a bottle of water. Speakers ^^
  • dietonthego
    dietonthego Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I chose my elliptical as I felt comfortable with the gliding motion. I used to run on the treadmill but love the fact is there is no impact on the knees. It gives you a great shape from behind and sculpts the quads and the hamstrings. It is a perfect cardio workout and I never tire of using it. It was a gift I purchased for myself after winning a sales contest. It was the best purchase I have ever made. I love it!
  • MayBabyChristine
    MayBabyChristine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I got the Horizon Fitness EX-57 Elliptical Trainer from amazon. It was on sale for $400 shipped. I've used it weekly or more for a year and it still runs well, though I put it on the top setting (8) to get enough resistance. But 45 minutes of that and my muscles are fried. I alternate that with running outside and it works well for me!
  • lwestmill
    Options
    I wish there was a like button to like all your comments. Thanks to everyone.

I do have a gym pass, but he doesn't. He is skinny and works most of the time. I tend to work many hours too and since I walk to and from work to get in my exercise time, it doesn't leave me much time at home.

I find that I do like the Elliptical when I do get to the gym, and that is all I am drawn to. Its weird, I should motivate myself into other areas of the gym but right now, its what I happy doing. I don't like working out. Yet.

I picked out a NordicTrac at Sears tonight, with the Memorial Day Discounts to help with the cost. It felt comfortable to get on and off and easy to glide. Some were awkward and harder to pump. And of course, since my hubby was there, I am now set up with every bell and whistle that I haven't a clue about. I think I can go on a Google trip and work out in any county or state. It will change speed and resistance when I go up and down hills. And for $15 dollars more, now I will be able to connect with Juilian and hear her screech at me for one year. (not so much happy with that idea but he thought she would motivate me more). Augh... I'll probably will just listen to music with my I-phone and turn on the fan. Let my daughter play with all the extras.

The excitement will be when I it finally arrives. So I have this week to clean up the basement and find it a new spot. Hope it fits and I don't hit my head on the ceiling. I didn't really check that all out. :blushing:
    :embarassed:

I'm sure it will fit somewhere!
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Gratz on your loss and health investment. :)

I just killed my Proform. :sad: I miss it badly.
    I'm awaiting a Schwinn. I can only say I liked
    my Proform. It was my first. A girl always
    cherishes her first. lol Hopefully you get a great
    one. They are terrific on the knees compared
    to other fitness options.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    0040618868639_A?$img_size_380x380$

love my Proform, Good quality for the price.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    The kind that is a stair stepper, hahaha!

Seriously, though. Ellipticals are one of the more ineffective cardio tools, because they do all of the work for you. If you really want a murderous burn, invest in a stair stepper.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a like button to like all your comments. Thanks to everyone.

I do have a gym pass, but he doesn't. He is skinny and works most of the time. I tend to work many hours too and since I walk to and from work to get in my exercise time, it doesn't leave me much time at home.

I find that I do like the Elliptical when I do get to the gym, and that is all I am drawn to. Its weird, I should motivate myself into other areas of the gym but right now, its what I happy doing. I don't like working out. Yet.

I picked out a NordicTrac at Sears tonight, with the Memorial Day Discounts to help with the cost. It felt comfortable to get on and off and easy to glide. Some were awkward and harder to pump. And of course, since my hubby was there, I am now set up with every bell and whistle that I haven't a clue about. I think I can go on a Google trip and work out in any county or state. It will change speed and resistance when I go up and down hills. And for $15 dollars more, now I will be able to connect with Juilian and hear her screech at me for one year. (not so much happy with that idea but he thought she would motivate me more). Augh... I'll probably will just listen to music with my I-phone and turn on the fan. Let my daughter play with all the extras.

The excitement will be when I it finally arrives. So I have this week to clean up the basement and find it a new spot. Hope it fits and I don't hit my head on the ceiling. I didn't really check that all out. :blushing:
    :embarassed:

I'm sure it will fit somewhere!

You " don't like working out", huh? Is that so? Hahahaha, that's seriously hilarious. :laugh:

NOBODY likes working out, honey. The very few who do worked their way up to that point, nobody was born thinking "Hm, it sounds like a blast to go shred my muscles at the gym and work up a nice hot drippy sweat! That sounds better than relaxing at home!" :noway: That mentality is EARNED from weeks and months and years of hitting it hard at the gym and learning to love it.

Myself and most of the people I know don't do it because they LIKE the actual act. We do it because it's the only way we're gonna look good naked, and it makes us feel good for the rest of the day. Don't fool yourself into thinking you have to LIKE it to do it. Just do it.
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Seriously, though. Ellipticals are one of the more ineffective cardio tools, because they do all of the work for you. If you really want a murderous burn, invest in a stair stepper.

It can be easy if you only use level one incline and resistance. Try highest incline and resistance for an hour and then say its not tough!
  • lwestmill
    Options

Sorry you killed your Proform. So sad. But I remember as a kid, the Schwinn was the cats meow in bicycles! I'm sure it will work well for you. I bet you can't wait until it finally arrives. Once you hooked, you're hooked.

Wish I could have tried cruising on the Proform but Sears didn't have any. We live rural and Sears is our only store that sales around my house. The bigger city is 45 minutes away. Wanted to get one before he changed his mind. : )
  • lwestmill
    Options
    It can be easy if you only use level one incline and resistance. Try highest incline and resistance for an hour and then say its not tough!

Edmond,
    I think I will have to work up to this challenge. I know you got to start somewhere. The salesman said the machine shows the Google maps and its "supposed" to follow the roads. So, if the road has a incline, it will follow and start the resistance. I'll have to work it to believe it if I am able to figure out the bells and whistles. Lets hope its easy so I can figure out how to use it. LOL Otherwise, again my kids will have to TEACH me. What town has the least amount of hills ???:smile::wink:
  • lwestmill
    Options

Alloutof_Bubb

Well, I looked at your pic and you look GREAT! Absolutely fantastic! I am over 50 (I won't say how above) I road horses, I drove my own motorcycle, road dirt bikes, lifted weights, all this was with my best friends and we had a blast. I was a cheerleader and we used to jump up and drop to the floor doing knee drops. I used to squat and lift girls above my head and flip them. I did flips! Now , I can't even be on my knees to wash and wax my floors, (oddly, that is what I would love to do.) My knees are not so good. My feet have heal spurs and the stair stepper is a bit rough on me. A tread mill pulls the back of my heals and I only can go up 3 miles per hour. When I wear sandals/ flip flops, it about kills me. Sometimes I have had soak my feet in a bucket of ice to get the swelling to go down. So no, I don't run anymore. I'm not jealous. I loved my body when I was young and I would never change my life for the world. I was hot in the day and I'm a bit over it. Now, I focus on my family and work. Getting ready for retirement, saving and fixing up my homes (5). Life is settling down and I'm just taking it a little slower. But you go girl! I love the pics! You do look fantastic and it shows your efforts. Sincerely for you, have a happy youth, look good and enjoy it !!!
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

Sorry you killed your Proform. So sad. But I remember as a kid, the Schwinn was the cats meow in bicycles! I'm sure it will work well for you. I bet you can't wait until it finally arrives. Once you hooked, you're hooked.

Wish I could have tried cruising on the Proform but Sears didn't have any. We live rural and Sears is our only store that sales around my house. The bigger city is 45 minutes away. Wanted to get one before he changed his mind. : )

I can't wait. If you're in no hurry I can give you my input on the Schwinn. I did see it had just
    over 4★s. There were tons of reviews and barely anything negative. It is a tad larger is all
    but they all seem pretty big. Walmart can have Schwinn delivered to you if you chose it! :)
  • lwestmill
    Options

I can't wait. If you're in no hurry I can give you my input on the Schwinn. I did see it had just
    over 4★s. There were tons of reviews and barely anything negative. It is a tad larger is all
    but they all seem pretty big. Walmart can have Schwinn delivered to you if you chose it! :)

Thanks! but the Nordic will be delivered on Thursday. Not sure if its going to be the "ONE" but I'm getting to give it a try. Post your thoughts on the Schwinn. My sister is reading all of this and she said she's interested. I'll let you know how this one goes too.