Calf soreness, is it good or bad? help!

Options
Some web say soreness mean getting stronger, and other say soreness is dangerous. So, which one is it?
Im new and my calf hurts when im walking up stair or down stair. Should i keep excercising? *im excercising everyday, 1 hour per day* or should i take break like 1 or 2 days?
But if i stop doing it, i will feel lazy. What should i do? Help pls.

Replies

• CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would say its okay to be that sore sometimes but not every day permanently. You could try stretching about 10 minutes longer than you normally do. If you want to add yoga that would help also. Generally 6 workouts a week should be okay. Make sure you are eating enough potassium.
  • angelica_lisa
    angelica_lisa Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Have you tried stretching after you exercise, targeting your calf muscles? I know when I don't properly do a cool down stretch my muscles tend to be more sore.
  • JLoescher01
    JLoescher01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I, too, get calf soreness with just starting out. I find that going a little lighter every other day and nice warm baths with epsom salts helps a lot!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I think there is a difference between soreness and pain.

Soreness is a symptom of exercising muscles that have not been used in awhile and/or overdoing it. For me, this passes with proper stretching and drinking lots of water. I continue to exercise through this.

Pain is a whole different ball game for me, and often feels like I've pulled something. This is when I need to take it easy and take a break from exercise for the affected area and let it heal. In other word, I pulled a muscle in my arm, I can still walk and work on my legs at the gym.
  • LiaNa2210
    LiaNa2210 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. i already did calf stretch. Like calf raise, or runner's stretch (idk if its the right name, thts what i found in google), or drop step. But im still confused. How many reps each strech? I usually do 5 reps each. Dont know if its the right amount or not.

If i only excercise 6 days/week. I have a feeling i will get lazy on the day i take a break. And then tom i will stop excercising. Im new after all... i need to make workout become my routine.

JLo, i will try it :)

Btw.. thanks all. For the answer :)
  • LiaNa2210
    Options
    I think there is a difference between soreness and pain.

Soreness is a symptom of exercising muscles that have not been used in awhile and/or overdoing it. For me, this passes with proper stretching and drinking lots of water. I continue to exercise through this.

Pain is a whole different ball game for me, and often feels like I've pulled something. This is when I need to take it easy and take a break from exercise for the affected area and let it heal. In other word, I pulled a muscle in my arm, I can still walk and work on my legs at the gym.

In my case, which one is it? Umm... its not every time... its just when im walking up or down stair. I have no problem when doing other thing. Sitting, walking. Running *well yeah, hurt a little*.
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Oh I have been there several times and now it's muscle:-) But I did learn that proper stretching does help before and after your workout and I did give my calves time to heal...approx 2 days. I think it is a good kind of pain but if it doesn't go away after some rest then I would get it checked out.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Foam roll/ lacrosse/tennis ball/ - mash that calf as well as stretch.
  • LiaNa2210
    Options
    My calf ia pretty much cured now. Thanks all. I just need to rest it for today *well not rlly bcs today i will be walking allday* at least from excercise :)

Is tht some kind of workout? I will check it on google. Btw thanks again all
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Soreness says nothing about workout intensity, some people (like me) get sore very quickly, and some people never get sore.
    A bit of soreness isn't bad, but it should go away in 2-3 days.
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi, some slight soreness is okay but, it sounds like you need to take a break for a day in order to allow the muscle to rest and restore. Don't worry this isn't laziness, it's smart. you don't want to injure yourself. You can always work on stretching or another type of workout that doesn't strain the calves.
  • LiaNa2210
    Options
    Hi, some slight soreness is okay but, it sounds like you need to take a break for a day in order to allow the muscle to rest and restore. Don't worry this isn't laziness, it's smart. you don't want to injure yourself. You can always work on stretching or another type of workout that doesn't strain the calves.

Can u tell my workout tht not involve calves? I usually do excercise tht pretty much involve calves or every part of the body, so idk what workout tht wont strain calves.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy and running for a whole year without sore calf's, the other day I did elliptical and now my calf's are sore and I only did that for ten minutes!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    LiaNa2210 wrote: »
    Yeah.. i already did calf stretch. Like calf raise, or runner's stretch (idk if its the right name, thts what i found in google), or drop step. But im still confused. How many reps each strech? I usually do 5 reps each. Dont know if its the right amount or not.

If i only excercise 6 days/week. I have a feeling i will get lazy on the day i take a break. And then tom i will stop excercising. Im new after all... i need to make workout become my routine.

JLo, i will try it :)

Btw.. thanks all. For the answer :)

calf raises are a calf exercise, not a stretch. If drop step is the thing where you put the balls of your feet on a step and lower your heels below the level of the step, that also is an exercise, not a stretch. In general, and especially if your calves are already sore, you want to stretch your calf in a way that's not weight bearing (e.g., weight on other leg from the one you're stretching, or seated or floor stretches).
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I have persistently right calves, so I do a wall stretch for 20 sec x 3 each side and foam roll each calf 60 sec. I do this twice a day after using a heating pad on my calves for 10min. You may not need that intensity - I tore my calf muscle on a short walk because they just get really really tight. But maybe these 2 things can help when you get sore.
    vsg4sk3h5ngg.jpeg
    9bsob90bzdj1.jpeg
  • jivnorton
    jivnorton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yoga one day a week instead of cardio might really help and is good for preventing energy flexibility is important to avoid injury
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Thread is over 4 yrs old for those who care.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    Thread is over 4 yrs old for those who care.

Dang! Fooled by a zombie reanimation!