What could have been bad...

PearlAng
PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
Cake was being served at my cousin's birthday party today, so of course I had a piece. I was enjoying it, when a family friend asked me "since when do you eat cake?!"

Well, with a past full of disordered eating that eventually became anorexia, I could've responded in numerous ways.

The whole room seemed to stop and look at me, here I am, the "health guru", the runner, the skinny one who starved herself and had to gain the weight back, eating a slice of cake!

And I racked my brain for an answer, should I say something witty? Should I be offended? Should I explain how I'm trying to be more accepting and allow myself to enjoy food rather than put it off limits?

I simply ended up saying "since...birth"

The room laughed with the relief of knowing that I wasn't offended. And that was about it. I was proud that her comment didn't trigger me in the way that comments like that used to. Don't ever let them get to you!

Replies

• _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Great reply, some people need to think before they speak but you handled it beautifully. :flowerforyou:
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    ...and yes I smiled with the reply.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!