No results

Options
So I have been exercising and eating healthier for about 5 weeks now. I know I shouldn't expect instant results but at this point I should see something.

I don't count calories but I just eat really healthy full sized portions. I run/walk on an incline on the treadmill 5 days a week for around 45-60min. I have been measuring my thighs and stomach as well and yet there is no difference.

I eat plenty and always eat the right foods, but nothing is making a difference.

Can someone please help me figure out why? Or is it just going to take longer until I see results? thank you.

Replies

• lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Start logging, even if it is for a week. because even eating healthy you could still be eating at maintenance or higher. weigh, measure and log everything. Calories in vs calories out. I don't eat healthy all the time but I log all my food and fit everything into my allotted calories.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

For my 2 cents worth the biggest issue around why you aren't seeing any results, directly correlates to the fact that you are not accurately tracking your calories.

In essence you have no idea what amount of calories you are consuming. Glad you have tightened up your diet and are eating 'healthy food' and incorporating exercise. Bottom line is it is TOO many .....eyeballing portions is notoriously inaccurate.....

I would entreat you to invest in a digital food scale and weigh and log EVERY single thing that yo eat. Get this routine of weighing, logging consistently going for at least a couple of months and see where that knowledge leads you.
  • saraM926
    saraM926 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion: The treadmill can be good cardio, but shouldn't shed inches like doing strength or core workouts. Counting calories is also efficient since you know exactly how many is going in.

If you don't want to spend any money, look up Fitness Blender on youtube and see if some of there videos could be useful to you. I just started using their videos and I think they're professional and my whole body hurts after each workout. These videos will target areas better than simply walking/running on a treadmill.

I think counting calories won't hurt you for a little while (at least to see if it could help) and try something besides the treadmill. It seems what you are doing isn't working, so try something else.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

I don't count calories

^^ I found your problem for you. ^^

If you are not tracking your intake accurately, pardon the expression, just how in the hell can you know for sure you are eating at a deficit?

The answer, of course, is that you CAN'T be sure. It is extremely easy to overestimate food portions, often by a staggering amount by the end of the day. You need to start logging. Invest in a little kitchen scale, and weigh everything that is not a liquid. (Meaning: a "cup of cubed chicken" will not fly. Use the weight of it.) Come back and reassess after several consistent weeks of this, and you will have results, guaranteed.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

I eat plenty and always eat the right foods

This line is also very telling. The "right foods" do not exist. There are no "good" or "bad" foods, just reasonable and unreasonable portion sizes. You are eating too much. I am literally willing to bet $2,000 cash on that.

If you go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level, it will tell you the number of calories you are burning every day through your daily activities.

Subtract 10-20% from the number that it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. Super easy.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I eat plenty and always eat the right foods

This line is also very telling. The "right foods" do not exist. There are no "good" or "bad" foods, just reasonable and unreasonable portion sizes. You are eating too much. I am literally willing to bet $2,000 cash on that.

If you go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level, it will tell you the number of calories you are burning every day through your daily activities.

Subtract 10-20% from the number that it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. Super easy.

Start counting calories. Full size portions make them smaller.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy does not equal weight loss. You can eat healthy and still eat more calories than you need. Great for your health in general, not going to help you lose weight though.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You mention twice that you eat a lot and also say you don't count calories. I'd guess that is your problem right there.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    So I have been exercising and eating healthier for about 5 weeks now. I know I shouldn't expect instant results but at this point I should see something.

I don't count calories but I just eat really healthy full sized portions. I run/walk on an incline on the treadmill 5 days a week for around 45-60min. I have been measuring my thighs and stomach as well and yet there is no difference.

I eat plenty and always eat the right foods, but nothing is making a difference.

Can someone please help me figure out why? Or is it just going to take longer until I see results? thank you.
    Welcome. The bottom line is all the healthy eating in the world won't lead to weight loss unless you eat less calories than you burn. For many of us, this means weighing all our food and logging. For others it means just cutting down until they start losing weight. You need to find the method that works for you.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You are eating too much.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Calories in/calories out.

Calories in/calories out.

Log, log, log.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    There's a chick at work who is on a diet. She ploughs through maybe 400 cals at morning tea, 500 cals at lunch, don't know what she has for brekkie, arvo tea or dinner but the rate she operates at she's going to gain, not lose.

I asked her if she counted calories. "No," she said. "I eat clean". hmm.

Well, ye cannae change the laws of physics. A calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss. you might be eating 500 cals of fresh fruit and greek yoghurt with raw honey, but it's still 500 cals.

Without knowing what you are consuming you cannot make weight-loss choices. :) it's absolutely key. Otherwise you can diet for a year and not lose an ounce.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    There is also the fact that if you only do the same exercise all the time, your body adapts and becomes more efficient at that exercise, which means it takes longer and/or higher intensity to burn the same amount of calories you did when you started.

I agree that not counting calories is a big part of the issue, and that there is no real "good" food from a caloric intake perspective. Sure, you can eat all organic or whatever you quantify as good, but if you eat "full sized" portions that are on par with the average American estimation of said portions, it means you're likely eating 2-3 servings with each portion, and often doubling if not more the amount of calories you are taking in.

While people can often continue to see results from doing things like a treadmill every day, most people who see consistent results with repetitive exercise like that are people moving from a sedentary lifestyle and high weight to utilizing such things for the first time. Even so, everyone's body will learn to do those exercises more efficiently over time. An easy way to get the best "bang for your buck" is to put variety into your routine, especially now that you've established a routine of working out consistently 5 days a week. Swap out some of those treadmill minutes for strength training or even calisthenics, just something different so there's a little bit of a mix going on.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    You gotta log. If you're not losing weight then you're eating more than you think