Treadmill and elliptical calorie counts?

Options
I don't so much trust my treadmill, but my elliptical has an option to put in my weight and has my heart rate on there with sensors. My elliptical says I burn around 350 calories in 25 minutes but myfitnesspal counter is saying it's a lot less than that.

How accurate are the machines' calorie counters? What should I trust?

Replies

• fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    always opt for the lower number!
  • Rigra74
    Rigra74 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    those machines are designed to read numbers for a 150 pound man. I would say the treadmill is probably closer to accurate than that elliptical machine. In order to burn 325 calories in 25 minutes you would have to be pushing incredibly hard and be just about wiped after that. If you do some google searches you'll find that the average person burns roughly 100 calories per mile. This can vary depending on a few variables but not by much. I read an article that said walking at 4.5 miles per hour burns the same calories as running at 4.5 miles per hour but that's where they stop being the same burn. Running at faster paces will burn more calories than walking. ....besides....who can walk at 4.5 miles per hour? The elliptical seems to put up big numbers but it seems a bit suspect...almost too good to be true.
  • eglass64
    eglass64 Posts: 180
    Options
    well I just back from the gym, worked the elyptical for 35 m to 510 cals, my wife same machine and time came in at 345 cals. I would go with the machine count.
  • eglass64
    eglass64 Posts: 180
    Options
    well I just back from the gym, worked the elyptical for 35 m to 510 cals, my wife same machine and time came in at 345 cals. I would go with the machine count.
  • Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    From what I have seen, the exercise calorie counts are put in by members. If your machine allows you to put in your weight and heart rate sensors, I'd go with the machines count. Just my opinion.