50lbs lost - finally feeling a difference!

Options
I've lost a little over 50lbs so far (54, exactly) and I still have a ways to go, but I'm still happy with it. I can tell a difference and I've gotten more and more people saying "wow, you've lost weight!" Everyone wants to know what I'm 'using' to diet - which shakes? what bars? what meds? And while that's not what I'm doing, it still feels good to have people ask! I'm eating better, eating less, and moving more. Once I have a steady income again I'm hoping to find a gym to join and get some help toning a bit as I lose.

This is very, very big to me. My crippling social anxiety is, well, slightly less crippling than normal. I don't shuffle along and hope that no one notices me anymore. Three years ago I caught swine flu, died for a few minutes, and got to relearn to walk and everything. The first few months that I had been out of the hospital, it was so bad that I didn't even leave my house except for physical therapy and doctor visits - people tend to look at you funny when you're 20 and have to ride the little scooters in Walmart or when you have to use a walker to get around. The first time I went to a follow up doctor appointment after the hospital I had a panic attack so bad that I passed out. Now I work in a vet hospital without freaking out because it "smells like a hospital." I'm even feeling brave enough to try going to a gym, which means that I'll probably be surrounded by people in way better shape than me and that doesn't scare me enough to change my mind anymore.

I decided to treat myself to a little vacation, something I haven't done in waaaaaaay too long. I just moved back in with my parents after giving up my apartment so I could do my clinicals 8 hours away from home and I'm realizing how much I miss being on my own, so I need to get away for a little bit. I just graduated college summa cum laude and the top person in my program. I'm alive and kicking (being not-dead is definitely a high point for me). I'm finally getting myself healthy and now that other people see the difference too, they're not nitpicking and teasing me about my food choices anymore.

I think I'm at a good point to reward myself a little bit! I printed my tickets last night for a four day music festival that I'm really looking forward to. I'm a music person, but its been 7 long years since I went to a concert. Way overdue. And I'll be camping during the festival - I've never been camping before, but always wanted to. I just never had anyone to go with. I can't wait! I'm telling myself that this is a graduation/weight loss gift to myself.

Thanks for listening as I rambled on about being proud of myself =] lol

Replies

• edodson85
    edodson85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've never replied to anyone's post before but i felt extremely compelled to do so upon reading yours. You should be proud of your self for you achievements, you have done AMAZINGLY well. I couldn't help but smile with joy for you while reading you story. Praise and recognition is needed in everyone's lives and just wanted to pass mine on to you. keep up what you're doing :-) xx
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of yourself for your achievements so far, not only with your weight loss but for pushing through the anxiety and doing things with your life. I'm sure you'll have a blast at the festival and will continue to lose weight on your return :flowerforyou:
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    What they said but also: you're gorgeous. had you not realised?

Your face, your hair. Just beautiful.
  • Blair_Waldorf
    Blair_Waldorf Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You're awesome! Great job so far! I love reading stories like this, it's very inspirational and motivating for me. I'm also a music lover and going to concerts is one of my favorite things to do, although I've never camped out. Have fun at the festival and keep up the great work!
  • itistobeme
    itistobeme Posts: 12
    Options
    Great, inspirational post. Take a bathroom bag camping with you and you'll not be sorry! Your own roll of tp, hand sanitizer/wipes and a flashlight + whatever else you need. Have fun!
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Well done! Really inspiring to read, especially since I also have social anxiety issues. I hope you have a fabulous time at the concert!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Great job!! You should be so proud of yourself! Getting over anxiety is a hard thing to deal with and choosing to face it head on takes a lot of guts!

I did my first camping festival last year in Germany after having lost about 60 lbs also ;). It was a little touch and go the first day. I wasn't sure I could deal with it. but thankfully I had ear plugs and since we had rented tents we were in a little quieter area - still had drunk people stumbling by yelling all night but it was better than the main camps. By the third day of 5 I adapted. We're getting ready for one of the only camping festivals happening here (in Canada) in a month and I'm really excited too!

I hope you have a great time!
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring story. Congrats!
  • jwilson812
    jwilson812 Posts: 16
    Options
    I've spent my entire life feeling socially awkward, so I understand how you feel! Congrats on your big 50 =D keep pushing!
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Great progress! Best of luck as you continue.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Great job, you should be proud of yourself, and have fun at the festival! Just being thankful to be alive is a great thing.
  • AngJac77
    AngJac77 Posts: 37
    Options
    WOW! Very well done! Have an awesome time at the festival!
  • weblur
    weblur Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You are awesome!
  • myndikins
    myndikins Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks everyone :flowerforyou: You made me cry and made me feel good about myself. Thanks for the support and all the kind words. MFP is such a great place!
  • myndikins
    myndikins Posts: 39
    Options
    Also, I've gotten a ton of friend requests after this. Awesome =] Thanks!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!