last few pounds-impossible?

Options
i would say that i am fairly happy with the way i look, i have noticeably got much more stronger and fitter since day 1. however, for around 5 months i've been stuck on the same weight and look the same. i'm not saying that i need to lose this extra bit of weight but is something that i want to do, especially for the summer hols, and with no doubt i will stick with it for the rest of my life. i dont eat any processed food - all raw,whole grain, lean protein sources, lots of fruit and veg, i do 1.5 hours of speed walking a day and then tennis for half an hour and a fitness dvd (45ish minutes) at around 6 pm. i have tried cutting a few calories but i just get more hungry and end up eating more, i have a high protein, medium fat and slightly less carb diet.

any ways to lose these last few pounds for a leaner physique?

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Do you calorie count?
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Start counting your calories and do so accurately (weigh your food) and you will get there.

Read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

and this post list other post of interest: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

Also your aim for goal weight loss per week for the last few pounds should be .5 lbs per week.
  • 1FearlessFighter
    1FearlessFighter Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Do you calorie count?

i have pretty much the same foods each day eg, for breakfast i have fat free greek yoghurt with 2 pieces of fruit and 40g nuts but the fruit and nut changes each day, and its like that with each of my meals and on average i eat 2100 calories, 95g sugar, 1g sodium, 150g protein, 100g fat, 110g carbs
  • jcolier
    jcolier Posts: 64
    Options
    I'd start with cutting out the sugar, your body does not need it. Replace it with vegetables!
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Most liquids one drinks are high in calories...empty calories...no protein for example. One relatively easy fix to lose those last few lbs is to drink only water, coffee, green tea..maybe an occasional diet drink. Stop drinking booze all together.

Not necessary a popular decision, but I found it to be an effective one for me.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you're probably eating at maintenance. Since you're probably within a healthy weight range, losing fat is going to be much more difficult and slow. All you can really do is slightly decrease your caloric intake and see how your body responds over time. If you feel like it would be too difficult to noticeably reduce your food further, you could eat higher volumes of low-cal vegetables and fewer fruit, grains, and meat. Your overall food volume won't seem to change but your calorie intake will.
  • 1FearlessFighter
    Options
    the sugar comes from fruit ( about 4 pieces -is this too much?) and yoghurt ( one 500g pot a day), should i limit to 2 serving of fruit
  • 1FearlessFighter
    Options
    i always thought cardio was more effective than weight training since it does burn as much calorie, so i usually do running, swimming, boxing
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'd start with cutting out the sugar, your body does not need it. Replace it with vegetables!

NO. It is not necessary to cut out any type of foods to lose weight. Barring a health problem, all you need is a calorie deficit.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    i always thought cardio was more effective than weight training since it does burn as much calorie, so i usually do running, swimming, boxing

Cardio is great for burning fat but can also burn lean muscle so as your weight goes down, your body fat percentage may not...I'm not saying don't do cardio. I ran 14 miles today. But you are doing the same workouts all the time and your body gets used to it. Add in weights and mix up the workouts a little more aaaaaand actually weigh and log everything you eat. I'm sure you will see some changes in the next couple months. Good luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You are eating at maintenance if your weight has been stable for so long.

To lose weight you need to create a calorie deficit through less food or more activity.
    If you want the weight loss to be almost exclusively fat rather than fat and lean mass then you should think about adding strength training.

Suggest you log your food accurately and then take a small cut in calories - simple as that.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I am like you, and have about 10-12 pounds to lose to be at maintenance and have been at a plateau for about 3 months.

Weight training does not burn that many calories while you are doing it. It is after you stop that the muscles in your body burn calories to repair itself. I am still learning about it--just passing along info that I recently read.

As you get more fit, you have to exert more effort to burn the calories, sadly. It might help you to change up your exercise routine.

Also increase your water intake. I have had a difficult time drinking 8 glasses of water per day due to my crazy work schedule, but it is important to hydrate the body and it helps with metabolism and weight loss. Again, still reading about it.

I am hoping (and planning) to move off the plateau soon and start losing again. I have been munching on more raw veggies between meals, and plan to increase weight lifting time and energy by another 15 minutes per day.

good luck to you. A lot of us in the same boat.
  • 1FearlessFighter
    Options
    what should i start with, 100? 200? 300? calorie deficit a day, i could cut 20g of nuts and 2 serving of fruit a day
  • 1FearlessFighter
    Options
    i only drink water and unsweetened soy milk totalling to just about 1.5 litres a day, do i need to drink more and what benefit does drinking more water do in terms of weight loss
  • logg1e
    Options
    How do you know what your calorie intake is if you are not accurately counting and recording Kyri?
  • 1FearlessFighter
    Options
    i do record, and since i have pretty much the same foods each day i just took an average of what i have in a week
  • logg1e
    Options
    Do you know what calorie deficit MFP or a TDEE calculations recommends?
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    the sugar comes from fruit ( about 4 pieces -is this too much?) and yoghurt ( one 500g pot a day), should i limit to 2 serving of fruit

You are eating fine. just up your exercise a little and it will SLOWLY come off.

question though: what do you weigh, how old are you, how tall? Maybe you are actually trying to get too thin?
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would decrease carbs, increase protein, and lift more weights. If you don't lose weight you'll at least lose inches so you'll be muscular.