another exercise instead of deadlifts

Options
I've been working out at home and have been doing some weight training. I've watched several videos of deadlifting to see how my form should be but I feel I still don't have it 100% right and I'm affraid of injury. I can't afford a session of a trainer now so I was wondering if there are other forms of exercise that "mimic" a deadlift? I squat, bench press and do overhead press. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Keep working on your deadlifting form and just keep the weight moderate until you get it down. It's too good of an exercise not to push to improve.

That said, good mornings are another good exercise for your lower back and hamstrings.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are not essential despite what people claim. Rows and pull ups/pulldowns will hit your back and if you feel you need extra hamstring stimulation after squats try good mornings, romanian deadlifts (which are simpler than dls and done for higher reps) or a hamstring curl if you have the option.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    essential or not..... deadlifts trump all those listed exercises hands down. there is no comparison to the benefits of deadlifts vs rows/pull ups/etc....

as for form, just start with the bar if you have to, there is no shame in working your form to perfection. i still revert to just the bar or very light weight just for the motor pattern recruitment. once you feel you have got the form down then start adding weight. work more til your form starts to break down again, then back off a little weight and work form again. the best powerlifters in the world do it this way. they dont just grab the bar with 800lbs and pick it up. its all about technique, leverages, and understanding of how the deadlifts actually works.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Read the book "Starting Strength". It discusses deadlift form in detail! I don't think any trainer could teach me about form better than that book.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a trap bar you could do trap bar deadlifts. They are not as good as conventional, but safer since the position of a trapbar deadlift is naturally more upright.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Rack pulls?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Another option is to video yourself and see if it looks right. And post it here too to get feedback from the trainers. You can block out your face if you want.
  • phatguerilla
    Options
    essential or not..... deadlifts trump all those listed exercises hands down. there is no comparison to the benefits of deadlifts vs rows/pull ups/etc....

What does 'benefit' mean in this context? If you're looking for lat/rhomboid/teres stimulation and growth then rows will trump deads. If you're looking for hamstring growth then rdls' will likely trump regular deads. If you're talking 'gh production' or other assorted unnoticeable claims then you're right....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are not essential despite what people claim. Rows and pull ups/pulldowns will hit your back and if you feel you need extra hamstring stimulation after squats try good mornings, romanian deadlifts (which are simpler than dls and done for higher reps) or a hamstring curl if you have the option.

you do realize a dead lift is a compound lift and offers more bang for buck than all of those isolation exercises combined right?

Just because you are struggling to learn something doesn't mean you should just give up on it. That's silly.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Another option is to video yourself and see if it looks right. And post it here too to get feedback from the trainers. You can block out your face if you want.

this...we have a thread in the SL group just for that and we have lots of lifters who can point out small things to help you out.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    use your cellphone or laptop to video yourself while lifting. do not look at yourself during the set. while resting in between sets, check out the video. you'll be able to see what deficiencies you have in your form and correct them the next set.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Read the book "Starting Strength". It discusses deadlift form in detail! I don't think any trainer could teach me about form better than that book.

Over nine thousand this. SS is a great book for what it does do - teaching good form.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Agree with reading Starting Strength. He also has a ton of great videos on youtube. Also, there are deadlift variations which you can look into. Exercises such as good mornings, back extensions, reverse hypers, supermans, are also great exercises for your posterior chain.

But I also believe that you should not give up on learning conventional deadlifts. They really are a great exercise. Keep light weight and as others have said, video it and review it yourself or put it up here for form review.
  • phatguerilla
    Options

you do realize a dead lift is a compound lift and offers more bang for buck than all of those isolation exercises combined right?

Just because you are struggling to learn something doesn't mean you should just give up on it. That's silly.

You realize rows, chin ups, squats and rdls are all compound lifts too? I'll ask you what I asked the other person, what definable 'bang for your buck' does a deadlift have that these others don't have? Do you understand that being able to do a lift properly give you way more 'bang for your buck' than a lift you can't do?

The dogma on this forum is so backwards at times.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

You realize rows, chin ups, squats and rdls are all compound lifts too? I'll ask you what I asked the other person, what definable 'bang for your buck' does a deadlift have that these others don't have? Do you understand that being able to do a lift properly give you way more 'bang for your buck' than a lift you can't do?

The dead lift is an incredibly functional exercise. Arguing about whether an exercise is essential seems a bit pointless to me, but when you consider bang for your workout time it's a hard one to beat. The same goes for the other big compound movements, such as the squat, OHP, and bench press, along with the oly lifts. To that I'd add pull ups, dips, and rows (Kroc or barbell). The point is not discount an exercise because it's difficult, but to instead learn it.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

You sound like a pretty knowledgeable guy, so I'm confused as to why you are so hell bent on bashing Deadlifts?

Simply stated, Deadlifts and Barbell Squats are the 2 best lifts because they work 1/3+ of the muscles in your body. Rows & Chin Ups don't even come close to this. Row, Chin Ups, and RDLs are considered by most to be "accessory lifts" for a reason.

That said if one is not able to perform a lift properly then they need to learn how to do so and not give up and blow off the lift. I do not believe that the OP "can't do" a Deadlift. In my experiences I've never met someone, with proper coaching, who can't Deadlift. Curious if the OP isn't lifting 135lbs, does she have the barbell properly elevated off the floor? Just a hunch, but I bet that's the issue. All the OP needs to do is post a video and there's many people here, myself included, who could correct her form
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    they still meet the definition of 'compound lift', which i think was at least half his point
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Keep working on your deadlifting form and just keep the weight moderate until you get it down. It's too good of an exercise not to push to improve.

^ This. Start with light weights and get your form down first, then increase the weights. It's a fantastic exercise.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

a row is not a compound move- it's an isolation back move.- yeah it requires stabilization but it doesn't hold a candle to the functional over arching advantages of a dead lift.

a chin up is not a compound move. It's one of the biggest bicep isolation exercises you can do. Sure it hits a little back- but it's not a compound move.

and an RDL is not a compound move- all though its got more going for it than a stiff- it's still not competitive in terms of compound move. There is a reason why it's an accessory.

And yes- lifting SOMETHING- is better than lifting nothing- but just because you don't have it down right currently doesn't mean it's a useless lift.

That's like saying I'm going to throw away my entire oven because I don't know how to cook and I"m just going to use the microwave instead. It's completely nonsensical.

I can't fault this advice BUT the type B in me wants to at least make the argument that there's always a cost vs benefit thing going on. What I mean is, if something that is very very hard to learn (more time consuming) provides a certain benefit but something else that is easier to learn (less time investment) provides 90% same benefit it's worth asking the question, "is the extra 10% important to me?" The answer is different for everyone depending on their goals.
    there is truth to this.. to an extent.

My only hesitation in fully agreeing- esp since we don't have a clear idea of OP's goals- is that the dead lift is hands down the most practical fully translatable life out there to functional real life AND in terms of full body benefits. Just in terms of general day to day lift- learning how to pick crap up is the single most useful thing one can do- the dead lift teaches that- how much more functional can you get? Even with no intent to become a power lifter- you still need to know how to pick stuff up off the floor.

I would also argue in terms of goals- for someone who has little interest in weight lifting (not saying this is the OP- but in general) - that learning the 4 basic compounds are going to get you more out of your lifting than isolation lifts will- again- more bang for your buck- shopping at wal-mart and hitting all the things you need.

A runner who just wants a little more power doing weigh training will stand to gain far more from whole body compound lifts 2 times a week - so it takes him an extra 4 weeks to learn- it's still time well spent- instead of spinning his/her wheels doing isolation lifts for 6 months before realizing his/her running isn't' improving.

I dunno- unless you are training purely aesthetics/bb/fiture/fitness/physique- I see no reasons to train an isolation workout other than pure desire to do so- if the goal is strength, general body enhancement, and or general "functionality" than learning to do proper compound lifts is worth the time and effort.