I thought this was interesting.

Options

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    What is this? It's just one line stating that 80%of teenage girls have gone on a diet. A statistics that has probably been true for the past 40 years.

Is this one of those new things where you sign up, they add you to a number of people that "care" about an issue that way you can feel better about an issue without actually doing anything?
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    What is this? It's just one line stating that 80%of teenage girls have gone on a diet. A statistics that has probably been true for the past 40 years.

Is this one of those new things where you sign up, they add you to a number of people that "care" about an issue that way you can feel better about an issue without actually doing anything?

There's a video underneath the title.

Not watched it, don't have time. Yes it's awful that young girls and teens feel the need to "diet" especially when they are a healthy weight.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

I think you missed the video lower down on the page. It's a TED talk, and those are usually pretty good.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

I think you missed the video lower down on the page. It's a TED talk, and those are usually pretty good.

Okay, there it is. My old brain didn't see it with their style of formatting. Thanks.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

ah that's the spirit.

*sarcasm*
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Ok, I watched it. Cliff notes: your brain has a weight "set point" which it tries to maintain by changing hunger and satiety signals. Set points aren't necessarily a healthy weight. You can't lower your set point, but you can raise it if you stay overweight too long. Eating mindfully when hungry can help you stay at your set point. Also, even if you're obese, as long as you eat your veggies, drink your wine, don't smoke and do exercise, you're no more likely to die than people at a healthy weight, according to the graph in the video.

I'm not sure if I subscribe to the theory of a weight "set point." I would need to see some science.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Ok, I watched it. Cliff notes: your brain has a weight "set point" which it tries to maintain by changing hunger and satiety signals. Set points aren't necessarily a healthy weight. You can't lower your set point, but you can raise it if you stay overweight too long. Eating mindfully when hungry can help you stay at your set point. Also, even if you're obese, as long as you eat your veggies, drink your wine, don't smoke and do exercise, you're no more likely to die than people at a healthy weight, according to the graph in the video.

I'm not sure if I subscribe to the theory of a weight "set point." I would need to see some science.

I agree.

Interesting -
    http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/etiology-of-overweight-and-obesity-set-point-or-settling-point-
    http://www.psych-it.com.au/Psychlopedia/article.asp?id=399
    http://www.academia.edu/497061/The_Concept_of_a_Body_Fat_SetPoint
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2990627/