Foods that help your bowel :(

Options
amblight
amblight Posts: 350 Member
Well, TMI, I know, but it's a big problem for me....

I am doing low carb-ish (since I'm doing pretty low cal, while still wanting a lot of protein, carbs is what has to go! + bread and pasta is boring=not worth the calories), so yes, I'm not getting a lot of whole grain....

BUT, I'm rather eating a lot of fiber-full things (beans, brocolli, brussel sprouts, berries, aspurgus, egg plant, leafy veggies etc.), and lately I've been eating lots of seeds as well. But I'm actually only averaging 22g of fiber/day! Some of the entries I've made may not have had the fiber listed, I'm thinking

I also happen to eat a lot of kiwis lately, which is apparently also good for the bowel.

I'm hesitant to start snacking prunes, since they are rather high calorie, and not a food I'll enjoy much. But I may have to suck it up, and make room for them in my diet if things continue this way!

I drink A LOT of water, and I get 30% of my calories from fat, so I don't think those are the problem either...

I've always been slightly prone to constipation (apparently you're supposed to go every day????? I've never!), but it's pretty bad now.

Replies

• bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I defy your bowels to disobey 1/4 cabbage, steamed to soften (so you can eat it all). I admit it's pretty staunch disobeying the kiwifruit, which indicates a bowel of ill will... but nothing can withstand the mighty motivational force of cabbage.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Try psyllium husks to boost soluble fibre - 1 tsp in water daily should help keep things moving.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Try psyllium husks to boost soluble fibre - 1 tsp in water daily should help keep things moving.
    You beat me to it!
  • amblight
    Options
    I do like cabbage a lot! I've alway eaten it raw, and thus tend to get enough of the 'sting' it has (like raw onions), but I will try to steam it then... I'll eat 1/4 of a head for 4 days, see how I'm feeling :)
  • amblight
    Options
    I've been eating a "fiber mix" on my breakfast dairy for the past few days, and I now see that's deffinitely an incomplete entry, only macros, so it logs as 0 fiber... I'll fix that when I get home. Maybe thats even as fiberfull as a tea spoon husk. I'd prefer 'real food' over supplementd.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's not low carb, but I'd be impressed if your body can hold up to a peanut butter banana smoothie or a chia banana smoothie.

And try munching on grapes instead of prunes if you won't enjoy the prunes.

Chase either of those with some strong black coffee.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    22g a day is close to average as it's recommend people try to get 25. Pretty sure you are suppose to go everyday. I go 6 times a day but I have ibs. But I have been constipated before And I'd rather have diareah than be constipated.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer 'real food' over supplementd.
    Very thin line, frankly. If you're having natural psyllium husk (no added preservatives or any other additives) then it's probably more real than cereal lol. If fibre from vegetables and fruit (which is always preferable) makes you go over your carb limit then maybe try it. Anything is better than constipation. :sick:
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I actually LOVE prunes. They contain a naturally occuring sugar alcohol which means they are sweet but less calories per serving then a lot of other dried fruits.

A handful of prunes for a snack at night + black coffee in the morning = staying regular for me lol.
  • jwilson812
    jwilson812 Posts: 16
    Options
    I have a problem with my bowels, and I usually eat 5 or 6 prunes every morning. It helps.
  • GypsygalWI
    GypsygalWI Posts: 27
    Options
    Cabbage will also cause bloating, and not making the tummy very happy. (Raw-Organic) Sauerkraut is good for the bowels. TMI...for me...1/2 cup of coffee makes for a smooth day. :D
  • skhuu
    skhuu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I find that a small glass (6oz) of V8 everyday in the morning will make me regular. I don't like the taste, so I usually gulp it down quickly and follow with water. Look for the low sodium one! It takes a few days to get your body used to the "schedule" but it works for me!
  • Joleen106
    Joleen106 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had this problem myself. What worked for me was drinking 1-2 glasses of cold water right from my brita as soon as i wake up in the morning. Then once i have my breakfast and coffee everything moves along nicely :)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Casagrada sagrada is not a food but it's a pill taken daily or every other day. Works for me and is the only thing that has worked for me. I've tried all the other stuff mentioned here and nothing works to this level
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Coffee?
  • LittleMissFit83
    Options
    Restoralax was a miracle worker for me! :)
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I start my day with a big glass of room temp-to-warm water with the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Jump starts the digestive system! Coffee and tea are bowel stimulants as well, and yogurt also has a lot of natural bacteria that helps keep your gut healthy!

That said, as a nurse, we say you should go daily but some people just have different systems. As long as you're going in a routine that is regular for YOU and not experiencing any discomfort, you should be fine, three days is usually where the line gets drawn and we suggest outside methods. If you really feel like you need a good 'cleaning' then try Epsom salt. The salt draws the water into the bowel and the magnesium helps to stimulate the intestinal contractions to get things moving.
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If I really needed to get help in this area, I would drink a coffee with creamer. It seems to act as a laxative for me. I guess I am kind of weird, what may constipate others does the opposite for me, like beef and dairy or pizza hut.
  • thedove60
    thedove60 Posts: 4
    Options
    Research and try Goodbelly shots.Take the 14 day challenge and if you can get your money back if not satisfied. They come in a variety of flavors. Just one quick swallow a day of this probiotic may help and also provide many other benefits.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Every time I've ever tried going low carb I've blocked up. Just get your carbs from fresh fruit and not pasta and breads. Apples have a good amount of fiber