A success story in the making

Options
Someone bumped my success story today. I posted it back in February and sometimes it gets bumped randomly. I'm not sure why. If you're interested, it's here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1202245-sweat-tears-and-the-sea-three-years-of-mfp

The reason I'm posting though is to tell you that there's more to every story that's represented in the Success Stories board than what is contained in any given thread. My thread was about overcoming the symptoms of several chronic illnesses through diet and exercise. The day I posted it I felt like a super hero. I can't tell you all how much the responses meant to me.

tumblr_mqiaarlaHC1sp9fcho1_500_zps6226f73b.gif

But then about 6 weeks ago things started to go wrong. I was having a lot more back pain than normal. I couldn't sleep because of the pain. My doctors wanted to do minor surgery to deaden the nerves along my spine and in the process of preparing for that procedure it was discovered that I had a bulging disc issue that was likely contributing to the problem.

If you know me at all you know that lifting weights is my passion. Deadlifting is my favorite. This is what I was doing the morning before things went off the rails:

8ks6c_zpsdff50ae3.gif

Shortly after that video was taken, I leaned over to pick something up off the floor and when I went to stand up there was a crunch. Excruciating pain spread throughout my lower back and hips. I collapsed on the floor. I knew it was bad, although I didn't know the exact nature of the injury. I spent a week in bed. The spine doc told me I'd probably injured another disc, but more severely than the first. He said no more deadlifting or squatting. I thought my heart would break.

127.gif

I underwent surgery on May 8th. It was rough and I was in a lot of pain. The biggest problem though was that I couldn't exercise at all. I was back to being an invalid. And throughout that time, my success story kept getting bumped. Every time I saw it come back to the top of My Topics I felt a pang of disappointment and a little guilt. I felt like I couldn't call myself a success anymore.

But things got better. I started walking, slowly at first and then longer and faster. Then I was able to go back to upper body lifting. I started to feel more like myself. I'm awaiting an appointment with a physical therapist to figure out what types of lower body exercises are going to be safe for me.

This setback doesn't negate my success story. It's just another chapter, and when it's said and done I'll have another success story to tell. Maybe even a better one-- one about a lifter who came back from an injury even stronger and more determined than before.

Whatever setbacks you're facing today, just remember that you are a success story in the making. You may not be able to see the end yet, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

hPDZFOh_zps66bd4bff.gif

TL;DR: I got strong and overcame illness. Then I got sick again. But I will overcome this too, and so can you.

Replies

• tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Do you ever get tired of hearing how amazing you are? No? Okay, you're amazing. Truly.

Phil-Dunphy.gif

And thank you for sharing your story, and your continuing story. Stay strong.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Life keeps trying to knock you down and you keep kicking it in the balls and that is what I admire about you above all else. You don't give up or stay down, even when you have every right too, you just get up and figure out something else.

cute_kitten_loves_you_this_much.jpg
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You are an amazing person, and yours is a beautiful story.

:)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You rock so hard. :flowerforyou:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    You rock so hard. :flowerforyou:

You don't know how bad I want to rip off that towel everytime I see it.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Tough as nails and sweet as amber honey cakes - that's you, Acrylics. You are awesome and I'm glad to know you here.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational and amazing!

Thank you for sharing. :flowerforyou:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    5958302788_7941a310d6_z.jpg
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    :heart: :flowerforyou: Just awe-inspiring! Thank you for letting us into your life and showing everyone, that anything is possible.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Let_Me_Hug_You_zpseabf3ba6.gif
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Do you ever get tired of hearing how amazing you are? No? Okay, you're amazing. Truly.

Phil-Dunphy.gif

I could not agree any more.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    You should be very proud of yourself!! You are doing wonderful!! :-)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Could you please leave some awesomeness for the rest of us? :flowerforyou:
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I said this on your success story and I'll say it here too: you are beautiful inside and out and I'm so lucky to call you my friend! :heart:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

Phil-Dunphy.gif

I could not agree any more.

+1,000,000 :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this update, I hope it won't be the last as each time I read your posts I find myself in awe and inspired. So many people would use what you face as an excuse, I know I have had my share of excuses based on physical limitations. Well, no more. Thank you, thank you, thank you, and I agree with others, you are amazing. :flowerforyou:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Amber, well I sweat earlier today so a little salty sweat is good, and now I had a good cry, a little more salty goodness. You are incredible. Period.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Never surrender.

kapow1.png