Snack options.....

Options
Does anyone have any snack suggestions? I am a big chip person. I love them, I can sit down and eat 1/2 a can of pringles. Any suggestions on what I could snack on besides chips.

Replies

• 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Have the chips (just weigh them on a scale) and make it fit your target calorie goals.
  • byahbee
    byahbee Posts: 19
    Options
    you could try baked ones. or baked peas or chickpeas rolled in spices.
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Popcorn seems a great substitute for chips. Or crunchy vegetables like carrot sticks and celery. Rice cakes maybe.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I love grainy chips with hummus. I buy a big bag (currently working on Boulder Canyon Ancient Grains chips) and measure the whole bag out in portions and put the portions in separate baggies and if I have time to kill I also write the number of calories on the baggies as a reminder. I put all the baggies in an air tight container. They stay fresh forever and I can grab them quickly and know exactly how much I'm eating. It definitely helps prevent sticking your hand in the bag forever and suddenly half the bag is gone.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Argh, Pringles were my weakness... I would eat the full can in a sitting! I actually stay away from Pringles entirely now. They're my trigger food and one thing that I just can't portion out and eat a small amount of.

I snack a lot. I love lower-calorie chip options, there are plenty for only around 100-120 calories. The brands are going to depend on where you live though!

I also snack on:
    Salted crackers (I get individual snack packs so I don't eat too many)
    String cheese or cubes of cheddar
    Berries and fruit
    Little variety packs of cereal
    Rice cakes
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I make my own baked sweet potato chips YUMM!!!! I use olive oil spray, thinly slice the taters, sprinkle with sea salt pop in the oven and waallaa... My picky kid even devours them
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I also love chips. I wouldn't cut them out. Just get a food scale and weigh out 1 or 2 servings (whatever fits your goals) and put the can away until tomorrow. You have to realize you don't "need" that many chips. Find satisfaction in moderation.
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Kale is good!

200g Kale
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt

Bake on tray in oven 190c/375f for 15 mins

83 calories
    8g healthy fats
    1g carb
    3.5g protein
    3g fibre

Super yummy :bigsmile:
  • Libbster2014
    Libbster2014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try the 90 calories snacks, they come in a variety of flavors from cookies to chips. They help when you feel the need to snack. Also, if you're really into chips, buy the single serving combo packs, you won't be tempted to eat 1/2 a bag of normal size chips. I think Pringles has smaller "to go" cans as well. Don't keep knocking yourself up about it, we all have those moments when we over indulge, just forget it and get back on track. Tomorrow is always a new day, and a fresh start!!
  • DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love chips. You can only eat half a can in one sitting? Pshaw! Amateur! Haha ;)

Now sugar snap peas are my crack. :D:D I'm having 4 cups of them with my lunch right now, in fact! You can get bags of them in the produce cooler at Costco. I buy four bags at a time, but if I keep eating 4 cups a day, I might have to start getting more. My kids love them too!
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Costco has these big bags of organic chips that are really bomb I forget the brand but they are tortilla chips with like seeds. Just weigh them out! Also baked chips will be better than regular greesy lays type chips. Carrots and hummus, Pop chips, veggie straws/veggie chips, fruit, dried fruit, nuts..
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I've started using raw sugar snap peas instead of chips for dipping in hummus or salsa sometimes. Delicious, and they have a very satisfying crunch.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    They have fat free pringles which are lower cal and trust me...you won't overdo it because they tear up your stomach!

Here are some other ideas too:

Homemade kale/pita/tortilla chips (use corn tortilla)
    Homemade zuchinni chips http://vittlesandbits.blogspot.com/2012/03/baked-zucchini-chips.html
    Butternut squash chips http://www.acouplecooks.com/2012/02/baked-butternut-squash-chips/
    Pirate's Booty is apparrently a large serving size
    Popcorn (air-popped or 100-cal bag)
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Nature's Harvest crunchy dried okra with sea salt ...crispy & slightly salty goodness!
  • DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh yeah! Air popped popcorn! Maybe add butter spray, but season it with whatever you like. I loooove popcorn with garlic salt or garlic powder on it! Mmmmm.. If you have room for the calories in your day, sprinkle it with Parmesan cheese also!
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My favorite crunchy snack right now is apple chips. You can make them yourself, or get organic baked apple chips at Costco. Nom nom nom. I also love baked kale or spinach chips.