not at goal weight but need help with maintenance.

Options
hi,

i know i probably shouldn't do this but i've been weighing myself every morning. just an old habit. and i've noticed as i'm dieting and even being 200 cal over that i'm suppose to causes me to again ~0.5lb.

I know that's really little and is probably just a fluctuation but it's got me thinking about maintenance. if eating 200 cal+ causes me to gain half a pound then wouldn't my maintenance amount which is about ~1000 more than what i'm currently eating cause me to loose the progress that i've made. i wouldn't want to be doing all this hard work to be gaining 1-2 lbs overnight once i'm done.

i don't know, i'm not too knowledgeable in this area. please can someone educate me on this topic without giving me a hard time?

thank you x

Replies

• KimMc60
    KimMc60 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Assuming your TDEE is correct, you might gain a few pounds back as your body adjusts to maintaining, but you definitely won't lose all your progress. The .5lb gain you see the next day is just fluctuations, as you said.
  • sylviedroz
    sylviedroz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    thank you :D is there any specific way i should get into my maintenance or can i just start eating at the higher calorie amount?

thank you again x
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    If you are currently eating at 1000 calories below maintenance, I would slowly add in calories (perhaps add 100 extra per day until you get to maintenance). Note that you may gain a bit of weight at maintenance at first but it's normal and it will level out, so don't go back to reducing right away.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Okay so you "gained" 1/2lb...that is a normal fluctuation probably from water retention..I wouldn't worry about it...

Number 1 you shouldn't be in a 1k deficit for the amount you need to lose..that is 2lbs a week.
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Your current deficit should be max 500 calories a day...probably closer to 300 a day. Slow steady weight loss is more sustainable.

Number 2 When you do get closer to maintenance and you are following the above guidelines you slowly increase your calories week by week. I have been doing that for 5 weeks now. 100 calories for one week, 100 calories next week and stayed there for 2 week (appx 1800) last week I upped by another 50 calories and will stay here for the next week.

I will weight myself and see what has happened..I suspect I have lost weight as my TDEE is appx 2150...so I will up by 50 again to 1900 for the first week of june...and keep going until I stop losing and don't gain adjusting as necessary.