Success with New Rules (Women)???

Options
I'm planning on starting "New Rules of Lifting for Women" this week with a friend...
Just have a few questions...

Does it get easier to understand with time?
Has anyone had success without following the diet portion?

Replies

• jpore
    jpore Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am just a little over a week into the program. Even in such a short period of time I already feel a lot stronger and have been consistently upping my weights every work out. I am excited to continue!

Spend a good amount of time looking through each workout before you hit the gym, it makes it better. Don't just show up with the book and then try to figure out what you should be doing.

I think that if you are going to do any strength training it is important that you are getting the necessary protein into your diet, otherwise you are just wasting your time and not getting the best bang for your buck in the gym.

Feel free to add me!
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I did nrolfw and I really liked it. But if you are confused now, wait until you see stage 2, that's even worse.
    Might be worse checking youtube for form, or even better get a trainer to look over your moves.
    But once you're in it it's not so bad actually.

And no I did not follow the food bit, just stuck to mfp.
    And yes I did have success. Can't quite remember the number back than (started last april, finished some time last autumn) but I lost pretty nicely and totally transformed my body
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am about a month into the program and am really enjoying it. I am definitely making strength gains and have noticed changes in my body already (and others have too!).

Try this group if you have specific questions:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

And download the logs from this link; they are much easier to follow than how they're presented in the book.

http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump for info
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Anna_Joys_Journey Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, ladies! :)

I've put off starting until next Monday...I'm hoping I'll get a better grip on the fundamentals by then.

I had a trainer last year and learned a lot about proper form. :)

I'm glad to hear others had success without following the diet portion. I'm hoping to get by just sticking with what I've learned over the last almost-year. I'm looking forward to shedding fat and gaining strength! :)
  • lauren_jb
    lauren_jb Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started this yesterday, didn't feel too sore this morning but feeling it now.

Oh and I fell off the medicine ball doing the jackknifes. Too graceful for words!

Would love to see how you guys are finding it from time to time!
  • Elainaf
    Elainaf Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Lol, I hated the prone jacknives, I too fell off the first couple of times but at the end I could do them no problem and I actually enjoyed them.
  • rawrrawr66
    rawrrawr66 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't get easier, that's the point of increasing weight. I had phenomenal success with it. I lost 5 inches in the first month but then unfortunately I stopped doing it for a month. I started following the diet plan but then started cutting more.
  • ploppersdf1
    ploppersdf1 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i have been eating at a rough 500 calorie deficit for this program for the last two weeks. i've lost about 4 pounds in that time and have upped the weight quite a bit. i am almost done with my second week (doing 4 workouts a week) and i notice i am stronger, i look thinner now than i did at my lowest weight of 189 (i'm currently 194) and i just feel better. i have not been following the diet program much, i have been trying to eat healthier but we know how that goes. i really like this program
  • lauren_jb
    lauren_jb Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Definitely find I'm stronger. I really struggled doing the shoulder press with 5kg weights initially, didn't complete the second set. Now 5kg doesn't feel challenging enough. I tried to up to 6 and found it ridiculously hard. Found out afterwards I picked up 9s! Bit of a blonde moment...

I was only at a calorie deficit of 150 per day last week (due to a friends birthday and a blow out) but I've dropped 4lbs in 3 weeks without feeling hungry once. Tight dresses are slipping on easier too ????

Going to take photos when I'm done with stage 1 and compare.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!