"If every day were like today"...

Options
minusalatte
minusalatte Posts: 11 Member
I started on MFP about a month ago and I am curious to find out for those of you who have been on here longer if the MFP saying "If every day were like today you would weigh ________ lbs in 5 weeks" is actually true. I love seeing the smaller number MFP estimates, but so far I haven't seen much weight loss. Initially 5 pounds in about a week and a half, but now I am just down 3, but maintaining it. So, has that statement proved true for anyone?

Replies

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    It has been pretty accurate thus far. I find it motivational.
  • brahmergirl
    brahmergirl Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The first five pounds are typically pretty quick to come off and seem pretty easy, it's the weeks after that, that you might only see 1-2 pounds a week that make it hard. But believe me after about a month of maintaining and seeing it slowly come off, when you hit that ten pound mark and every monumental mark after that, it is worth it, its just that initial bump that is hard to get over. Last year, I did really good, lost 17 pounds, then went back to grad school and let myself go. I hate that I did that because now I am starting allllll over again and it is not fun! I remember one week I was stuck at 180 and could not for the life of me, get down to the 170s no matter what I did, the day I was ready to give up, I got on the scales and had lost 3 pounds! Motivated me even more, so don't give up, you are making progress every day!
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I love seeing that at the end of everyday, especially when I'm seeing numbers I've not been since a teenager.

When I think I've had a bad day and it says I'd weigh the same as I am now I think I've had a maintenance day, not a bad day and then I don't feel bad, I must admit I very very rarely have seen it say I'd be heavier in 5 weeks.
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    For me weight loss happens in fits and starts. I might lose for a while then plateau for a few weeks then start losing again fast, slow down, etc. It rarely happens that I drop a pound a week or whatever, it's not linear. But if you're patient it'll all even out in the end.
  • minusalatte
    Options
    The first five pounds are typically pretty quick to come off and seem pretty easy, it's the weeks after that, that you might only see 1-2 pounds a week that make it hard. But believe me after about a month of maintaining and seeing it slowly come off, when you hit that ten pound mark and every monumental mark after that, it is worth it, its just that initial bump that is hard to get over. Last year, I did really good, lost 17 pounds, then went back to grad school and let myself go. I hate that I did that because now I am starting allllll over again and it is not fun! I remember one week I was stuck at 180 and could not for the life of me, get down to the 170s no matter what I did, the day I was ready to give up, I got on the scales and had lost 3 pounds! Motivated me even more, so don't give up, you are making progress every day!

Thank you! I am hoping in the next month to be down at least 7!! It's very encouraging to see others having good success on here!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Sometimes weight loss happens in weird ways. When I first started I found that I would lose 2lbs one week, then none for a few and then 2-3 the next.... the loss was consistently inconsistent, lol, but still happening. Just not the way I thought it would.

I don't follow those numbers as matter of fact, but they're motivating when I'm doing well and help me get back on track when I'm not.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Sometimes weight loss happens in weird ways. When I first started I found that I would lose 2lbs one week, then none for a few and then 2-3 the next.... the loss was consistently inconsistent, lol, but still happening. Just not the way I thought it would.

I don't follow those numbers as matter of fact, but they're motivating when I'm doing well and help me get back on track when I'm not.

This^^^
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    OMG that comment is SOOOO not accurate with me. I think it depends on the person. Some people lose weight if their calories in are lower than their calories out. That is not the case for me. I have to be very mindful of carbs and sugar and I lose weight very slowly. I constantly have to change up my workouts so my weight loss does not stall. So it has taken me a really long time to get my weight off, much more than the 5 week increments suggested by MFP.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have been losing more then it says
  • daisy019
    daisy019 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How many calories do they have you on? I can't stay at 1200. It too hard.
  • rachaelgoslan
    Options
    Its been pretty spot on so far with me since I started logging my food properly a couple of months ago :)
  • minusalatte
    Options
    Calorie Goal 1,550 for me
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I can't say weather it's accurate or not since every day *isn't* like today but I do quite like it- the other day I had a bad day and was feeling crap about it and it made me realize that yeah, I'd gone over my calories but I was still in a deficit and even if I did that EVERY day, I'd still lose a couple pound in the next 5 weeks.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I always want to prove the: "If every day.." thing wrong lol - it has always been a habit of mine.
  • heliopolister
    heliopolister Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's been true for me.
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Well, five weeks ago (minus one day), I went over my calories goal by 318 calories, and it said I would weight 318.7 lbs in five weeks. Well here we are 5 weeks later and I weighed in at 320 lbs this morning.

I don't find it to be terribly accurate, but it is nice to see at the end of the day. :)
  • calliewattsdollar
    calliewattsdollar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I totally get that! I have to eat tons of lean protein as my primary calorie intake for anything to really happen. I work out regularly and pretty hard but that is only to maintain my weight...my key is low fat protein.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I can't say weather it's accurate or not since every day *isn't* like today

^^^ This ^^^

My days often vary so much, that the predictions will swing massively. If I'm a little under, it gives me a great prediction, that within 5 weeks, I'd be easily at goal.... and when I have a 'binge' type day, it tells me that I'm throwing huge progress out the window.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I actually have an Excel spreadsheet that I had set up last year and have been tracking my daily weight on it next to my other entries. When I select all the weights since I started my actual focused weight loss (pre-MFP) and drag down 5 weeks, it calculates out almost to the exact weight that MFP says I will weigh. Given this, I have to say that I would give it a 5/5 for accuracy.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I quit looking at it. If I go back five weeks, it says I should have lost 11 pounds more than I have.
    As long as I'm still losing, that's good enough.