How much Protein do I need to lose body fat?

Options
I'm 5 ft 8 18 years old and 147 lbs, i read that 70% grams of protein per 1 lbs would be enough protein to keep muscle while at a calories deficit (not build muscle) and I am doing weight resistance training, so how much grams of protein do you think I need to lose fat?

Replies

• Scottmufcrvp1
    Scottmufcrvp1 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    To lose fat? Eat a calorie deficit. The amount of protein wont matter in terms of fat loss.
  • Scottmufcrvp1
    Scottmufcrvp1 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    To lose fat? Eat a calorie deficit. The amount of protein wont matter in terms of fat loss.
    Yes it will because if I don't eat enough protein I'll lose muscle mass instead of body fat..
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    The general answer is 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. The bottom of this post will help you figure all that out and more:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

This is also a nice guide to read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-best-way-to-gain-muscle-not-fat/

I found this hotlink to be a great resource. Between that and this site: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

You can figure out your cut, bulk and maintain weights.

I workout on weights 3 days on 1 day off. I also do cardio 4 nights a week. So there are days when I do two workouts, or 1 weightlifting or 1 cardio or complete day off.

I establish my macros based on what my day brings in the way of exercise. It's a bit complex, but being an engineer by trade, it's kind of my nature to tinker. OBTW, just reached 8% BF for the first time in my life.

Good Luck...you are in the Sweet Spot and can both gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. No other time in your life will you be able to do both at the same time. Don't blow it.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft 8 18 years old and 147 lbs, i read that 70% grams of protein per 1 lbs would be enough protein to keep muscle while at a calories deficit (not build muscle) and I am doing weight resistance training, so how much grams of protein do you think I need to lose fat?

Why are you eating at a deficit? You're well within a normal range now. Why not focus on body re-composition instead. Eat at maintenance, eat 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass and lift heavy.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Why are you eating at a deficit? You're well within a normal range now. Why not focus on body re-composition instead. Eat at maintenance, eat 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass and lift heavy.

Recomposition is slower so I imagine OP is on a cut for quicker results.
  • Smokey705
    Smokey705 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes it will because if I don't eat enough protein I'll lose muscle mass instead of body fat..

And what genius or peer reviewed scientific study did you get this information from?
  • ForeverSunshine23
    Options
    They say to create a lean physique while losing weight eat about 1 gram of protein per pound of body fat, you should also be strength training using some kind of resistance, this could be your body weight, resistance bands or weights.
  • brower47
    Options

Recomposition is slower so I imagine OP is on a cut for quicker results.

Quicker results for what? He's already a normal body weight. If he gets much lower, he's just going to be skinny. If that's his goal, then more power to him. If he's looking for a fit physique, he either needs to bulk with lifting, then cut or go the recomp route.
  • Zorinn
    Zorinn Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Protein isn't for fat loss. It's for maintaining muscle mass, and helping repair muscles. To lose body fat, you need to cut carbs and only intake healthy fats, ie fish, olive oil, avocado, peanut butter(fresh ground, not the stuff from jars that's loaded with sugar and preservatives).

I can see why you'd assume you need X amount of protein. But you really just increase the protein to make up for the lack of carbs in your system.
  • brower47
    Options
    Protein isn't for fat loss. It's for maintaining muscle mass, and helping repair muscles. To lose body fat, you need to cut carbs and only intake healthy fats, ie fish, olive oil, avocado, peanut butter(fresh ground, not the stuff from jars that's loaded with sugar and preservatives).

I can see why you'd assume you need X amount of protein. But you really just increase the protein to make up for the lack of carbs in your system.

No. This is misinformation. To lose fat you need to eat at a deficit. Period. To maintain as much muscle as possible, you need to eat enough protein and utilize them through heavy weight bearing exercises in order to maintain as much as possible.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

No. if you don't strength train, you will lose muscle. You need to lift AND eat protein, or else you will still lose muscle mass.
  • traceylynns
    traceylynns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I was just searching this!!! wohoo going to check out the sites have to say!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

You are correct that Protien isn't for fat loss it's for repair...but to lose fat you don't need to cut carbs...you need to eat in a deficit and do some sort of resistence training.

INcreased protien helps keep you fuller longer and again helps repair muscles...most people don't get in enough protien.
  • labi10
    labi10 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

You are correct that Protien isn't for fat loss it's for repair...but to lose fat you don't need to cut carbs...you need to eat in a deficit and do some sort of resistence training.

INcreased protien helps keep you fuller longer and again helps repair muscles...most people don't get in enough protien.

You should have stopped after "eat in a deficit"

Absolutely NO training is required to lose fat. Zero. Why do you feel the need to lie to people? I don't get it. Yes working out is a wonderful idea but to say you NEED to to burn fat is just a flat out lie.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Absolutely NO training is required to lose fat. Zero. Why do you feel the need to lie to people? I don't get it. Yes working out is a wonderful idea but to say you NEED to to burn fat is just a flat out lie.

yup you are correct...to lose mostly fat and retain muscle you need to eat in a deficit and get in enough protien...guess I forgot a word...

As well please read the ToS attacks on individuals are prohibited in the forms
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

So please in the future if I happen to miss a word but the basics of what I am saying are true DO NOT accuse me of being a liar.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

yup you are correct...to lose mostly fat and retain muscle you need to eat in a deficit and get in enough protien...guess I forgot a word...

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

So please in the future if I happen to miss a word but the basics of what I am saying are true DO NOT accuse me of being a liar.

I did not call you a liar. I said you lied. Please read things twice before responding. If you lie (you did) and someone says you lied, that's not an attack, that's called telling the truth. So posting some TOS quote isn't going to scare me.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I did not call you a liar. I said you lied. Please read things twice before responding. If you lie (you did) and someone says you lied, that's not an attack, that's called telling the truth. So posting some TOS quote isn't going to scare me.

Regardless the basics of what I was saying is true in relation to the OP.

In case you missed it so in fact what I said to the OP was in fact true in relation to his question,

perhaps reading the OP before calling a post "a lie" which in fact means you called the poster a "liar"...as for scaring you..you are 19...nothing scares you atm...I have one of you at home albeit more respectful.