100 pounds down, more to go (pics)

Options
writemusic4him
writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
Hi! I'm Melanie. I started my weightloss journey several years ago...before I had a smart phone and new what MFP was :) When I decided to start my journey, I was miserable physically. I literally felt like I was being suffocated by my fat. I was so uncomfortable. I felt like my fat was squeezing me and I was finding it hard to even breathe. I also had two experiences where I traveled and could not do the fun things physically. A trip to Vegas, I barely made it walking the strip. I almost crawled back to the car. My sister patiently made multiple stops with me on our way back to the car. A trip to the Grand Canyon with my folks, had my back killing me and I was exhausted begging to go home instead of enjoying the beauty...and we were being bussed around the canyon...

When I decided to start this journey, I decided to take it slow and easy, as I wanted to develop good habits that would bring life-long change. This was the heaviest I had ever been in my life. Years early when I was much thinner, I had gone gun-ho for a short period of time. That was all it lasted...a very short time, less than a year. Here's a few pics of the skinnier me days.

b3a134fc-ee1a-4d3d-86bf-9e1ab2eb98c6_zpsb4c3fd6c.jpg

Then I gained the most weight I ever had in my life while I lost my job and my house. I kept it on and kept gaining through a bad job working for a woman who has to be the nastiest person to ever walk this earth. I lost any self-esteem I had and struggled with depression. I was for the first time in my life, obese.

And then came the challenge of taking it off. I started seriously in March 2012 with Curves and slowly eating a better diet. Small changes in baby steps. Gradually adding better eating and exercise habits over time. I wanted to be the turtle and not the hare. I had lots of experience of being the hare, which only brought short-term success. In Nov 2012 with my first smart phone I found MFP which added extra motivation I did not have. The friends I connected with on here, the boards and the groups, and the tracking of food and exercise. It was so exciting and motivating. I joined groups and also lead a lot of groups.

I am finally posting this story, because for about the last year I have been stuck in a holding pattern. I got off the weigthloss track and making sure to regularly exercise and eat right. I ended up completely bored of the exercise I had been doing, the foods I had been eating. I have made small bouts of getting on track and the weight does start coming back off when I do. Exercise is the key for me. But it is again only short-term. I have let job changes, health issues and not enough sleep and lack of motivation get in the way of my journey. Sticking with it and being motivated has been the hard part. While I am thankful for not gaining back any weight and maintaining all the weight I have lost so far, I want to finish this thing off. And I want a healthy lifestyle of eating right and regular exercise to be part of my everyday life.

So part of my trying to get back at this and stick with it, is that I'm finally celebrating how far I've come. I'm telling my story on here, and I'm having a party with friends I haven't seen in a while in a couple of weeks. It's time to get this show back on the road.

If I could tell you one thing I've learned from my journey - baby steps. One step at a time. Set yourself up for success not failure. Don't go cold turkey from soda and sweets. Wean yourself off of them. Oh, and one more thing... "No one said it will be easy. But it will be worth it."

bac425ed-148e-4a70-aebb-77e2b9e36a7c_zps548be7b7.jpg

51cc6aef-5d79-4336-92ea-6c52d53fbd14_zps23db98d5.jpg

Replies

• StacyRenee77
    StacyRenee77 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! Keep up the good work!!
  • Smokey705
    Smokey705 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Awesome keep going
  • capie123
    capie123 Posts: 34
    Options
    You should be so proud of yourself !
  • KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look great. Awesome inspiring story. I hear you about being suffocated, I feel the same way.

Good luck and congratulations!!!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Good job #
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look fantastic!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Great progress! You can do this! It's been hard but you still keep going!
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great loss.:happy:
  • weblur
    weblur Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • Rowood101
    Rowood101 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Great job and story. Thanks for sharing. You look amazing.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story, sounds like you have had your share of struggling but you are coming out stronger and doing your weight loss the right way. Congratulations!
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    yes, it is not easy!
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Well done on so many levels!I love your story. It's inspirational. Keep at it girl! :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!