What's Your Personal Experience w/ Starting Birth Control?

Options
2»

Replies

• mom2aeris
    mom2aeris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've never used anything but the Depo shot, so I don't have experience with anything else, but I do know that I only started gaining weight when I went *off* the shot due to cost. Now that I am back on it, I haven't had any problems with losing weight. I've been steadily dropping since I made my dietary changes.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    my birth control of choice doesn't interfere with my weight loss at all
    20131013-085851.jpg
  • GrasslandFairy
    Options
    I'm on the depo shot. It took a while to get used to it, at first it made me really irritable, but I'm fine now. Weight loss hasn't been a problem though, I'm down 22 lbs already. :)
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    my birth control of choice doesn't interfere with my weight loss at all
    20131013-085851.jpg

Ahahahaha :laugh:
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm on BC hormones for medical reasons. I used to be on yasmin for quite a few years (7 I think) & have been on NuvaRing for about 5. I was high & low with yasmin, but not having to do with the pill. Although I gained weight when I started the ring, it didn't have anything to do with the ring. I have lost the 17lbs this past year while on the ring too.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've been on birth control (loestrin/minastrin) for ~3 years. I didn't notice weight change in either direction when I started. I love it though (I had horrible erratic and heavy/painful periods my entire lift until I started the pill).
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I was on bc for 7 years. I never experienced weight issues; in fact, I lost about 10lbs while on it through diet changes and consistent exercise.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    depo shot for 3 months my side effects were

wanting to eat alot mainly
    sleep alot
    Mood swings like crazy
    periods that lasted forever it felt like
    until the shot wore off
    extra body pains
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I've been on Mirena for a couple of months now. I'm on it to treat my abnormally heavy and abnormally painful periods. (After my son was born I went from heavy periods to, clots larger than quarters heavy.) I'm loving it so far, this last period I'm going the whole day with ONE regular tampon. I haven't used anything other then super plus in four years and was sometimes changing them hourly! I no longer feel like a thorny vine is digging itself into my body and tightening its grip from mid-back to knees.

This is making a huge difference! I'm getting decent sleep (no pain, no getting up to change or strip the sheets off the bed). I'm able to work out because the anemia is gone! I'm still having food cravings, but not as bad. My breasts are still tender, but not aching.
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've been on birth control pills in the past (for many years, on and off), and now I use the Nuvaring. I've had 3 children, and was on birth control before them, in between them, and after I had them. I haven't noticed that it has affected my weight. I sometimes think I'm more bloated because of it, but that may be my imagination. So, in my case, weight neutral.

I considered trying the Mirena, but I would have had to pay out of pocket (we have a high deductible), and it was $1200. I was set to do it anyway, because my sister raves about it, but when I read that some people have weight gain issues with it, I got scared and backed out. I didn't want to pay the $1200 and then decide to have it removed. Honestly, if a medication or some kind of implant caused me to gain weight (which hasn't happened to me before), I know myself, and I'd freak out and want to stop using it....
  • ForeverSunshine23
    Options
    I've been on the Depo shot for 8 months and honestly I haven't had any trouble maintaining my weight or losing weight. Before that I was on the pill for a year and never had any weight issues then either. I think the weight gain depends on how active you are
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I considered trying the Mirena, but I would have had to pay out of pocket (we have a high deductible), and it was $1200. I was set to do it anyway, because my sister raves about it, but when I read that some people have weight gain issues with it, I got scared and backed out. I didn't want to pay the $1200 and then decide to have it removed. Honestly, if a medication or some kind of implant caused me to gain weight (which hasn't happened to me before), I know myself, and I'd freak out and want to stop using it....

Check and see if that is still true. Thanks to the changes in the Affordable Care Act, mine was 100% covered by the insurance company.