How to increase appetite for anorexia recovery

Options
Hello, folks! I'm 20, 5'8" and 110 lbs and in the process of gaining weight (AGAIN) after a relapse in my eating disorder. I'm mentally pretty good (and that's half the battle), but physically having difficulties. I have NO appetite whatsoever, and as much as I want to eat all manner of yumminess, I can't.
Example: For lunch, I eat a sandwich on whole grain bread, 3 oz of turkey, at about noon. And then I'm full for seven to eight hours, though I get a bit weak around five or six. This makes me think something's gone wonky with my digestion, even though my physical condition isn't bad, i.e. I'm thin but not ill.
I've heard vitamin deficiency can affect your stomach, and so I've just started taking multivitamins and D3's again. I've also been avoiding carbonated drinks. But is there anything else I could do, any herbal remedies? Should I try HCL supplements and the like if the multis don't improve my digestion?

Replies

• andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options
    Have you considered supplementing with a liquid meal replacement, like Ensure for example?
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your recovery efforts. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my appetite didn't come back for about six months after I started forcing myself to eat a set number of calories every four hours. At first it was 300 calories then 350 and so on until I was eating 1600/day out of habit. Some time after that, my appetite came back and I got up to 2000/day.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Maybe add nuts and stuff like peanut or almond butter, avocado to bread or a bagel to up calorie intake.
  • hlm711
    hlm711 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from relapse from Nov/Dec when I was under alot of stress and eating took a big back seat..
    Its true what they say-the more you eat, the more it comes back. When i really took eating for recovery not just maintaining my weak appetite i did suffer from bloating, intergestion ect BUT it did pass and my appetite got bigger, as did my energy.
    Although getting in calories in any way is important initially, I would suggest eating foods that are filling and 'big' like starchy carbs (teacakes, scones, bagels) so your stomach gets used to larger portions again..
    Good luck and well done! Like you said-half the battle is in the mind so stay strong!
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    For most people, sugar (be it natural or artificial) can help in the aid of eating more. Since you need to focus on nutrients of course, lots of fruits can help. Someone mentioned fruit smoothies which is a great suggestion. The fiber in fruit will also help with your digestive system, as with the water content in whole fruits.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods? Cheese, peanut butter, vegetable oil, milk, full fat dressings, carnation instant breakfast mixed with whole milk?
  • pokeythepiercer
    Options
    Yummy frosty protein shakes make with healthy fruits and some peanut butter...

I love: Vanilla powder (for you two scoops ) + whole milk + vanilla bean ice cream + Half a graham cracker +half a cup of blue berries + half a banana= A shake that tastes like a heavenly blueberry muffin and is really good for you and calorie dense:) Use big straws and get yourself cute cups to drink them out of. Make it as appealing as possible. I would also have people over when I was recovering specifically to eat and be social. If other people ate I could.
  • spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound like the hippie *kitten* who says the obvious Coloradian suggestion, but have you considered smoking marijuana? Many doctors will promote it for aiding in recovery. (For what it's worth, I don't smoke, but found it helped me during my recovery. Congrats on your decision to a healthy and happy life. :)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Yup, weed might help.
  • alligator2012
    Options
    I"m 19, 5'9 and 145 pounds. I eat between 750 and 1200 calories a day. I have a high activity job that requires a lot of energy, but I feel completely drained at the end of the day. Any suggestions for increasing calorie intake? I have a hard time eating full portions of meals and feel nauseous when I eat a full plate of food.
  • maxined93
    maxined93 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks, folks! Alas, I'm a Georgia kid, so weed's not a legal medical option and might have some unforeseen side effects besides.
    And to Alligator, I'd really recommend protein shakes for lunch or dinner. They provide the nutrients you need and fill you up pretty well, but are easier for the stomach to digest than solid food.