This is gonna be hard

Options
So I did good with the food today. Just had dinner. Stayed under my calories FINALLY. But it is only 5:36 pm & now I'm craving snacks, sweets, and junk just like everyday. I even got these mega t chews that r supposed to fight hunger but nooooooo, not for me. How can I fight this? Why does my body do this?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? How are you on protein and fat intake - meeting those goals?
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat enough, I won't be as apt to go for the junk after and/or in between meals.
    You can still eat enough to be well satisfied and stay within your calorie goal for the day.
  • TheWeightOfFood
    TheWeightOfFood Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to get used to a new routine. They say if you can make it just 21 days (I'd say 30 for women to help with that "craving" time of month) then you can take back control of your eating. That month can be the longest of your life, but it's also a goal to strive toward that will be over in no time.

I eat a smoothie (spinach, blueberries, almond milk or water) in the mornings to bulk up my food. It's about 120 calories, really nutritious, and keeps off the cravings. Experiment with finding something like that for yourself? Best of luck on your journey!
  • jessicamzavala
    jessicamzavala Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try and stick to a high protein diet. Protein will keep you full longer. Also eat small meals or snacks throughout the day. Eating small meals more frequently about every 3-4 hours will also help with your metabolism and keep you from being hungry. I normally have a 300 calorie breakfast, 100 calorie snack, 300 calorie lunch, 100 calorie snack and 400 calorie dinner and if I'm hungry after dinner, I usually have another 100 calorie snack.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my salt intake low during the day so that if I feel peckish at the end of the day I can snack on some dill pickles and a bit of sharp cheddar. It doesn't take much of the strong flavors to leave me feeling like I've really enjoyed something. Takes those cravings away.
  • AnthonyThrashD
    AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Today, I had donut holes for breakfast, Wendys jr cheeseburger deluxe w/medium fries for lunch, I snacked on a Chunky bar, and later went to DQ and got a medium hot fudge sundae.

Amazingly, now I'm craving healthy foods! I'm hitting my cravings with reverse psychology!
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? How are you on protein and fat intake - meeting those goals?

This!
  • KeishaGettinFit
    Options
    1200 and usually
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    1200 and usually

Have you figured out your TDEE? I could never survive on only 1200 per day. I usually eat over 2000 daily and am losing at a rate of .5-1 pounds per week. Maybe your daily calories are a bit low?
  • ElliTree
    ElliTree Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Maybe try foods that will keep you full. Like foods with a lot of fiber. Also, I find eating much slower and drinking a glass of water before a meal really helps me not get hungry. Honestly, if I am really hungry, I will have a snack and log it. If I stay hungry all the time, I'm much more likely to quit.

Also, not sure if you drink coffee or not, by caffeine is a natural appetite suppressant, and black coffee has like 5 cal a cup. Not that I am saying to drink more than one or two cups a day.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to eat more.
  • Clarifications
    Options
    S'mores pop tarts covered in peanut butter.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Not going to go into any discussion on calories you should be at etc.

But, for the initial question, when I have hit my goal and its still early, I brush, floss, and rinse. Something about putting all that dental effort helps me to not want to mess it up lol.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    dont fight it.

fit it.
  • JamieJam1102
    JamieJam1102 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    dont fight it.

fit it.

Exactly. Trying to restrict yourself will never work for you long term. If you want to eat something, make room for it, or do an extra work out or something like that.
  • NewLifestyle095
    NewLifestyle095 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I get late night hunger I usually chew some gum and drink water.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    That's what she said!
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    thats-what-she-said.gif
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    So I did good with the food today. Just had dinner. Stayed under my calories FINALLY. But it is only 5:36 pm & now I'm craving snacks, sweets, and junk just like everyday. I even got these mega t chews that r supposed to fight hunger but nooooooo, not for me. How can I fight this? Why does my body do this?

Everyone else gave good suggestions, including noting that 1200 cals is probably too low, but I wanted to add one more possibility if you up your intake and still run into this.

Is it your body doing it, or your mind? The easiest way to get me to crave something sweet is to look at my diary for the day and realize I don't have enough calories left for it. Totally a mental thing. If I fit it in (like skullshank said) ahead of time, then it magically doesn't happen.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    1200 and usually

Found the problem!

Really, 1200 calories is probably not appropriate for you unless you're a petite woman, older, etc. You should probably research what your TDEE is and eat more, as suggested by another poster above. You'll be much happier and your intake will much more sustainable. Plus you'll lose weight still.