Going to a PotLuck Party..Need Appetizers! HELP

Options
Hey guys, I am just getting back into the swing of things and am scheduled to attend a party this Saturday and each lady brings their dish to share with others. I really don't want to mess up. Does anyone have any ideas they can share for low calorie and/or low fat appetizers that are tasty and do well at parties?

Replies

• Spacky
    Spacky Posts: 1
    Options
    I recently went to a pot luck and brought with me a small fruit platter and a small vegetable platter. No dip for the fruit platter and a low fat dip for the veggies. No one complained and it all disappeared.
  • brechingirl
    brechingirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with a nice vegetable tray with a low fat dip. You can use celery, broccoli, carrots, cherry tomatoes. peppers, cauliflower ect. These always get eaten!!!
  • lgochya
    lgochya Posts: 39
    Options
    My favorite new snack!!! Steamed asparagus, dijon mustard and a little bit of oliveoil mayo, just sort of to taste! I brought it to work on Tuesday and they ate it up before anything else!! I like it it with just the dijon! good luck!!
  • katieandlilly
    katieandlilly Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This egg roll recipe is awesome and less than 100 calories an egg roll! I made it last night and it was AWESOME!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/139988-baked-vegetable-egg-rolls-w-pics-73-calories-each
  • lastraw
    lastraw Posts: 32
    Options
    Homemade hummus with veggies and cut up pita pockets or naan for dippers.
  • mrogus
    mrogus Posts: 94
    Options
    HUmmus and veggies or pita bread goes over well. I am making a caprese appetizer this weekend. We'll see how it goes!
  • bjwb1976
    Options
    Low carb/ calorie ROLL UP's:
    You buy those mission tortilla LOW carb tortillas.
    Mix salsa with LOW cal CREAM CHEESE, spread this onto the tortilla, add low fat lunchon TURKEY.
    ROLL them up and cut them into slices.
    These are tastey and low fat, low carb, and low calorie! The are actually a croud pleaser too!
    You can add veggies to this too like fresh spinach, romaine lettuce ect...

Another one I like is baked lays with a low cal ranch dip or hummus.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Stuffed mushroom caps (mix the stems of the mushrooms with herbs and spices plus some sort of protein and sautee, then fill).
    Phyllo pastry is quite low in calories, comparatively: you could do a vegetable-stuffed phyllo, like a rolled asparagus.
    Buy some fancy toothpicks and do fancy mini kababs with a cherry tomato, a piece of cheese or spiced tofu, a piece of pickle, whatever.
    Hummus or cream cheese spread on sliced cucumber with a topping like red pepper (chopped extra small), or a teeny piece of meat (if you eat it).
  • Tomlette
    Options
    I recently bought the "Cook This! Not That!" cookbook and they have some GREAT low-cal appetizers in there. I had the Terriyaki Sea Scallops tonight, and substituted real bacon with turkey bacon. It was really, REALLY good. It's got some other great low-cal recipes too.
  • anovasjo
    Options
    or do little rice paper rolls with a piece of red pepper, mango, cilantro, cucumber and carrots. Serve it up with a chili sauce or plum sauce or something.
  • anovasjo
    Options
    Or do a home made bruschetta: diced cherry tomatoes, fresh torn basil, minced garlic and onion, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Serve on some baguette rounds or some kind of cracker you like.

Sorry for the multiple posts... I get excited about food ideas... :love:
  • bjwb1976
    Options
    OHH THAT SOUNDS AMAZING!! I will have to try that one.
  • LoserCruiser
    Options
    Fruit kabobs go over really well! You can use any fruit, bananas, melons, strawberries, blueberries, apple, oranges, pineapple etc. Stick them into a piece of watermelon, cantelope or pineapple as shown!
    fruit_kabobs_irf.jpg
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    My favorite is bruschetta! It's easy to make, tastes great, can be eaten on oven toasted baguette slices or "scooped" with celery sticks...it's yummy. This is my recipe:

6-8 ripe tomatoes, (stick in boiling water for 10 seconds, pull out, let cool a bit, peel off the skin!)
    1 bunch of cilantro, chopped fine
    1 medium red tomato, chopped small but not minced
    1/4 c olive oil
    1/2 c balsamic vinegar
    salt and pepper to taste
    1-2 French Bread Baguettes, sliced

Directions: Cut each tomato in half and remove the seeds. Chop the tomatoes on a plate or cutting board so you can catch all the juices. Combine tomatoes, tomato juices, onion, cilantro, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar in a bowl. Mix. Add salt and pepper to your taste.

Serve with french baguette slices that you make yourself. Arrange your oven rack to fit just under the broiler and turn oven on to broil. While it heats up, take one baguette (day old is fine and cheaper!) and slice it starting at one end and slicing every quarter inch. Arrange in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Lightly spray slices with olive oil spray (you can get this at store in the area where they sell PAM and such products). Turn over, spray other side. Broil in oven until slices are dark toasty brown. This happens fast so watch the oven like a hawk! When one side is done, turn slices over, do other side. Remove and cool. Serve on a serving platter with the bruschetta in a bowl in the middle of the platter with the slices of toasted baguette arranged all around.

Yummy, low fat and low calorie! The calorie count depends on how much you make and how many servings you plan on getting out of the recipe. I'll leave that to you and the MFP calculator! :)
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Fruit kabobs go over really well! You can use any fruit, bananas, melons, strawberries, blueberries, apple, oranges, pineapple etc. Stick them into a piece of watermelon, cantelope or pineapple as shown!
    fruit_kabobs_irf.jpg

gorgeous! look yummy too!
  • nevergonnagiveup
    Options
    One of the nicest appetisers I have had recently (and I know it may seem strange :) ) was cucumbers cut into circles and topped (prettily!) with either pesto or roast capsicum relish/pesto or mushroom pate (low fat). They were delicious!!!! And I was told they are so quick to make! And the platter looked gorgeous, too!