Couch to 5k

Options
I started the C25k program this week using the app on my iphone. Now, granted, I'm a good 150 lbs overweight, and running is definitely NOT my forte. But I have a goal of running a real 5k in September of this year. so I have 9 months to get it right.

My question to the world is this: Has anyone overweight like me used this program and been successful in losing weight and running well? I don't necessarily like running, but I WANT to! Any feedback on anyone that's used this program would be wonderful!

My first 2 days on the program were rough, but good. Here's to hoping it gets easier!

Replies

• mrogus
    mrogus Posts: 94
    Options
    One of the girls I work with did it and she stuck to it and ran a 5K a few months ago. She said it was painful and hard at first but it gets easier.

I tried the ipod app and did the first week of it and then the weather turned and since I don't have a treadmill or belong to a gym, I stopped. I hope to start up again in the spring though! I would love to run a 5K this year even though I am not a big fan of running!!
  • kingkimi1213
    kingkimi1213 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi there!!!!!!

I first started doing the C25k in Sept. and I could barely run I was sweating it out doing the 60 seconds of jogging but by Halloween I could run 5 - 8 mins (prob the 2 miles week 5) with no problems... I absolutly loved it and I now enjoy running because I know I can do it... If you have to do baby steps like this program, DO IT! Its great and the only reason why I quit doing the c25k is because I had a chemical pregnancy that through my body so out of whack!!!!

I actually just restarted it today, from day 1 week 1, honestly it feels fantastic!

I can do it, you can do it!!! =D
  • YayMe17
    YayMe17 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people chatting about the C25k. Can you tell me a little about it. Sounds interesting. Thanks & good luck.
  • aleashago85
    aleashago85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    According to my BMI, I am 70lbs over my ideal weight. I love the program I have it for my Android and it is great, anyone should be able to do it. Now that it is winter and I hate treadmills I havent run in about 3 weeks so I will have to start over in spring....but atleast I know that it is something that I can challeng myself with and love at the same time. I am beat at the end of it but i used to do a 17 min mile and now I do a 12 min mile.. I ran a 5K this last november and it is very self satisfying. Good Luck and good running!
  • mustangali
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people chatting about the C25k. Can you tell me a little about it. Sounds interesting. Thanks & good luck.

It's a program that is supposed to get you able to run a 5k in 9 weeks. It's designed for people that aren't avid runners (like me!) It alternates a series of running/jogging and walking, and with each week it has you running more and walking less.

The nice thing about the app is you can create your own play list!
  • mustangali
    Options
    Thanks! That is awesome you're down to a 12 minute mile! I can't even imagine that at this point. Tonight I did 1.5 miles in a half hour. Ugh. But I'm hoping it won't take long to get the full 5k in a half hour!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Its a beginners running schedule to get someone who has no running experience up off the couch and onto their feet! Its awesome! http://www.c25k.com/

My little experience with C25K. I didn't do it however a couple of weeks ago, I was talking with a woman at the gym. She was telling me that she had recently lost around 30 pounds in 10 weeks! She told me she still had around 60 to go but she loved running and that was getting her through it! I told her I loved running to and that I hoped to run a 5K soon! She was like "Oh! I totally just ran one last week and have one this weekend too!"

:noway:

I was massively impressed! I didn't step foot on a treadmill to run until this past November when I finished loosing weight and here this woman was using C25K to loose weight, accomplish goals and run 5Ks! And I haven't even run one yet except on my treadmill! LOL! So yes, she was using it as a weight loss tool, looked great, was feeling amazing and along with changing her eating habits was seeing a massive change!
  • momofone
    Options
    I'm glad to hear some success stories with the C25k program. I just bought brand new running shoes last night.

I am getting ready to start this. I've never run before, never was good at it, but I have always wanted to. Running a 2k and 5k are actually on my Life's 100s list. :smile:

I actually had the same question but figured I'd give it a try anyway

I'd love to hear about everyone's progress. Maybe we can keep this thread going and support each other. From what I heard, in the beginning lots of encouragement helps and it can be pretty tough for new runners.

Best of luck to everyone!!!

Peace & Joy,
    Kim
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I was 215lbs when I started C25K last October.

I've already run a 5k event on New Years Day (42mins) and I lost 20 lbs while learning to run with C25K. I'm going to run a 10K this fall and hoping to run a marathon at some point. Every lb I lose makes me run a little faster. Be good to your knee's. The importance of recovery days between runs for the sake of my knees was a hard lesson to learn.
  • RunningBoo
    Options
    My sister and I have that app and the b210k. I am not a runner at all and am 100 pounds at least over weight. I am struggling a little bit but she is doing great. She's a bit thinner than I am. We are hoping to do a 25k next December of couse split between 4 people so each will do about a 5 k. So far the apps are helping us know how to start. I wish everyone the best of luck, together we can all do it!
  • bitsinator
    bitsinator Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My husband started C25K at about 70-80lbs overweight and he dropped 20lbs like nobody's business. Inspired, I started after he ran his 1st 5k. (BTW, he is now doing the bridge to 10k.) I am 60lbs overweight and have had a much more difficult time with it since my form & pace are terrible and my heart races. Nevertheless, I completed the program, and every week took me to a milestone I never in my life thought I could accomplish. (I actually started sobbing the first time I tried the 20-minute run and realized I was going to complete it without stopping - I couldn't even have done that in high school!)

When I completed the 9 weeks, I had lost 10 lbs and could run the 30 minutes but I hadn't made the 5k distance yet ... then the holidays hit and I fell off the wagon. Now I am going to restart the C25K program (and get back to eating better) to keep improving my pace so I can complete the 5k within the 30 minutes.

Long story short, it really is an amazing program that ANYONE can do -- it eases you in slowly, and builds your stamina gradually so that you can be successful no matter how overweight or out of shape you are when you start. And by the end of each day and each week you complete, you've really accomplished something that's incredibly rewarding to your mind, body and soul. It actually made me *enjoy* running -- and I never would have believed I'd be capable it. Get out there and rock it, you'll be glad you did!

There is a great C25K group on Facebook that's worth joining (http://www.facebook.com/#!/C25Kplan) -- it posts good articles about how to improve your form, stay motivated, etc. Good luck to you!
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I just started doing c5k last week and I am at least 100lbs over weight. I have never been a runner, but I hope to change that. I have my daughter as an inspiration, as she is a true athlete and I want to run with her.
  • catjon0150
    Options
    I would love to do a 5 k
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    I'm glad I stumbled upon this post. I started C25K Monday. It wasn't that bad the first day, but after the second day I was ready to quit. Reading this gives me hope and encouragement! I WILL complete week one today and continue on, no matter how hard it is.
    Thanks for the encouragement!
  • ScottieW
    Options
    I started C25K I ran on Monday and Wednesday and skipped Friday. I am going to do Day 3 Week 1 today and run Day 1 Week 2 on Tue. Then rest Wed and run on Thurs and Friday. I cant let play get in the way of my running because I have a goal to run a 5K with Mustangali in Sept. Anyone have any ideas how to make running a priority over play? Im new at running pretty much too.
  • sacfrazier
    Options
    I completed the C25K program last November and got myself to the point where I could run (more like jog) 4 miles without stopping. For some reason, I stopped doing the program, but I just restarted it again this week. It feels good to be back into the swing of things. I only have good things to say about the program. My advise is to take it week by week and don't skip ahead. If you trust in the program, you will be able to do it. If you have a rough time with one of the days, repeat it until you are comfortable with it. If I can do it, anyone can!! Good luck.
  • momofone
    Options
    Ok W1D1 complete...yeah me!!!! I did it and it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.

Best of luck to all others who are starting the program. WE CAN DO IT!!!!
  • mandyshell
    Options
    I am on Week 5 right now and I weight 270. So it can be done :) It was a little rough at first, honestely thought I was gonna DIE! But if you stick with it and always make sure to stretch, you can do it. Just stretch before and after and you got this!! :)
  • lucy0924
    Options
    i just looked at the website and the workout plan looked pretty intimidating...i am at 235 and running a min straight and I am beyond out of breath. My question is...if i do the treadmill version what speed do I use? Right now it takes me 30min to do just 1 mile...how will that change to 30min to do 3mile! YIKES! that's 10min a mile :/

thoughts anyone...
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    i just looked at the website and the workout plan looked pretty intimidating...i am at 235 and running a min straight and I am beyond out of breath. My question is...if i do the treadmill version what speed do I use? Right now it takes me 30min to do just 1 mile...how will that change to 30min to do 3mile! YIKES! that's 10min a mile :/

thoughts anyone...

Starting c5k is not about speed, it's about getting your body accustomed to running/jogging. Once you have completed the program, you can start to work on speed. As for the treadmill speed, I think everyone is different. I am short and have short stubby legs, so my speed would be lower than someone 6 feet tall. Try out different speeds to find what works for you.