Newly diagnosed diabetic trying to get my life back

Options
Hello, I have been an emotional eater since my mom went back to work when I was 12 (33 now) I used to binge in college and became morbidly obese. However, the last 60 pounds or so I would chalk up to two things. Fast food, and not listening to my body if I was hungry or not. I ate 3 times a day no matter what and usually snacked into the night. I had some mild success in the last low carbing but my discipline or my pocket book couldn't take it any more. I have learned that I am an impulsive eater. So therefore my meals have to be planned at the beginning of the day and when I went through overeaters anonymous we called this sobriety.
So long story short I reached my highest weight 325 on May 13th (at the dr's office so it might be 2-3 pounds lower but I'm going by that and I'm 5'6) I was put in the hospital in august, September, and April this year with a cellulitis infection of the hip/stomach. This last time I was told I had a fasting sugar of 200 (my primary dr ran fasting tests on me only a few months ago and it was 103.) I was in a bit of denial but after I started testing myself I saw I couldn't hide from the numbers. A friend recommended this site and we have been supporting each other. I am already at 310 and am so excited to see the numbers go down.

Replies

• TorshaDattaChoudhuri
    Options
    You have got this. The scale will come down as will the diabetes condition. All the best. Stay accountable
  • GlucernaBrand
    GlucernaBrand Posts: 486
    Options
    I love your positive, I-can-do-this attitude! You really can turn things around, and learn to take care of your emotions without food. You're making the first steps, and I'm glad it's feeling so good. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Go you!!!! I can relate with the emotional eating, I ate myself into a cave last summer. But actually getting the diagnoses of Diabetes helped wake me up and now I am working on me, you got this, girl!
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with diabetes last September after a car accident. I don't want to be on meds or having to watch my sugar for the rest of my life. New research shows that especially during the first four years after diagnosis diabetes can be reversed, so that's where I am now, working on reversing the diabetes. I think I'll be successful with this, and I think you can be too.