Only fruit and veggies?

Options
I want to eat only fruit and veggies for a month or so. Maybe those 100 calorie almond packs too, like one a day. Basically a vegan diet. But I was just wondering if I could get a head start on weight loss that way? I know it's not very healthy and I did lose a good amount of weight before by eating whole grains and meat too but it took a little longer. I'll pick that back up later but could I lose weight by just eating fruits veggies and nuts (not a lot)?

And please don't recommend healthier says to lose weight because I already know it's not too healthy. But nuts contain protein and fruit contains some too so it shouldn't be too bad right?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    As according to your previous posts you weigh 130 pounds and are 5'4" with a BMI of 22 not sure what you want a head start on. I'm a vegan and I'm afraid it's not just s simple as eating fruit and veg. You have to make sure you get enough variety in your diet to ensure good nutrition. If you want to eat a Vegan diet fine but do it properly and do some real research as it's no miracle way to lose weight (I was a morbidly obese Vegan). My guess though is you want a 'Look' as you are already at a good weight why not look at appropriate exercise to get that look and eat normal food to help that exercise. Just a thought.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Well fruits have a lot of sugar and carbs so it's possible to gain fat and you will almost definitely lose muscle due to one low protein source as you main source of protein. Sounds like a plan to get flabby imo.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    A 100 calorie pack of almonds along with whatever protein is in the fruits and veggies is not going to be enough. If you do this, you're likely to encounter some unpleasant digestive issues and possibly problems with your teeth.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's a terrible idea, your body will struggle to all it's nutritional needs from such a restrictive intake.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Why? Just eat normal portions of healthy food (whatever that is to you). Crash diets don't work, choose something that works in the long run and you can keep doing to maintain your weight after you lose.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    And please don't recommend healthier says to lose weight because I already know it's not too healthy. But nuts contain protein and fruit contains some too so it shouldn't be too bad right?

Please speak to someone about your relationship with food and body image, that's the problem here.
  • mncdk
    mncdk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Fruit and veggies only? That diet is going to be dangerously deficient in both protein and fat.

As fatdoob said, you need to seriously research this if you have any plan of pursuing it.

I can't even put into words how much I'd like to suggest that you don't proceed with this.
    Losing a few pounds is not worth feeling like **** for a month. You should research general nutrition instead, and learn how to adjust your normal diet to lose weight. Not go on fancy diets that never work in the long run.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i hae a gf that did that and she looks awful. sunken in face, no muscle tone at all for depleting her body of the proper protein and other nourishment she didnt feed her body with.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    :noway: Why would you intentionally embark on an eating plan that will result in you looking and feeling like rubbish? Your proposed diet is seriously lacking in dietary fat and protein. Not to mention that many of the vitamins that are in the fruits and veggies are fat-soluble and will not be properly absorbed with so little fat, making you even more nutrient deficient.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    terrible idea, you will be severely deficient in protein and fat, i.e. the two ESSENTIAL macronutrients, you will literally lose any muscle you do have and screw up your hormones, best of luck in your skinnyfat goals of 2014, if you are going to crash diet like that then at least get some protein and fish oil in you
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • oddzki
    oddzki Posts: 10
    Options
    Nuts are NUT (read: not) a great source of protein. If you eat 100 kcal of nuts it does not even equal to 5g of protein. You should never go on an extreme diet without proper knowledge about nutrition. Judging by your statements, you clearly do not have any knowledge about nutrition.

You might be thinking "But I've read models that only eat fruit and veggies, and they look super nice"
    First of all, most models or athletes that partake in these extreme diets do it before a photoshoot or a show, normally to deplete all salt and glykogen reserves resulting in extremely little water retention. This is of course very dangerous and should only be done with proper nutrition supplements such as vitamins, minerals and amino acids. This method works very short term, and will actually kill you in the end by malnutrition and starvation. After the photoshoot or the show, the model goes back on its normal diet.

I think it's absolutely fine that you want to get thinner and more fit than you already are, despite how thin you already are. Start by reading up on macronutrients and how they work for your body, then figure out what you need to eat each day to loose weight at a steady pace while not compromising muscle composition and/or causing malnutrition. Start by throwing your fruit diet plan down the trash, it doesn't work.
  • To each his own as my Mother has always taught me :)
    I can tell you that I personally have decided that if I feel like I've overdone my eating in any way or just don't want a huge meal I'll be happy getting in the habit of replacing it with a delicious homemade smoothie, there's no limit to the different ones I can come up with and that's a wonderful thing.

Best of luck! :happy:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    For the same deficit more muscle will be lost so you lose weight quicker with just fruit and veg.........a really nice noodle look results, very fashionable in ED land.:bigsmile: