45yo woman wanting to gain muscle

Options
I used to be well defined and had great tone. I went the gym at least 3x a week, then I had a baby when I was 40, and as baby's daddy didn't help me with parenting, I couldn't find time or motivation to exercise.
Up to 4 months ago, I was doing a Pilates class a week, which was great for my core.
Ok, I have SI inflammation, and I think it is due to lack of muscle tone due to age and lack of exercise.

I am doing a simple stretching routine at home, and just added superman raises to my routine to try and get some lumbar spine support going to see if it will help my SI joint agony.

Any other tips for a gentle re introduction exercises you could suggest for me? I hate feeling old and I am not going to go down without a fight!

I am taking a protein shake for breakfast and taking 1000mg L arginine twice a day. I also have low thyroid and take 125mcg thyroxine for this.

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Don't feel old! It's optional!

I recommend a weight lifting and bulking routine.(unless you need to lose some fat first, then cut until you're under 20% body fat) Go to women who bulk group. That's a good start!

Yes it's hard, but I'm a single parent with no family help, run a business and I can do it!

I feel better at 43 than I did at 23. Weigh the same, but am a different composition.

Good luck!
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and started at the gym last year. My progress has been slow, but I have seen weight loss, and strength gains, and muscle gains. Watch out world because by the time I hit 50 I am going to be awesome! Age is just a number :-)
  • WannabeSC
    WannabeSC Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    47 and have been gaining muscle for the past year after being injured doing triathlons. I'm stronger and fitter after being in the weight room for the past year, I am seeing muscle definition I haven't had in decades, all the mirrors help keep me motivated about my diet.....it can be done :-).
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Its totally possible. You might want to try out the "Eat,train, progress" board.

Sarauk2sf is an awesome person and is co-mod there. She is in amazing shape and started lifting later in life.

I personally think protein shakes should be used as a last resort if you can't get in enough protein. I always preferred actual food that is high in protein as it often said that the body doesn't absorb the shakes nearly as much as people think.

I deal with a joint disease that lifting heavy has made a big difference in my life. I would advice is using stronglift 5x5 or something of the like and see how your body reacts.

How much of a surplus are you eating right now?
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am 49 and feel much better than with 39. I train 6 days per week (weights, elliptical, inline skating, biking) plus I walk EVERY day between 5 and 7 km briskly with my dogs. That combined with a healthy diet and enough sleep gives me tons of strength and I am feeling superb.
    If you can not make it or don't want to go to the gym (I am spoiled, I have my own) than there are tons of resources out there (youtube, Internet) that show you body weight exercises.

Lauren Mark's book "You are your own gym: The bible of body weight exercises" is also a good start.

If you get your butt up and going it will work!
    Stef.