Calorie Counting and Working Out

Options
Hi,

I've noticed that the more I workout, the hungrier I become. I'm trying to eat about 1,600 calories/day in order to lose weight. So, If I eat 1,600/day and I burn 500 calories during exercise, then should I eat 500 calories more in order to have a net calorie intake of 1,600/day?

If the answer is no, then should I just focus on eating a maximum of 1,600/day regardless of how many calories I burn working out on that day?

Please advise.

Thank You

Replies

• running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Depends on your approach.

I either set it a little higher, and don't count in my workout calories.
    Or I lower the maximum, and do eat back the calories burned during exercise.

It's really up to you and whether you work out regularly or not!
  • jetgirl1313
    jetgirl1313 Posts: 23
    Options
    From listening to my friends, some eat them back, because otherwise your calorie deficit is too much. But some people prefer not to eat them back. I always worry that my body will think its starving and not let the weight go if I make my deficit too big. Maybe try eating back some of them and see how you feel. if you are still hungry, your body wants more food. I'd try to go with your body and eat if its hungry. (I tend to eat when I'm bored, so I can't always rely on my body... haha) Good luck. Sorry I don't have any expertise, but just sharing what my friends and I have tried.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you posted this in maintain weight. is that your goal?

if so, then you shouldn't be eating at a calorie deficit, or at the least not a very big calorie deficit. and if you are still hungry, you can go ahead and eat some or all of your burned calories.

so much of this is trial and error. see what works for you, and feel free to experiment for some time. good luck.
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    its net calories, if you burn 500 on workout then you need to at least eat some or all of them back to have a 1600 net calories for the day. MFP factors in your daily usage of calories and the 1600 will be what you need to meet the goals you have set.

its a very simplistic view above, there are people who can and will go into it in more detail but to be honest as long as you are covering your macros (fat, protein and carbs) and hitting or coming in just a little lower than your net of 1600 then you should meet your goals.

add your workout into mfp and it will add back the calories then you will know what you need to do to meet the 1600 you are looking towards

hope this helps
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    MFP folks recommend eating back like 2/3s of your exercise calories.
  • jchunt53
    jchunt53 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know if this is the case. My son (who lost a bunch of weight) told me to eat my daily non-exercise calories, then when I work out, eat those calories too. That goes against all my previous understanding that eating less than you burn = weight loss. I can see eating part of those, but all?
  • nrb119
    nrb119 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you
  • nrb119
    nrb119 Posts: 3
    Options
    No, sorry, this is my first time posting anything. I'm actually trying to lose weight, lol Opps
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know if this is the case. My son (who lost a bunch of weight) told me to eat my daily non-exercise calories, then when I work out, eat those calories too. That goes against all my previous understanding that eating less than you burn = weight loss. I can see eating part of those, but all?

I think you son is right. You might lose weight faster exercising and being at a deficit (bigger deficit) but you will be hungry. You can't sustain hunger. Go for the deficit and maintain it by eating back your exercise calories.

BTW, the national weight loss registry studies say that people who exercise tend not to lose or even gain because they get so hungry from exercising that they overeat to compensate. Now exercise is important, but that's why monitoring, staying at a small deficit, and eating back your exercise calories tends to be successful over the long haul. Many people who maintain do that.