I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• anushkilla
    anushkilla Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks Vismal!! Indeed I won't be on the same diet for months, yet I'll watch over the macro to keep it balanced. Thanks also for the good literature you have provided. Since quite a while I longed to read serious papers about weight loss from a scientific perspective. I'll also take a peak to your Youtube channel.

And as you said, I won't be recording the calories for every physical activity I realize since I want to keep a deficit, not covering it!! I'm currently writing I burned "1 calorie" just to keep a record of what activity I'm doing and how often.

Another question for you, do you believe in fat cells memory? Or is it the same that happens to addicts (in a brain level) when after a long abstinence time they are exposed again to their specific drug and the risk of falling again for it is high?
  • Ryderod
    Ryderod Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    A bit off topic, but I have been concentrating on lowering my body fat percentage. As we are approaching winter here, it now seems to me that I am a lot less tolerant of the cold, is this normal?
  • nic632
    nic632 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations, you've done an awesome job, you must be very proud of yourself and especially the way that you answer people's questions in a polite and caring manner is very commendable, as if you were talking to a friend. You certainly are an inspiration to many people out there.

I am a 5'1", 45 yrs and currently weigh 128lbs. I weigh and measure everything (I'm from the UK so don't know what serving size a 'cup' is), even if means going over my cals allowance of 1200, though this is mainly on a Friday or Saturday night (I like my wine) - but not every week.

I sincerely apologise if you have answered these before or maybe even half of them, but I was wondering if you could give me some advice?

Anyway, 12+ months ago I weighed 14lbs less than I do now, did no exercise, and didn't eat as healthily as I do now. Unfortunately the weight gradually crept up due to a lot of stressful situations which caused me to comfort eat, not on chocolate, crisps etc, just larger portion sizes of everything, still with no exercise. I re-joined MFP a month or so ago, started eating healthier and exercising, just about to start 4th week of T25 (tried Insanity but didn't last a week!).

One of my questions is - my weight has stayed the same for 6 wks now, despite eating healthier (and recording it accurately), nearly every day I'm in deficit (sometimes might go over on the odd weekend), drinking more water and exercising (cardio) 5/6 days a week. However despite this I haven't lost a lb and I don't understand why. Some people say up your cals, some say eat back your exercise cals, some say don't etc, etc. What's your opinion of where I could be going wrong?

The other question is - I have lots of loose skin everywhere from previous weight loss/gains which obviously I want to get rid of (I'm aware that you can't spot reduce) and I want to start using weights to help with this. I don't live anywhere near a gym but have at home a kettlebell, 3lb and 2kg dumbells that could help with this, but I don't know what sort of programme I should follow. From what I've read from previous posts, it's seems to be a case of which do you prefer - to lose weight or gain muscle? I've now decided that it's now really the inches I'm more bothered with. Is there any programme you could advise me to follow and which would be more beneficial - dumbells or kettlebell?

Oh and I wish I had your calves - you said yours are 17.5inches - mine are 22inches!

Thanks in advance and apologies for going on a bit - just wasn't sure how much info to give you.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Did you drink originally and did you while dieting? If so what/how much?
  • nic632
    nic632 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I drink a bottle Friday and one on a Saturday - that's my weekly treat. I've always done that, whether dieting or not, but don't drink during the week, so I'm drinking 14 units a week, which is supposed to be the max for women. I also alternate a glass of wine with a glass of water so I don't get dehydrated.

Don't know if this applicable, but I make the bottle last between 3 1/2hrs to about 4hrs, as those are the only 2 nights I stay up late.

Edit: Sorry not sure if the question regarding drinking was aimed at me or not.
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the inspiration and encouragement.
  • Ani45
    Ani45 Posts: 47
    Options
    Let me say Well done first :)

I love the fact that you KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT - From experience and because you have background knowledge. I am sure that being a health care professional has helped you understand many things. For example I am just in my second year of university but I am starting to understand and read actual studies, whereas before I would just read articles written by some random people without any knowledge on the subject, simply expressing their opinions without knowing people might actually read that and believe it !

I love your youtube videos. So informational
  • liamrose
    liamrose Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    well done, great job!!. can i ask your how much water you drink a day??
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • courtney123180
    courtney123180 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    wow that is absolutely amazing!!!
  • epazia
    epazia Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    your beautiful can I keep you?
  • MzOnree
    MzOnree Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You sexy hot beast! You've done fantastic! Hey, I used to live in Springfield Township...right outside of Akron. Born and raised there and lived there a total of probably (on and off) 30 years. I miss it. Your neck of the woods is great. I used to date a guy from Jackson Township area.

Thanks for sharing! You are a true success story! ;o)
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I just read 19 pages (!!) because I felt I was getting so much out of your answers.

Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions and congratulations on your extraordinary transformation.

I read a few pages back that you didn't think 1200 calories per day was a good idea.

I have been on MFP for 8 weeks and have lost 17 lbs. I have about another 50 lbs to lose. I am 41, female, 5 foot 8 and 192 lb(currently).

My daily goal is 1200 calories net. I have a fitbit and an HRM and eat back any extra calories. I read your points about not trusting these gadgets, but my days and weeks are very inconsistent so I couldn't take the approach that you mention.

Since I am losing at a reasonable rate, do you think this is a reasonable approach ?

PS - I'm going to try Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 - thanks for the tip !

Thanks
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Awesome Read!!!

I have been struggling the last few months and this post has made me rethink how I have been doing things. I am a 45 year old male, 5' 10" and weight about 220lbs. I haven't weighed myself in a few weeks so could be higher. I have been limiting myself to 1600 calories for so long and also been limiting foods. The last few months I have been binging a lot and I attribute it to the restrictions I have placed on myself as well as the low calorie intake.I have subscribed to your YouTube as well as Facebook page. I have also watched the video on calculating calories and macros. I am going to start following your methods to a tee. Although, going from 1600 to 2200 calories may be a challenge. I know I have been eating more than that when I binge but when tracking there is always that "diet" mentality that kicks in saying you have to starve yourself.

I will be lifting 3 times a week but won't be doing the 5x5 though. I have looked into that, but I am leaning towards New Rules of Lifting for Life. It is geared towards those of us that are a little bit up the age scale. The other days I will either do some form of cardio or nothing. I used to run a lot but have had lower back and hip issues that have made that hard the last several months. Now I have kind of lost the love for it.

Look forward to reading more and watching more of your videos.
  • Nonamepayne
    Nonamepayne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey i just wanted to say your success and information is motivating me more than ever . I am currently 23 years old, weigh about 285, just started counting calories 2 weeks ago. I currently have a set calorie to 1680 ( 200 calories below what MFP set because i thought it was to high ) . I try to workout 4 times a week ,but usually only burn 200-400 calories on a elliptical ( cardio is just to boring for me, no cardio is fun to me in the gym ) i have a sit down job, and im slightly active afterwards. Do you think with this regiment i have a chance on meeting my goal of about 200lbs. Or should i really push myself to do a 1 hour workout lol. My goal is to lose about 2lbs per week maybe more if it allows.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say: YOU HAVE DONE AWESOME!!!

I started in about May 2011 at 376...had a rough year last year, and am now back on track. Sucks that if I hadn't gotten off track, I could be closer to where you look!! JEALOUS!! :)

Very inspirational!! YOU ROCK!!
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    First off let me say you made an amazing transformation. Can I ask you for help on making a basic home gym routine? or know of a site that can help me build one? Someone has given me access to the equipment listed below. I'm new to lifting weights and building strength. I am on day 8 of 30day shred. I am looking for something to build on to the fitness I gain from the dvd or willing to stop it if there is a better way of doing this. I also go out for a walk or do the biggest loser power walk video every day. My over all fitness goal is to loose a large amount of fat and build endurance, not bruit force. I do have the money to buy a few more hand weights but I don't really have the money for barbells or other expensive equipments.

Equipment: Vibration machine platform (t-zone without handles), weider home gym(like the one in the link below), a reflex punching bag, exercise wheel, 1lb to 5lb ankle weights, 2-3lb 1-5lb and 2-10lb dumbbell.

http://www.ourfernie.com/images/weider-home-gym
  • healthkick88
    healthkick88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for answering my AMA :)
  • mary_xo
    mary_xo Posts: 4
    Options
    I need help!

I'm 5"6 and around 14 stone. I don't have a very high calorie intake normally, and I want to lose 3 stone by november. I don't know how to reach this goal as I don't know how I can restrict my calories further. I also dance 2 days a week and walk for a bit daily.
    I eat lots of fruit and vegetables.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

- I'm a student therefore I can't afford to attend the gym, and I attend college daily.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Just popped in to say that you turned yourself into a freakin' stud. Well done!
    Thanks for passing along good info in a sea of crap. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!