Scared to step on that scale.....

Options
Before starting this I went almost 2 months without weighing, the last time I stepped on the scale I was at my highest non-pregnant weight ever and I couldn't bare to see those numbers again. I mentally prepared my self to do this and do this right, I gave myself until the end of the year to completely pig out and get it out of my system, my pants got tighter, and my mind kept telling me that I had added on an additional 10 lbs. On January first I weighed in and was very surprised to see I was the exact same weight, I set a goal of weekly weigh ins and I am starting my 7th day but I don't wanna step on that scale. I am afraid if I don't see any results I will feel defeated and start to give up. I am thinking of pushing it off to every other week. How often do you weigh and do longer periods between weigh ins help at all or am I stressing for nothing?

Replies

• michelle_mareshfuehrer
    Options
    I can completely relate! I have to go to see an endocrinologist every 3 months (well, now every 4!) so I automatically find out my weight then. For the last year or so, my visits resulted in the exact same weight--no more, no less. I started on MFP on December 20th and was soooo scared to weigh-in. I was afraid I'd lose motivation if I didn't see a change. I decided to wait 2 weeks and I weighed-in this past Tuesday. I found out that I lost 4 lbs! It made me feel great! I think that I am going to wait and weigh in every 2 weeks because it will allow me to have a "bad day" without having to feel completely guilty and afraid.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If you personally feel stressed out with weighing once a week and feel like you will give up if you don't like your 1 week results, then I would NOT weigh that often. Some people weigh weekly without that stress and without the knowledge that they'd give up...so it works for them.

I weigh myself once a week, but mainly so I can get my body fat percentage. I record my weight loss once a month.

If I were you, I would just think of what interval would give you the most confidence about weight loss. For some people it's a week, others it is once every 2 weeks. And yet a lot more are once a month. Just give yourself enough time to workout and eat right so that you KNOW that you have lost weight because it's enough time to tell in other ways (clothes are smaller, for example) and then weigh in that often.
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am debating the exact same thing! I want to see atleast 2lbs off for my first week. But I too think I will fall off the wagon if I have not lost or only lost a few ounzes.
    I am intersted to see how others are dealing with this situation too.
    Good Luck
  • KristinaW
    Options
    I read that to be the most pleased with results you should only weigh a couple times a month- or just once a month.
    When people weigh to often it becomes all they can think about and unhealthy habits develop. Weighing to often will cause you to never have a happy feeling about the numbers cause you will only see decimals changing and never the whole digits that boost confidence.
    For these reasons I weigh myself one a month- at the time when I know my body is not likely to be bloated with extra water weight. I suggest others do the same, but most people can't handle the not knowing.
    And after a month of uncertainty- I often feel scared to death to step on the scale... but curiosity will always push me to get on it anyways.
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I started on the 1st of this month and can feel where your coming from but at the same time i also wanna step on the scales and see if i have lost thing is if i see no change i might get disheartened so i think i might leave it till next week for my first weigh in cos the first week i think you lose alot of water etc so if it goes up slightly the following week i will be disheartened :-( I'm in 2 minds whether to step on them scale tomo or not hmmm what to do what to do ... i do feel like i might have lost a lil though but i will see how i feel tomorrow
  • shadysyrup313
    shadysyrup313 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    3-5 times a day.
    I like seeing how much I've lost over the last few months. It makes me happy to be reminded. And helps to remind me more not to pig out cause I still have a tad bit left to lose.
  • Jen32Mn
    Jen32Mn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try not to be too focused with the numbers on the scale. Instead use your energy to track your calories, find motivation and determination and know that with healthy eating habits you will be successful-- it's bound to happen. Best of luck to you, you can do it...we can do it!
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    My first 3 weeks of working out and eating better had no effect on the scale. Then I cut back the workouts and continued with the healthier food options and the weight started sliding off... kind of weird, but goes to show you that everyone's different. Don't give up after 1 week. Or even a month. I'm down about 15 lbs (haven't updated my weight yet) but I still can't SEE a difference in the mirror. But I do FEEL it. And it feels wonderful. If I had given up after no results those first few weeks, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to feel this good.

I'm rooting for you! Best of luck! Hang in there :)
  • Femaleracer
    Options
    I completely understand!
  • shaunarlr83
    shaunarlr83 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Well after browsing before and after photos all day I have decided to wait a whole month and do my weigh in, measurements, and new photos all at once. Thank guys!!!!
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I had a baby four months ago. For the first month a lost 26lbs without even trying, now that I want to lose just ten I have been the same. Just like you, I'm afraid to weight myself. Some also told me that it takes nine months for you body to fully go back to normal ,guess what I refuse to wait that long. I feel like if I workout and eat right I can have my body back by the spring. The scale I'm afraid of!
  • mayana2002
    Options
    I tried to weigh before I started my diet (Last Monday), I couldn't so I decided to wait and do it for the first time next week. I am still in the dark and will not know how much I will lose this week. I am so afraid of scales... Last time i used one was about 5 years ago.... They are my nightmare (if I am fat or gaining wheight)
    Soon I hope they will be my partners in this journey. For now, I am not quite ready yet