Whey vs Sardines?

Options
Hi

Looking to gain lean muscle from exercise, having lost all my bodyfat (down to 8%) .

What's the difference between drinking a Whey Protein Shake or just eating a can of sardines every day as both seem to contain around 20g of protein?

Is there any other beneficial effect to drinking Whey Protein?

Thanks

K

Male, Age 45, 68kg, 180cm

Replies

• marycatherine000
    Options
    Sardines are delicious and are a good source of vitamin D, B12, calcium, iron, potassium and omega 3s.
  • Paizzaz
    Paizzaz Posts: 33
    Options
    I wouldn't touch sardines so there's that. I use protein shakes on days my intake is low. I'm not sure if it really has a benefit over other proteins but I just use it to supplement.
  • rljohnsufl
    rljohnsufl Posts: 48
    Options
    I agree with marycatherine. Sardines are much more nutritious than whey protein, though they may be high in sodium. I think whey protein is a convenient way to add a protein boost to smoothies, because many people just don't want to eat a tin of sardines. ;) However, if you like the sardines, go for it.
  • pinheadplanet
    pinheadplanet Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have to put this out there I JUST LOVE sardines, there's no doubt about that.
    And I'm not eating meat so all my protein comes from fish, seafood, nuts, bread, etc.
    Just wondering what the actual benefits of Whey protein were.
    I had bought my first load and was taking it but it does create a lot of gas in my stomach leaving me bloated and ...'leaking' lol. About time to buy some more but giving it second thoughts now. I have seen someone say Optimum Health Milk Protein doesn't have that side effect and still has the same amount of protein in each serving (about 20g) so that could be an option.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Go for the sardines if you like them. Most people use the Whey for convenience and may not like fish.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I just use whey as a supplement due to convenience...if you can get your protein without supplementing then you should be just fine.