Caloric burn calculations on here

Options
I've noticed that that on here I can burn 200 or so calories while walking 2.0 miles/hr for half-an-hour. This just seem right.
Are the calculations off?
Thank you

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It depends on your height/weight. A 6'5", 400 lb person is going to burn more calories doing the same activity as a 5'5", 100 lb person
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they're a bit off, but I've found that it actually underestimates for me. It's better to underestimate than overestimate, you know? If you can't get an HRM soon, just stick with MFP's calculations. But if you plan on eating your exercise calories back, I would try eating back only half or 3/4. Just in case. :) Save up for an HRM though! I love, love, love mine.
  • caroling
    Options
    I've been finding quite a few conflicting calculations online but I can tell you that my treadmill says I burn about 450 calories at 3.0-3.5 mph for 40-45 min.
  • LaylaClapton
    Options
    True enough, but it seems to me that if I could burn 300 cals doing a short walk like that, I wouldn't need to lose weight now. I would've been burning up the pavement! :laugh:

Anyway, thanks for the reply, and good luck in meeting your goals.
  • 951heather
    951heather Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I wanted to post the same question. I am not exactly sure how many calories I am burning on the elliptical. My machine at home said 124, but on here it said 257. I like the 257 better, but I need to know if have those calories to "spend" or not! Maybe this website is more accurate, because I entered my height and weight on here, but not on my machine at home.
  • Nursecasey
    Nursecasey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've found that it does not credit your calories for strength training. Does anyone else have that problem?
  • BrockDoe
    Options
    I've found that it does not credit your calories for strength training. Does anyone else have that problem?

Log the total time under "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" in the Cardiovascular section.

As for treadmils working out calories burnt, I wouldnt trust those either. Pretty general. Doesn't take into consideration height, weight, age, sex. etc etc