Best Diet/Exercise Plan for PCOS

Options
2»

Replies

• abbychristine91
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS a little over a year ago and have struggled with my weight my whole life. After my diagnosis I went into sort of a depression. I thought I was turning into an ugly man (because of the list of symptoms I've read PCOS can cause). I recently switched doctors and my new doctor is amazing! If you live near the Dayton area in Ohio I HIGHLY recommend Dr Dale Drollinger. He changed my whole view on PCOS, it is no longer a monster ruining my life, but now is a slight bump in the road that I have to navigate over. I was at my heaviest 4 days ago at 180 and after starting Yaz for my periods, Bactrim for some of my other symptoms caused by PCOS such as boils on my thighs, and Adipex for weight loss, I have lost 4.5 pounds in 4 days! I feel amazing. The Adipex has made my appetite practically non existent, and I feel like it has changed my thought process about food, I now eat as my body asks for it (stomach growling) and not just when I'm bored, emotional, or just purely want it. I have also started some exercise and plan on trying to fit more of that into my schedule during the 3 months I'm on the pill to further my success of weight loss. I pretty much eat whatever I want, but just extremely small portions with lots of fruits and veggies. :) I am no longer a victim of PCOS and even if my weight loss stops before my goal weight I see myself differently and that is the best thing to happen to me in a long time! If I can do it, you can! Sometimes simple diet and exercise doesn't cut it. Especially with PCOS but its okay to ask for supplemental help from a Doctor. :)
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I posted on this a long time ago. Best advice given....inositonol. I've been taking it and it does seem to help. Try it. Got it at GNC.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Try Primal. Like anything else it will not work for everyone but it has worked wonders for me. I have metabolic syndrome which is along the same lines as PCOS and have struggled for years to lose weight. In past 9 months on mostly Primal/low carb I have lost 100+.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com
  • Tzeitel7
    Tzeitel7 Posts: 2
    Options
    I didn't read through everyone's comments but here is my two cents, it's what my physician told me when I was diagnosed almost 6 years ago. He explained that the reason we produce to much androgen is because those of us with PCOS don't metabolize carbohydrates properly. He gave me three choices (I only remember two as the third was really lousy), they were the Atkins Diet and the SouthBeach Diet. We talked over the pluses and minuses of both and felt that for me and my needs the South Beach Diet and long term lifestyle was the best.

The books and nutritional information that you gain just from reading the South Beach diet on how different foods work together, how to choose good carbs when you do eat them and a whole host of information were fantastic advice. I was able to stay fairly focussed and lost a ton of weight in the first 6 months then maintained for about two more years. Because of kids, laziness etc I fell off the wagon and regained all my weight back.

This past week I have gone back on South Beach, am doing phase one at the moment. It's difficult but not insurmountable and I have already lost almost 6 pounds.

I hope you find this information helpful.

t
  • sarajwilliamson
    Options
    Hi guys, just wanted to give everyone some encouragement pcos can be really difficult to deal with. I was diagnosed a year ago and I am still struggling. The hardest thing was finding out we couldn't have kids. Now I get to fight the weight issues. I am so happy to see so many helpful tips. Thank you everyone! We will get through this, no one is alone!
  • djsmom0106
    djsmom0106 Posts: 2
    Options
    Girl, please please please do not listen to any of these people who are telling you you that you need to eat more calories each day. They know nothing about PCOS. I have had PCOS for 22 years and one thing I can tell you is that increasing your calories will only make you gain more weight. Unfortunately for us, that starvation mode would only kick in if we were eating next to nothing (which it probably already feels like). It's all about the type of foods you are eating. It's not fun. It's frustrating. It's not fair. I'm still struggling every day still after 22 years. I'm actually about to start back taking metformin, because with 2 kids, I simply do not have the time it takes to make completely balanced healthy meals 3-5 times a day. Blessed are we with bodies that aren't meant to live amongst this industrial and convenient society. Good luck.
  • djsmom0106
    djsmom0106 Posts: 2
    Options
    You can have kids. Take metformin. I have pcos. I have two kids, after being told many years ago that I would not be able to. Good luck!
  • alixfowler
    alixfowler Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm on Metformin but it wasn't for losing weight just what the doctor thought would be good for me to be on. I have lost 2 stone in 3 years (probably sounds rubbish) but I seem to have hit a wall at the moment so I'm glad there are people on here that understand the problems. PS pleased to know that having kids isn't an issue so there is hope for me yet lol.
  • helenjay70
    helenjay70 Posts: 1
    Options
    I found Slimming World brilliant for PCOS. I've tried low GI and cutting calories to 1200 a day but struggled as it took too much thinking about and a lot of the time I was really hungry. Slimming World is easier as you can eat as much free food as you want including carbs so it covers even the hungriest if days and it encourages you to eat lots of veg, lean meat, fish etc so is very healthy. I have also seen a huge reduction in my symptoms as well. Regular excersise also helps a lot. Good luck hop this helps!!
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    OK...I know everyone is going to pile on me for this but here goes...

I have PCOS and Hypothyroidism. I am able to lose weight by paying attention to my calories (at a calorie deficit) and exercising 5 or 6 days a week. Nothing crazy - I teach 4 aqua classes a week (that is how I get my cardio) and life weights 2 - 3 times a week. I try to stay active most days - take the dog for a walk, play tennis after dinner with the kids - but that is about it.

In other words, I don't do anything special to combat PCOS. And the weight comes off when I am tracking my food. And it piles back on when I am not. And, I don't eat crazy low calories or take out all the carbs. In fact, I eat a little over 1700 calories a day, sometimes more. I am currently a little on the heavy side for me (5'7" and 154 lbs.) but I only need to lose maybe 10 more lbs to be where I want to be. I have lost 4 lbs in the past month since I have been back to tracking. I gained some weight back over the winter because I was not tracking and eating way too many sweets (I like to bake).

Now...everyone is different and PCOS affects a number of different hormones a number of different ways. But, please don't think that it is impossible to lose weight with PCOS. It is very possible.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I posted on this a long time ago. Best advice given....inositonol. I've been taking it and it does seem to help. Try it. Got it at GNC.

Interesting. I have a fear I might have PCO or PCOS. I'm not overweight nor trying to get pregnant but I did a scan and have a lot of follicles..
    I have been taking Inositol pills for some time just because it helps with cell function but I didn't connect it to fertility at all.