SBF Fitness Challenge August 15

Options
Good morning everyone! I had the opportunity to get my Turbo Jam in early today so I'll post first. It was a good weigh-in day. Two more pounds gone & two more to my goal! Believe it or not, I'm excited and PETRIFIED at the same time. I will need to do some research about maintaining. After nearly a year of being extra cautious, I think I'm almost afraid to eat. I want to and will keep exercising, just not sure how much or how frequently.....

Everyone have a great Friday....I know I will!

Replies

• JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I had the opportunity to get my Turbo Jam in early today so I'll post first. It was a good weigh-in day. Two more pounds gone & two more to my goal! Believe it or not, I'm excited and PETRIFIED at the same time. I will need to do some research about maintaining. After nearly a year of being extra cautious, I think I'm almost afraid to eat. I want to and will keep exercising, just not sure how much or how frequently.....

• natalie424
    natalie424 Posts: 320
    Options
    Wow, Julie! Congratulations! You're doing such a great job... I'm truly inspired by what you have accomplished.

Yesterday was insanely busy for me, and I didn't manage to fit in my exercise.... first time that has happened since I joined MFP on June 23. But I did remain within my calories. I guess I'm feeling guilty.
    I'm sort of back at work (teacher... getting things ready at school) and I am adjusting to exercising when I come home rather than around 10:00 a.m. I have just got to commit to leaving work on time and getting home... that workout is important!

Today I plan to do Shred Level 2 + walk. I WILL not miss another workout.

Happy Friday! :smile:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Congrats Julie - so close! Of course, I've been around long enough to know that this is your SECOND goal!

I was watching the olympics and they were talking about the Michael Phelps phenomenon - he can burn 4000 calories in a workout (I assume, if he eats 12,000 calories there's more than one workout a day). So, I'm thinking to myself, what does he do? How could you possibly burn that many calories? Even half that many? I wonder what the women burn? Sorry, I'm just jealous.

Yesterday was some elliptical and some walking. I had to cut out the uphill walking because the backs of my knees started hurting - also happens when I push up the resistance on the elliptical too high. I can't wait for my wrist to be better so I can vary my workout again. Should be ok by next week as long as I don't push it. Today is more of the same.

Happy workouts!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

I was watching the olympics and they were talking about the Michael Phelps phenomenon - he can burn 4000 calories in a workout (I assume, if he eats 12,000 calories there's more than one workout a day). So, I'm thinking to myself, what does he do? How could you possibly burn that many calories? Even half that many? I wonder what the women burn? Sorry, I'm just jealous.

I was wishing they'd do a similar study with a female athlete. (Frankly, it's no big surprise to me that a 23 year old male, olympic caliber athlete can eat whatever he wants) I'm imagining he's in the pool 5-6 hours a day, and then lifting or something similar another hour or two. When it's your job to work out, I imagine it adds up pretty quickly. And again, he's a 23 year old man who's 6'4", so I'm sure that helps.

Today is: bikram, water and vits. A really strange thing happened at bikram Wednesday. It felt easy. In fact, after class I asked the teacher "is there something wrong with the heater? It doesn't seem as hot in here." She showed me the thermometer, and it was actually hotter (and more humid) than usual. Maybe it was all the resting? I have noticed that I seem less cranky and sore since taking a break. I think I WAS overtraining, so I'm now looking at the old schedule to figure out how to spread it out or lighten it up. My current theory is to have two days that are "just cardio" and one day that is "just weights". Or, just every 2-3 weeks, take a day totally off. Or, more likely, both. I just always find myself on the elliptical or the bike every time I go to the gym. The idea of just doing weights seems somehow lazy. Why, that would only be an hour in the gym! (I have completely lost my mind. Or gained it.)

And Julie, congrats! I also totally relate to the "transition" fears. It's hard to stop restricting. I still have days where I feel like I've way over-indulged and then when I log I'm actually under my calories. The way I've been looking at it, it's just less of an exact science. I just don't worry if I'm a few hundred under or over here or there. (or I TRY not to worry, anyways)

Happy workouts to all!:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    Options

I was wishing they'd do a similar study with a female athlete. (Frankly, it's no big surprise to me that a 23 year old male, olympic caliber athlete can eat whatever he wants) I'm imagining he's in the pool 5-6 hours a day, and then lifting or something similar another hour or two. When it's your job to work out, I imagine it adds up pretty quickly. And again, he's a 23 year old man who's 6'4", so I'm sure that helps.

Yeah, it would be interesting to see the difference in men and women - they said he worked out 30 hours a week. So 5 hours a day, 6 days a week, maybe? So 8000 calories in 5 hours. So what, a half ironman in 5 hours? So, for me to even come close = 10 hours at the highest effort possible on a spin class or about 40 hours of walking at 3.5 :laugh:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Woohoo Julie! Congrats! :drinker:

Sadly yesterday I fell off the wagon again, I seem to do it once a week :grumble: Thank goodness I didnt gain over a pound! :bigsmile: Starting a new today! I raised my cals to 1300 instead of 1200.. Seems to be working well. I want to burn 235 cals today to make my 1000 cal a week minimum at least! haha I will probably do Zumba for the most part. I like it since it doesnt feel like working out.

I really dread shred level 2!! How are you liking Natalie? I HATE IT!! Well its not too bad, i just hate the plank moves :grumble: at times i just jog through them or "skip rope" hahaha

Julie and vivkay, I have to ask the same question I asked Tami about your weightloss... As you know Im always "falling off the wagon" do you ever have days like that, the ones that set you back, or are you completely driven?
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, All! I would also love to see a study done on female athletes and what they burn. I've become a bit obsessed with women's volleyball because the women are in SUCH great shape! And it was great to finally clear up that mystery of the black thing on Walsh's shoulder -- turns out it's tape which is protecting it after her shoulder surgery.

Anyway, leaving town tomorrow again, with more goals for keeping healthy on the road for the next round. Mary -- I'm trying, but it is so hard as you know!!!!

Lately I've been inspired by this workout I read about on bodybuilding.com (a great resource for exercise programs -- don't be overwhelmed by the focus on bodybuilding; they also have great workouts and excellent examples of how to do exercises):
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fitness_model_training.htm

Today:
    ~ Power yoga (done this morning)
    ~ 45 minutes of cardio, either swimming or at the gym
    ~ Take my vitamins
    ~ Drink my water (lately I've been waking up dying of thirst so I think I need to drink more)
    ~ Buy new running shoes! Hurrah!
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Ok, just finished a little over 6 mile walk uphill (except the first mile) - burned 700 calories - so just 54 miles to go to burn 7000! It would take about 17 hours. No problem, right?

Did see the 41 year old woman swim in the prelims - awesome! awesome! awesome! She has a body to go for. Seem to have too little fat for a swimmer though (look at their backs, they usually have a little back fat bump - helps them float).
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Julie and vivkay, I have to ask the same question I asked Tami about your weightloss... As you know Im always "falling off the wagon" do you ever have days like that, the ones that set you back, or are you completely driven?

I have days like that all the time. But, I've taken to planning them. If I feel the "naughtiness" coming on, I go to the "reports" tab and see how long it's been since I've spiked on my chart. If it's been a few weeks (I usually try for two-three weeks in between these days) I say "well, it must be time for it!" and I have the "bad" food. Although, I actually think more in terms of "everyday" and "sometimes" foods. I actually try to go over on purpose about once a month. Which, on maintenance+exercise, is a project. Since I exercise a lot, at least 500 calories per session/day, that makes it hard for me to go super crazy. I have to try to go over in my calories. I can't imagine staying within my calories if I didn't work out. (also, the stress reduction that comes from exercising reduces my urge to stress-eat)

When I was first starting out, I just had bad, binge-y days all the time. Now that I'm able to recognize the stress eating, I hardly ever just lose control. The most important thing is, you'll have those moments. Just start over again immediately. The biggest trap is "well, this day is shot. . .so I might as well eat all the pie available within five miles" (pie was always my drug of choice). If you screw up, immediately start over again, and don't beat yourself up by looking backwards.:flowerforyou:
  • JulieB21
    Options

I really dread shred level 2!! How are you liking Natalie? I HATE IT!! Well its not too bad, i just hate the plank moves :grumble: at times i just jog through them or "skip rope" hahaha

I can actually say that the only thing I can't get used to with the Shred workouts is the shortened time. I always feel like I'm not doing enough. I only did Level 2 for 6 days and went to Level 3. Still tough-just a different tough.

As far as "falling off the wagon" goes-I can honestly say that when it happens, it's only for one meal-usually a spur of the moment-no good choices on the menu kind of thing. I think that's why the idea of maintaining really scares me to death. I've done the "diet" thing before and always gained the weight back. I'm so determined to make this a "lifestyle change" that I live, breath and sleep being healthy & fit. My daughter hates the fact that I tell her the calories she's eating before she even puts the food into her mouth! Anal-maybe. Thin-FOREVER!
  • JulieB21
    Options
    Congrats Julie - so close! Of course, I've been around long enough to know that this is your SECOND goal!

I know Mary. I think about that often. I set my first goal 20 pounds ago thinking that I would never reach it. I set it so that I was just into the healthy BMI range and the higher end of recommended weight for me. Once I got there and was surprised how I was able to stick with it, I decided to keep on truckin'. Now my BMI is 22.5 and I went from a size 18-20 to a comfortable size 8. :drinker: Life is GOOD!
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for your replies!! I dont eat out of stress, mostly out of boredom, food tasting so great, and hunger. Last night I wasnt hungry but everyone was eating ice cream and it was SO HOT and I wanted one really bad, but that didnt set me over... It was when my mom decided to order out for everyone.. I got a Cesare salad (but you know how much sauce they put on and it was LOADED with parmesan cheese) and then had a slice of cheese and supreme pizza hut pizza... Which of course is filled with oil!! (I work there, i know just how much oil they use haha) Not cause I was hungry but because FOOD TASTES SO GOOD!! I am getting a lot better now though with eating until im full not until my plate is empty. Before I ALWAYS had to eat EVERYTHING that was in front of me on my plate or in my order. Now I am getting better at stopping when Im full. haha rrrrrr food :tongue:
  • natalie424
    natalie424 Posts: 320
    Options

Hey Carrie... I like the Shred Level 2, especially the arm work. I'm not a big fan of the plank moves either... I just do them and tell myself there's only a few more seconds to go. I think I am going to move on to Level 3 next week.

Have a great weekend everyone! :drinker:

Safe travels, wanderinglight!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Two more pounds gone & two more to my goal! Believe it or not, I'm excited and PETRIFIED at the same time. I will need to do some research about maintaining. After nearly a year of being extra cautious, I think I'm almost afraid to eat. I want to and will keep exercising, just not sure how much or how frequently.....

I am nowhere near my goal but I understand the fear, the last thing you want to do after all your hard work is to gain it all back. I feel like if I do this the right way, slow and steady, and eat real food so I am not dependent on packaged stuff then I think my chances of taking and keeping it off improve. YOu are obviously a determined person and if you keep yourself in check I think you will do great! I am totally impressed, and now you have motivated me to get on the treadmill :laugh:

YOu can do it! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :smooched: :love:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies. I'm back home. I am so ready to get back to it. I only worked out twice this week. And I ate some not so healthy food. I don't want to eat out for awhile after tomorrow. I am going to eat good healthy food next week because I feel nasty. I will try to post tomorrow as I have sit ups and some walking to do. Congrats on your loss Julie! Whoo hoo!