Dressing to hide obesity

Options

Replies

• pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Cardigans for daaaaaaays. Especially the nice loose and flowy kind that fall past your hips. Even though I'm out of the 'obese' zone now, I live for my long, pretty sweaters. When I was a size 18, people assumed I was a 14 (those that I polled that I knew would be honest with me), because I was a decent dresser. Now that I am a 14, I've gotten kind of lazy (workout clothes allllll the time, because I'm always working out :P). I actually dressed more nicely 40 pounds ago :P
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

GOLDEN RULE:
    DO NOT wear any clothes that are even slightly too small.
    While it is mentally nice to be able to "fit" into a size smaller, it does not mean it looks good. An example could be pants, where you could technically fit in a size smaller but gives muffin top or what not, this actually makes people look larger than if they wore a larger pant size!

This is a good rule for everyone, whether you're obese or at your optimum weight.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    When I still hadn't decided to lose weight and I ended up being almost obese, I still used to find relief in wearing anything I wanted. Well, I didn't want to wear mini skirts or stuff like that because I felt "ashamed", but that doesn't mean I didn't find nice clothes that I loved and that made me feel great.
    So my advice is to keep your passion for fashion alive even if you're not at your goal weight. Clothes aren't made for skinny people only! Try to find out which are your potentials and show them up. If you feel comfortable with bright clothes, or funny accessories, wear them. Try to create your own style that makes you feel unique and comfortable. I think a nice dress would make any woman feel pretty - just choose the right size so that it really suits you!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,673 Member
    Options
    Structured, tailored styles help. A heavy person will look more shapely in a well cut suit than in sweats.
  • levesquechristiane
    Options
    And wear whatever you like on you and makes you feel pretty and confident.

That's what I do.

Be proud of yourself and love the skin you live in, everything else will fall in right place.

THIS! I spent too much time worrying about what others thought about what I wear. In the end, going with what I like and feel good/pretty in was the best advice ever. Now people keep complimenting me, even though I am almost 200 lbs, and 5'4".
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    For larger women, the area right under the breasts tend to be their skinniest area. Additionally, their breasts tend to be on the larger side.

So, maximize that by wearing dresses/shirts that flow from after the breast on down, instead of the traditional dress that flows from the waist on down.

Avoid neon colors like the plague. Go for designs that break areas up instead of fully solid colors.

If you can wear heels or shoes that raise you a little bit, it will add a slimming effect.

GOLDEN RULE:
    DO NOT wear any clothes that are even slightly too small.
    While it is mentally nice to be able to "fit" into a size smaller, it does not mean it looks good. An example could be pants, where you could technically fit in a size smaller but gives muffin top or what not, this actually makes people look larger than if they wore a larger pant size!

A lot of it really depends on the style of clothing you like to wear and the shape of your body.

TL;DR:
    No neon. Ever.
    Accent what you got, minimize what you don't.
    NEVER wear a size too small.
    Heels rock (not street side worker girl heels though...)
    Solids should be avoided unless there's a design involved.

Shop with a friend. Ask honest opinions. Some of the prettiest girls I know are overweight/obese. They just wear stuff that fits properly in the right areas, work their make up well, and have confidence.

OMGosh YES. Everything she said. Maurices Jeans are awesome. Also, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE buy a cheap bra. Go to Cacique or Victorias Secret and get fitted. Try on several styles. Pull those boobies up. Not cup overflowing up but just where they are supposed to be. Go get your hair done at a NICE salon. Then go to the store and get brand new makeup. On your way home stop and get a manicure and pedicure.

Enjoy where you are at on the way to where you are going ladies. Lifes to long to be miserable and too short to not have fun!
  • Confused892014
    Options
    i'm scared to go into stores and try on clothes because i feel like the salespeople are thinking rude thoughts about me so i usually just buy stuff by ordering on the phone so that they don't see me
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    After I buy work clothes, I take them to get altered to look more professional on me. For example, depending on the shirt for example, I might change the sleeve from too long to ¾, take in the sides, . . .
    I usually have some ideas before I get there, but I trust the ladies to do what will work. They do not change me much.
  • saranne1015
    saranne1015 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    straight leg jeans and slacks (that is, pants that hug until a little above mid-thigh and then drop in a straight line to the ground).

cuts or designs that create a v-line on shirts and blouses.

empire waist cuts on dresses and tops.

high-waisted skirts, pencil skirts, especially.

wide belts can help create an hourglass shape.

fitted blazers are the most amazing things in the world (find one that buttons neatly over your chest and nips in at your waist--and if you can't find one that hits those marks, buy one and tailor the hell out of it)

and always, always, ALWAYS buy stuff that FITS. and by that, i don't mean just steer clear of stuff that's too small--stay away from stuff that's too big, as well! hiding your figure under big tees and sweats makes you look boxier and bulkier. show off what yo mama gave you. draw attention to the bits you're especially proud of--decoration around the decolletage, bottoms that hug your booty--figure it out, deck it out, and show it proud.

(source: every episode of "what not to wear" ever in existence)
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Two stories: first, there is a woman in the town nearest me who always looks good and always looks like she's losing weight. She is not heavy but there is something about her that makes you think she has just lost a few pounds (all the time). Finally I realized what it is. She wears clothing that is just a tiny, tiny bit too big. I do not mean a saggy butt in jeans or too large shoulders on her tops, but instead she wears nothing that is skin tight.

Second story. The last time I was at my doctor's office for a quick update she asked me if people had noticed that I've been losing weight. I acknowledged that a few had but not many. She said, "I think its probably because, unlike many overweight women, you never wear skin tight clothing, so you don't see every bulge." Hmmmm. Well, my jeans were getting pretty damn tight around Christmas! But I know what she means. I happen to just be comfortable in clothes with a bit of room, and never have been one to wear clingy tops.

You have youth on your side, plus if your ticker on your profile page indicates the amount of weight you need to lose, are not very overweight anyway. The outfits you showed in the picture ^^ a few posts up certainly look normal size and cute. If they fit you nicely wear them! If you are embarrassed to show certain parts of your body at your current weight, then don't. Who cares? Usually young women have toned arms and legs regardless of their weight. Take advantage of it!
  • BurntCoffee
    Options
    And never underestimate the power of jeans and sexy high heels. And don't forget accessories and jewelry.

I never realized just how passionate I am about fashion. LOL
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I have a moderately dressy shirt that I absolutely love, since it can stand alone as a casual or look really nice under a jacket. It has downward pointing chevrons, with the open ends starting around my shoulders. I think it flatters my shape and gives me the illusion of a waist (even at my best weight I'm very short waisted). Now that I'm losing weight, it's nice and loose around the bottom, so it doesn't squish my fat into obvious places. LOL
  • BurntCoffee
    Options
    i'm scared to go into stores and try on clothes because i feel like the salespeople are thinking rude thoughts about me so i usually just buy stuff by ordering on the phone so that they don't see me

Time to get over that. The truth is, THEY don't matter and THEY probably could care less. :) I wish I could take you shopping.
  • saranne1015
    Options

girl, no. NOOOO. buying online/over the phone=returns, shipping, post office lines, so so so many problems. and dude, those salespeople, chances are, they are probably just thinking about when they can go on their break. everyone has their own issues; maybe they feel the same way when shopping too. get a girlfriend, go to those stores, try on everything, and find something that makes you feel beautiful.
  • Confused892014
    Options
    I have a moderately dressy shirt that I absolutely love, since it can stand alone as a casual or look really nice under a jacket. It has downward pointing chevrons, with the open ends starting around my shoulders. I think it flatters my shape and gives me the illusion of a waist (even at my best weight I'm very short waisted). Now that I'm losing weight, it's nice and loose around the bottom, so it doesn't squish my fat into obvious places. LOL

post pic, i want to see
  • saranne1015
    Options

OMGosh YES. Everything she said. Maurices Jeans are awesome. Also, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE buy a cheap bra. Go to Cacique or Victorias Secret and get fitted. Try on several styles. Pull those boobies up. Not cup overflowing up but just where they are supposed to be. Go get your hair done at a NICE salon. Then go to the store and get brand new makeup. On your way home stop and get a manicure and pedicure.

Enjoy where you are at on the way to where you are going ladies. Lifes to long to be miserable and too short to not have fun!

yes, yes, yes about the bras. i remember hearing somewhere that many women are wearing the wrong size bra. cacique has AMAZING bras--and i'm pretty sure they sell through lane bryant (right, BurntCoffee?). i'm a full-fronted lady, so trust me when i say that the perfect bra can dramatically improve your overall look.
  • chargraves
    chargraves Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Unless you want to wander around in a box of some kind you cannot hide obesity with clothing.
    Although this is true you can dress in a way to make yourself feel confident. When I was a 3x 28/30w ish, most of my wardrobe came from the home shopping channels. For work My standard was twin sets and dress pants which were almost impossible to find in my size at retail stores. For casual I steered clear of leggings and stuck to colourful tops and dark pants. Even at 319 lbs I never felt self conscious. Probably because there are more obese ad super morbidly obese people around than ever.
  • BurntCoffee
    Options
    OP, How much weight do you need to lose? You don't look obese in that photo.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Don't hide being obese. Just work your *kitten* off to get rid of it!!!
  • missthix
    missthix Posts: 10
    Options
    Wear what fits your body nicely. Even if you are size 20. I always see girls that actually wear 3 to 4 sizes bigger but wear their pants under their stomach fat. Big no no. Wear what flatters your body no matter what size. I am a 16 right now but my smallest two years ago was a 12.