Marathon training and MFP

Options
Hi everyone. I don't post often but read lots for motivation. I just started training for my first full marathon which I will be running in September. I know with all the running I will be hungry so my questions are

1) Should I adjust my profile to reflect the increase in exercise?

2) Just keep my profile as is and eat my exercise calories too?

I have a fit bit which I have connected to my account.

Thanks for all the input.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    leave your profile the same and use your device to attempt to eat back the right number of calories
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    leave your profile the same and use your device to attempt to eat back the right number of calories

That's what I would do, too, unless you prefer the TDEE method.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I don't post often but read lots for motivation. I just started training for my first full marathon which I will be running in September. I know with all the running I will be hungry so my questions are

I would leave your account the way it is. And, I would be mindful of the fact that losing weight and training for a marathon are really tough to do at the same time. Be patient and realize there will be points where things will not go the way you want to. I have been stuck at the same weight for a while, but have received a number of comments about my continued weight loss. My sense is that our journey isn't a straight line, but more a series of ups and downs.

Good luck!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

I would leave your account the way it is. And, I would be mindful of the fact that losing weight and training for a marathon are really tough to do at the same time. Be patient and realize there will be points where things will not go the way you want to. I have been stuck at the same weight for a while, but have received a number of comments about my continued weight loss. My sense is that our journey isn't a straight line, but more a series of ups and downs.

Good luck!

awesome response.
  • ZombieMom79
    ZombieMom79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I should have also added that during this time I am okay with that losing weight but to be able to maintain my weight as it is.

Cheers!
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have decided with marathon training I was just going to have the goal to maintain my weight. I was going to change it to that setting when I start training in a few weeks. I can let you know how it goes :-)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI - I gained weight my first two marathons and lost it shortly after I quit training. I know I wasn't overeating, I wasn't under eating either. It was what I was eating. Marathon training you have a tendency to use more carbs when running your long training runs, your body will slow metabolism on these runs to conserve, and then you end up taking more carbs in. All runners are taught to do this. I was running, fit, healthy and my blood work came back as 75% chance of getting diabetes, simply because my body was really trying to use all those carbs I was taking in. Be mindful of the gu/gel/etc... when training or you are likely to gain not lose depending on where you are currently in fitness levels.