I have thrown my hands up!

Options
2»

Replies

• PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    It's so aggravating to me that doctors will tell you to lose weight and not give any direction as to how to do so other than decrease your calories.

My doctor gave me a "menu" to stick to.

Breakfast- 1/2 c Bran cereal, 1/4 c skim milk. Ok, I am ok with Bran cereal, but look lady doctor, 1/2 c?!?!? really???
    Lunch- small salad, no dressing. Ok, well I think I may choke now.
    Dinner- 2 oz lean meat, 1/4 c steamed veggies.

So you get the idea. I was going to starve myself and at the same time, be irritable, grumpy, hold onto any fat that my body was getting, because it would really think it was starving.

In March, I did add protein shakes before breakfast and one as an afternoon snack. That was difficult, as the different ones i tried all tasted like tree bark with Spelnda.

Your "doctor" suggested a diet of less than 400cals/day??? Get another doctor! And regarding your "norm"... your "norm" can change, especially when the body undergoes stressors as marriage difficulties. Determine your TDEE, eat at a 500 calorie deficit, get moderate cardio exercise and start strength training. And add some patience. Problems solved.

Ditto a second opinion or a new doctor. Starvation diets that taste like crap help no one. Eat less (normal deficit) of the foods you already eat and work out. For pity's sake I wouldn't eat this either.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    It's so aggravating to me that doctors will tell you to lose weight and not give any direction as to how to do so other than decrease your calories.

Breakfast- 1/2 c Bran cereal, 1/4 c skim milk. Ok, I am ok with Bran cereal, but look lady doctor, 1/2 c?!?!? really???

So you get the idea. I was going to starve myself and at the same time, be irritable, grumpy, hold onto any fat that my body was getting, because it would really think it was starving.

In March, I did add protein shakes before breakfast and one as an afternoon snack. That was difficult, as the different ones i tried all tasted like tree bark with Spelnda.

Dear lord! Your doctor is a moron!
  • lizfreakinm
    lizfreakinm Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Holy starvation batman!! You need to eat way more than that. Have you looked into seeing a nutritionist or anything like that? Don't give up, quitting smoking and losing any weight is a great accomplishment. Maybe you just need to tweak what you're eating a little bit?
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    You'll never reach your goal if you quit.
    Yeah it sucks that it's going so slowly (I'm right there now too), but you were still going forward.

If you quit and wake up a year from now 20 or 30 pounds heavier, you'll feel really silly about giving up now.
  • michab108
    michab108 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have went as far as going to my Dr and talking about Bariatric surgery, but that really scares me, and I have 0 co-morbidities, so it would be difficult for me to qualify with my insurance company. I feel that mentally I am going through my mid-life crisis already. I don't know if its because I turned 30 and then only lost 3 lbs all in the same month, who knows.

Starting small does sound a lot better than what I have been doing. If only I could love exercise as much as I love to eat!

I am absolutely not a fan of exercise. So, I've found little ways to make it more enjoyable. First, I've been doing my cardio in 20 minute increments, using a walk-at-home video. If the weather is really good, I'll walk outside but always, always, always take music. There are tons of exercise albums that fit different heart rate goals. Check them out on amazon or itunes. Then, I look forward to hearing my favorite music while I exercise. And, comfy shoes make all the difference in the world.