Dressing to hide obesity

Options
13»

Replies

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Wear clothes that fit you. Clothes that *honestly* fit you - not 2 sizes too small because you don't want to admit what size you are, not 2 sizes too big because you want to hide in them. Clothes that fit will be the most flattering on you. Anything else will be obvious and draw attention rather than disguise, even clothes that are too big.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    OP, How much weight do you need to lose? You don't look obese in that photo.

I was wondering too
  • Confused892014
    Options
    i need to lose a lot of weight. i wrote another thread to show how upset i am and what i am going through right now. if you want, you can check it out, it's in the motivation and support forum i think.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    i'm scared to go into stores and try on clothes because i feel like the salespeople are thinking rude thoughts about me so i usually just buy stuff by ordering on the phone so that they don't see me

OP, I just really looked at your picture. Do you suffer from body dis-morphia. You may need to speak with someone. My early post can hide problem areas for smaller women too. I used those tricks when I bloated or gained winter weight when I was small.

Nobody is seeing you as huge and I assure you the sales people are not thinking these things. Something is off here and I think it is your perception of your body. Another trick, check your posture. Bad posture makes a belly bigger, boobs smaller and droopy and just projects insecurity. Work on you perception not hiding, the results will be much more rewarding.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    from your picture you dont look that big... 30 lbs is something to want to lose but not something to hide behind. I used to be 40 lbs heavier than i currently am, and i'm 5'3. so being overweight by about 60 lbs SHOWS.

I would try to buy shirts that are more structure and have darting. i recently went to a store and tried on a shirt that the skinny shop girl was wearing -- she didnt have a chest so it sat on her nicely. for me it made me super boxy. just try to find styles you know will work for your body type, and if you are confused just ask a salesperson! i love skirts that have an a - line. my mother hates skirts and dresses and ops for dark jeans.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Definitely go out and get a bra fitting. When your boobs aren't where they are supposed to be it makes you look 10-15 pounds heavier. I was amazed at how much of a difference the right bra makes. Soma, Essential Bodywear, or any good quality bra. Have someone else do the bra fitting. Don't wear baggy t-shirts or sweats. They make you look bigger. It's summer, so not sure how you feel about shapewear, but that makes a big difference too.
  • grandloves
    grandloves Posts: 18
    Options
    Here's a tip: wear whatever the hell you want. Dress how you feel confident, and don't worry about what others may think. You shouldn't have to hide in your clothes, regardless of your weight.

ETA: Just saw your other thread. I'm urging you to seek professional help.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Read and commented on your other thread. This topic is really not the concern, you need help Luv and an internet forum is not the answer.
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Have to say men have it easier generally, office workers easiest of all.

Work suits - (don't go baggy, it makes weight worse).
    Suits, single breasted and matching trousers (buy 2 pairs for each jacket). Ideally 2 buttons only but 3rd not end of world. Only do top button of jacket up, leave the bottom button undone.
    If not sure of material, buy wool to start, nothing man made. Cotton if warmer climate or season.
    Not sure of colour then grey, it does every occasion, not dark charcoal not light but between the two.
    Make sure jacket fits shoulders nothing baggy. If short (like me) don't have a long jacket that ends below balls.
    Sleeves stop at your wrist, the rest will be filled by your shirt sleeve to the hand.
    Have trousers cut to right length, if baggy will make you look like a slobish and bigger than we are. Think about taking some width out the legs as well.

Put a square in your top pocket, unlike girls we want focus on our chest not belly (okay don't stare at girls bellies ... No not their chest, try the eyes).

Don't go for pinstripes unless very thin and subtle.

Shirts
    Ensure they fit you around the neck (take measurements) and buy tie at same time to match (or contrast). If not sure what works ask shop assistant or see what they have laid out.
    The shirt cuff should be slightly longer than jacket. French cuff works well but not a must do.

Tie
    No whacky tie ... Ever ... No not even that one, put it back, yes I know your daughter gave it to you but put it down, you are taking fashion advice from a 5 year old that dresses in a ballet skirt, wellies and a baseball cap. No!

Tie should finish at your belt buckle, not an inch above, not tucked in. Find a tie bar, place just above 3rd button from top, shouldn't be wider than tie.

Shoes
    Those stylish pointy shoes go in the bin, you are not a court jester. Get big soled shoes that are chunkey, a boot even. Big guys need big roots.

Buying
    Get a bespoke suit if you can. Thinking about lable like Boss or Jager level? Then you are probably at bespoke costs already when take alteration costs into account.

If you have a gay friend with taste take them. Stereotype? Why yes but often true.
    Failing that a fashionable girl and listen to the shop assistant.

Once you bought the suit, if from a shop get it taylored, yes you spent money on the suit but it needs to fit you right, even the jacket sleeves. Trust me, take a picture before and after in the suit. Have an existing suit you lost weight as doesn't fit? Taylor it, cheeper than buying a new one.

Casual life
    Jeans and casual shirt (untucked). Get the jeans taylored to right length, not baggy.

TLDR? Don't go baggy.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    For larger women, the area right under the breasts tend to be their skinniest area. Additionally, their breasts tend to be on the larger side.

So, maximize that by wearing dresses/shirts that flow from after the breast on down, instead of the traditional dress that flows from the waist on down.

Avoid neon colors like the plague. Go for designs that break areas up instead of fully solid colors.

If you can wear heels or shoes that raise you a little bit, it will add a slimming effect.

GOLDEN RULE:
    DO NOT wear any clothes that are even slightly too small.
    While it is mentally nice to be able to "fit" into a size smaller, it does not mean it looks good. An example could be pants, where you could technically fit in a size smaller but gives muffin top or what not, this actually makes people look larger than if they wore a larger pant size!

A lot of it really depends on the style of clothing you like to wear and the shape of your body.

TL;DR:
    No neon. Ever.
    Accent what you got, minimize what you don't.
    NEVER wear a size too small.
    Heels rock (not street side worker girl heels though...)
    Solids should be avoided unless there's a design involved.

Shop with a friend. Ask honest opinions. Some of the prettiest girls I know are overweight/obese. They just wear stuff that fits properly in the right areas, work their make up well, and have confidence.

I have to disagree with the idea of having clothes that are fitted just below the breast. That makes heavy women look like they're pregnant. I think have a gather just above the breast (smocking or the like) that then falls straight down is much more camouflaging, and doesn't look like a maternity top. Agree with waist-down being bad.

A-line styles are good. Drop-waists are attractive if your middle is large. Not so much if hips are your problem. Tops that form a downward-pointing "V" in the front help to slenderize, too. A-line tunic tops with straight-leg pants are good for disguising large waists - but NO "skinny jeans" ever if you're obese. Also - don't wear clothes that are too large or too baggy. You'll look slimmer if your clothes are fitted to your body - not cut like tents.

Just a few hard-learned clothing lessons. =)
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The fact that most of these replies are full of "tips" and "rules" to hide your fat is absurd. Wear what feels good, in the colors and patterns and styles and cuts that you like, and roll around in all of the compliments that you will get on your great style. You don't have to hide anything about yourself, ever. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just projecting their own body insecurity onto you.

I will second some posters who encouraged you to look at fatshion tumblrs- it might help for you to see woman (and men) of all shapes and sizes embracing fashion in a fun and positive way.