Atkins any thoughts?

Options
Hello, I'm getting back into weight loss head first this time. What I mean by that is I want to think about what I'm doing with my body and what I'm putting into my body at all times. A few years ago I spoke with a nutritionist. She told me to give up grains and processed foods. I am willing to do this now. What is your take on Atkins? (Not eating frute sounds crazy to me but I'm willing to try anything to jumpstart this process)

Replies

• dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It's too extreme for me. I like to be able to eat everything, but in moderation. My friend has tried Atkins several times and each time developed gall bladder problems. Her dr. said this is not terribly uncommon for people on Atkins. I forget why this is. She explained it to be but it was complicated and I'm not very good at medical things.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    When my mother tried it 10 years ago, I remember that she smelled funny and had a lot of trouble making bowel movements. She was miserable and had headaches. I found it pretty gross that she would eat a bunch of bacon or eggs and no roughage. In anecdotal experience, it is an unnatural and unsustainable "diet". Your journey should be a lifestyle change and you can't eat Atkins eternally.
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Your journey should be a lifestyle change and you can't eat Atkins eternally.

No one can eat any diet eternally. Give Atkin's a try for a few weeks and see how you do. It can be quite effective.

High carb diets with lots of sugar, rice and grains can be considered pretty "unnatural" too
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    There is a Atkins Support Group that you can join for more info.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/5268-atkins-support-group
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Atkins can cause kidney failure and diverticulitis. Just follow the if it fits your macros (IIFYM), aka calorie counting, approach that myfitnesspal is based on.
  • bellaphile
    bellaphile Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    once upon a time, I lost 60lbs on Atkins. Then gained it all back once I stopped the lifestyle.

I tried it again because the weight would always come off so fast, but IMO it's hard to keep up with, especially because one bad day can throw you out of ketosis, and you have to start all over again. At least if I have a bad day on IIFYM I can bounce back from it.

If you think you can be disciplined enough to stick to it, it does work. But if you think it will be too hard to skip the temptations, I wouldn't recommend it.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you need to eat fewer calories than you burn. It's that simple. You might as well eat the foods you like to eat -- what's the point of deprivation? If you love carbs (like fruit!) and try Atkins, you'll feel miserable and fail. Take a more reasonable, moderate approach and you'll be more likely to succeed.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The more restrictive a diet plan, the harder it is for many people to stick to it. The key is to find a plan that you could stick to for the rest of your life. This means the weight loss and the maintenance phases. Are you going to be able to maintain this routine when you get to your goal weight?
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It personally worked for me, but short term. I found myself craving foods that were off limits all the time despite the fast that there are low carb breads, MIN, pasta, etc that you can eat. My cholesterol and triglycerides sky-rocketed. Dr placed me in the prediabetic category after following a low carb diet (sounds counter-intuitive, I know). I had the hardest time adding carbs into my diet. It took about 6-8 months to be honest. I was so scared. My doctor believes in following a natural holistic way of healing. Instead of putting me on meds for the conditions mentioned above, she told me to give up dairy and gluten. I did. I eat everything now (minus gluten and dairy), and I don't crave anything. I have clear mind, my body feels great, nothing aches anymore. The weight is falling off me!

Try Atkins for a month and see how it works for you. If it doesn't, try something else.... and keep trying till you find what works for you. You and I are different. What works for me, may not work for you. Same goes for everyone else on this site. Good luck!
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Options
    Atkins can cause kidney failure and diverticulitis. Just follow the if it fits your macros (IIFYM), aka calorie counting, approach that myfitnesspal is based on.

Where do you come up with this? If you're going to make stuff up, just say "I don't know what I'm talking about" first.

Explain to me how avoiding excess carbs causes kidney failure.
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My daughter did it 5 years ago and had great success, lost 65 pounds! And guess what!?!?!? She has kept it OFF! every last pound. She still follows a lower carb diet too! Good luck!
    I feel excess carbs are horrible for us! I'm not big on some of the process foods that Atkins a allows but feel low carb is much healthier then eating large amounts of carbs!!!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options

Where do you come up with this nonsense? If you're going to make stuff up, just say "I don't know what I'm talking about" first.

Explain to me how avoiding excess carbs causes kidney failure. Complete garbage.

Well that was rude.
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Options

Where do you come up with this nonsense? If you're going to make stuff up, just say "I don't know what I'm talking about" first.

Explain to me how avoiding excess carbs causes kidney failure. Complete garbage.

Well that was rude.

Not rude in the least. OP wanted info on Atkins and not some dangerous misinformation about kidney damage.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst your bubble, Einstein:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20030317/high-protein-diets-can-hurt-kidneys

Many people who do Atkins end up consuming way too much protein. High protein diets can cause many kidney problems. And, I personally know someone who developed diverticulitis due to being on Atkins for several years.

• Edmond_Dantes
    Options
    While it is true that if you have kidney problems, you want to avoid excess protein, that is different from saying protein leads to decreased renal function.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Nobody said it led to it cut and dry. The word *can* was used. Just like saying smoking can cause lung cancer but it doesn't mean it happens 10/10 times. The article you posted fails to mention that millions of Americans do have decreased kidney function already (unbeknownst to them) and put themselves at risk for renal issues due to high protein diets.
  • Christieherron8307
    Christieherron8307 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help, I'll make sure to keep lots of greens in my food. But I think I'm going to give I it a try for a month and see how I do.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I love Atkins! It works well for me and it's very easy for me to follow. For me, it gives me alot of energy and it helps me with the cravings.

I don't know about long term. I've been reading up on it. I've been on it for 2 months and no issues so far.