How much protein?!?

Options
Are you really supposed to get 1 gram of protein per pound of body mass? That's 126 grams for me. I find that number basically unreachable. I know I could do better getting more protein in, and I should try, but honestly that number seems really high. I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat very much meat out of habit (was one for 7 years). I love seafood, however. But I have no clue how to cook it. And I hate cooking in general.

On the other hand, MFP says I should get 60 grams. I find that more doable. Is it enough? I don't want to loose too much of my muscle.

Also, is protein from a supplement as biologically available? Would drinking a protein shake everyday be as good as eating it? Any recommendations on brands, or tips on how to get more protein in easily. I've only been logging for a couple days but my diary is open if you want to take a look.

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    The recommended is around 1 gram per lbs of lean body mass while dieting, so maybe around 100 grams give or take since you are trying to lose weight at the moment (less needed per lbs if you are bulking). There are reasons for the suggested increase while dieting including muscle sparing, satiety, greater thermic effect, etc... (You can easily find many postings on the forums here in the form of stickies discussing the matter in depth).

If you are having issue meeting the daily requirement, then protein supplementation is fine. Protein powder in the form of whey protein, which is the most prevelant you'll tend to see, is just modified dried milk, so nothing to worry about and typically one serving scoop will give you anywhere from 20-25g on average. I personally like product from Optimum Nutrition, MusclePharm, and Syntrax...but it's all about a matter of personal taste.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are doing.

If you are lifting weights, and in a caloric deficit, then you should try to hit 1.0 gr / pound of body weight....

If not, you can prolly do 0.6 gr - 0.8 gr / pound of body weight and be fine.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are doing.

If you are lifting weights, and in a caloric deficit, then you should try to hit 1.0 gr / pound of body weight....

If not, you can prolly do 0.6 gr - 0.8 gr / pound of body weight and be fine.

Even weight lifting, there's no benefit in getting any more than 0.82g of protein per lb of body weight
  • MityMax96
    Options
    maybe not....

But I like to be better safe than sorry. :laugh: :laugh:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    maybe not....

True, there's definitely no harm in getting extra protein haha
  • annabeld123
    annabeld123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find it really difficult to eat enough protein just from foods as they tend to keep you fuller for longer. I've started having one shake a day to help me reach my protein target. I use whey isolate 90 from theproteinworks.com. It's low cal and carb but has about 23g of protein so is perfect for anyone trying to build lean muscle and reduce body fat. They have loads of flavours to choose from, as well as a natural non flavoured one. I have the vanilla creme and banana smooth and have just ordered Jaffa cake flavour.They are really reasonably priced and compared to other shakes I have tried, are easy on the stomach. I have a referral code which will get you a free 250g bag of protein (flavour of your choice) if you spend over £10. Just enter it at the checkout under referral code and it will ask you to choose your free protein. Code is AD51676.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    maybe not....

There is scientific evidence that too much protein can lead to liver troubles.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    http://www.jissn.com/content/11/1/19

For those who are interested in scientific literature on the subject may find the above hotlink of interest.

OP its important that you mix up your protein sources each day, as different sources release protein into your system at different paces. Whey for example, I remember reading, starts getting into your system within 20 mins. While Casein releases around 7 hr if memory serves me right. So for my protein drinks I mix the two together. Before weight lifting, I mix 2/3 whey and 1/3 casein, while at night before bed, I do 2/3 casein and 1/3 whey.

Remember to eat a variety of chicken, beef, pork, lamb, turkey, eggs and milk as well.

Good Luck.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Could you link to it please?

So far I've not seen anything supporting this apart from in cases where people have pre-existing issues.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    http://www.jissn.com/content/11/1/19

For those who are interested in scientific literature on the subject may find the above hotlink of interest.

OP its important that you mix up your protein sources each day, as different sources release protein into your system at different paces. Whey for example, I remember reading, starts getting into your system within 20 mins. While Casein releases around 7 hr if memory serves me right. So for my protein drinks I mix the two together. Before weight lifting, I mix 2/3 whey and 1/3 casein, while at night before bed, I do 2/3 casein and 1/3 whey.

Remember to eat a variety of chicken, beef, pork, lamb, turkey, eggs and milk as well.

Good Luck.

Yes, that's pretty much been de-bunked as they did the same type of test in isolation that researchers also did some time back with carbs to come up with the glycemic index. The problem is, anytime there are any other macronutrients involved, even if it was a few hours prior, the absorption rates between the two are basically the same. If you are in a fasted state and are getting 100% protein with no fat and no carbs, then the absorption rates would differ between whey and casein, but how often does this perfect scenario happen? :smile:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/what-are-good-sources-of-protein-speed-of-digestion-part-2.html
  • MityMax96
    Options
    maybe not....

There is also scientific evidence that we ain't getting out of this life alive....
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    .82g per lb.

1g per lb for a cut for satiety reasions
  • Arsenal1919
    Arsenal1919 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Grill/Broil seafood.

OR

Maybe dry fry in a fast stirred stir fry of veges and seafood.
    Do you like rice? Precook some (preferably long grain whole grains) and dry fry a half cup full with seafood as you constant stir it over medium-high heat.
  • Arsenal1919
    Arsenal1919 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Great research article. Great for anyone pondering the possibilities.

Thanks for posting.