how can I eat 1200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• lasondraperrygraham1
    Options
    Why are you having problems reaching it? Is it because you are focusing on foods like lots of fruits, veggies and lean meats that are lower calorie? Or are you mentally restricting and not even aware?

I had problems when I FIRST started and it was because of changing my eating completely - from eating out 2 - 3 times a day to eating actual food I prepared that was filling.

Eat some calorie dense foods, nuts (if you aren't allergic), nut butters, avocados, full fat dressings, cook with some olive oil etc. You don't have to eat a lot of those foods to bump your calories up and eventually you will have no issues at all.

Yes that is my problem I eat a lot of veggies chicken and fish usually I just diet and not worry about the rest this is very new to me

I get that, I really do. It took me a while to get there but once I figured out that I could still have some of the things I love that were more calorie dense and less filing it was easy. I add nuts and dried cranberries to salads for lunch and it bumps the calories up pretty quick. I am sure you will get there :)

Thanks
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    It's Easy, you put food in your mouth, chew, swallow, and repeat
    I am not stupid so do not post stupid comments on my page if you feel the need to be a smart *kitten* then go do it somewhere else thank you

You might want to learn to calm down and let thing slide if you intend to survive the internet.

^^^ this made me lol all the comments
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I've been at a 1200 calories a day goal for over 90 days now. It's not that difficult to do (except cutting down/out the alcohol!) if you are careful to reach the individual targets in each nutrition category. For me that means making sure I get enough fats and protein to satiate me, so I'm not just hungry all day long. I try to always have a protein-fat-calcium heavy breakfast, unless I know I'm going to be eating a large protein-fat heavy lunch. Of course I add calories by exercising, and "eat back" those calories while still eating at a deficit (most days - lol). Feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like to view my diaries for examples of foods and recipes that can fit the admittedly-restrictive-1200-calorie goal.
  • lasondraperrygraham1
    Options
    I've been at a 1200 calories a day goal for over 90 days now. It's not that difficult to do (except cutting down/out the alcohol!) if you are careful to reach the individual targets in each nutrition category. For me that means making sure I get enough fats and protein to satiate me, so I'm not just hungry all day long. I try to always have a protein-fat-calcium heavy breakfast, unless I know I'm going to be eating a large protein-fat heavy lunch. Of course I add calories by exercising, and "eat back" those calories while still eating at a deficit (most days - lol). Feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like to view my diaries for examples of foods and recipes that can fit the admittedly-restrictive-1200-calorie goal.

Thanks I will be sure to do that
  • slperryer
    slperryer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi there, first of all, good luck on your diet, it sounds really tough!

Whilst eating 1200 calories in a day is really tough, you also really need to make sure you're eating more than your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). If you don't, your body will go into starvation mode, and store a large majority of the calories you are eating as fat - meaning you can actually end up looking chunkier!

It's also quite difficult to get an adequate amount of protein and essential nutrients on such a small calorie intake. I would encourage you to up your calorie intake to your BMR or above, and make sure you're eating plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, as well as lean proteins, to nourish your body in the best way possible.

Here is a really useful BMR calculator: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Good luck on your fitness journey!
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give is plan ahead and be realistic about what 1200 Calories per day affords you!

Find low-calorie foods that you enjoy and incorporate them into a meal with a smaller portion of high calorie foods included. Consider lowering your overall portion sizes and drink plenty throughout the day!

I have mostly been on the 1200 plan since I started MFP back in December last year and it has been great. Then again, I am short and do not need the energy of a taller person :D

Good Luck,

Kaela x
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    My fitness pal says I should be on a 1200 cals a day diet too. Things that I found helpful for me:

1. Cook for yourself. Always.
    2. Eat nutrient dense food--mostly whole foods rather than calorie dense foods. Keep processed foods to a minimum. This will take time to overcome but the point is to break from the junk food cycle and start to become full on real, low-calorie whole foods.
    3. Eat a mostly vegetarian diet (60-80% veggies/fruits!) and eat lots of it!
    4. Pair those fruits and veggies with fats to keep you full longer and for better nutrient absorption; fruits with cheese is yum. Veggies with nuts/oils but be sure to keep those nuts and oils to a minimum.
    5. Choose fish over chicken, chicken over red meats.
    6. Eat small portions according to the calories; keep doing this so your stomach and mind starts to adjust to your new lifestyle.
    7. Cut out sugary drinks. Drink lots of water; all day. If you feel hungry, drink more water!!
    8. Exercise to create a deficit which allows you to eat more. :D
    9. Plan, plan, plan. Look up how many calories in your food before you eat it. Aim to spread your calories throughout the day. ie. 400 for breakfast, 400 for lunch, 400 for dinner. Likewise you can subtract/add snacks accordingly.
    10. Don't stress too much. Going over a little isn't that bad...
    11. For fun, just before you shower in the bathroom everyday, do 50-100 squats to burn off a bit of calories and build a bit of leg muscle. Then go have a tiny treat. :D:D

I usually stay between the 1100-1400 range. A little more, a little less but still, I'm seeing results already. And, although 1200 is not a lot, I still get enough of all my nutrients for the week. My food diary is open for you to see. ;)
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1360, but often have lower, unintentionally. Today for example I had scrambled egg with feta for breakfast, baked sweet potato tuna and cheese for lunch and chicken rice and green beans for dinner, with snacks of a oats bar, strawberries and a banana :)
  • Gessy90
    Gessy90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can help u just contact me
  • Soufre
    Soufre Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I can hit 1200 calories by lunch. but focus on nutrient dense foods, not the foods that have the lowest calories

I had nearly 1200 for lunch today!

And your point is...?
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    You would get more useful advice if you were to open your diary for others to see.

You can offer "helpful" advise regardless of them opening up their food diary.
    For every 3500 calories is 1 LB...so if youre trying to lose weight you will need that much of a weekly deficit!
    I will share some ideas with you on foods Ive "traded" out & then you do it your way on what works for you.
    Good luck!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It's Easy, you put food in your mouth, chew, swallow, and repeat
    I am not stupid so do not post stupid comments on my page if you feel the need to be a smart *kitten* then go do it somewhere else thank you
    You know, I don't think that poster was trying to be a smarty, but simply demonstrating how easy it really is to reach your food goals. Also, I'd like to add that we, meaning those of us who are losing weight or have lost weight, got fat putting well over 1200 calories in our mouths without a second thought. I think the secret to meeting the goals while trying to lose weight is not cutting out anything you normally eat, but learning about portion control and moderation. Of course, we all end up making sacrifices when trying to lose weight, but that does not mean you can't meet your calorie goals with everyday food.

What kind of foods do you like to eat? Is it possible to just eat normally and cut down on portions?
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    As someone has said before "There is always room for ice cream". :smile:
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is around 1250 a day. My strategy (if I can call it that) is to spread my calories throughout the day, around 2.5-3 hours apart- approx. 6 times a day (breakfast, am snack, lunch, pm snack, dinner and after dinner snack) with approx. 200-215 per meal with the late snack under 100 calories. This helps prevents sugar spikes and because I eat more frequent, I don't feel the urge to binge. Also, I eat mostly protein for my breakfast (eggs, protein shake, yogurt) and AM snack (cheese sticks, nuts). I find if I eat carbs early in the day, I tend to crave more carbs and sugar later. I have carbs (veggies, whole grains, fruits) with protein at Lunch and onwards.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I can hit 1200 calories by lunch. but focus on nutrient dense foods, not the foods that have the lowest calories

I had nearly 1200 for lunch today!

I eat 1200 for dinner pretty much every day.
  • NotJustADieter
    NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    This thread hit a nerve with me, so here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/cjholla/view/nutrition-calories-rant-662876

I did a pretty in depth rant covering calories, including a link.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You would get more useful advice if you were to open your diary for others to see.

For every 3500 calories is 1 LB...so if youre trying to lose weight you will need that much of a weekly deficit!
    I will share some ideas with you on foods Ive "traded" out & then you do it your way on what works for you.
    Good luck!!

Well, actually, most of us who have been on here and have had long term success can take a quick look at a diary and see how someone is logging, how their macros are set, their sodium levels, etc. and offer useful advice fairly quickly. Much more quickly than asking all those question back and forth over a forum like this. Sure, we can offer "helpful", generic advice, or we could be a little more interested in helping someone at their individual level. We assume since someone is posting a question, they would appreciate something a little more detailed.

As to the 3500 calories equals a pound thing, please read this, especially down near the bottom of the first post where she talks about how large a deficit is really needed for sustainable weight loss:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    my issue is the macros, 1200 is easy, but jeez when im done my protein or carbs by 1200 im screwed.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

Good luck!!

Well, actually, most of us who have been on here and have had long term success can take a quick look at a diary and see how someone is logging, how their macros are set, their sodium levels, etc. and offer useful advice fairly quickly. Much more quickly than asking all those question back and forth over a forum like this. Sure, we can offer "helpful", generic advice, or we could be a little more interested in helping someone at their individual level. We assume since someone is posting a question, they would appreciate something a little more detailed.

As to the 3500 calories equals a pound thing, please read this, especially down near the bottom of the first post where she talks about how large a deficit is really needed for sustainable weight loss:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Nope...I just sent them several suggestions without asking to see their personal food diary, what they do with that info is now up to them!
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Try eating 4500~ a day.

Most of my meals are more than 1200 calories, lmfao.