Why is gaining weight so much easier than losing it?

Options
albayin
albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
Of course I mean those of us who can easily put on a few pounds within weeks, not those who struggle to put on weight no matter what they eat and do...

I can easily put on a few pounds within weeks, but losing it within weeks...mission impossible. Am I really wired differently?

I got that patience thing and the motto of the forum "you didn't put on the weight overnight so don't expect to lose it over night" but really? what's the difference? why am I the unlucky kid on the block? :huh:

Replies

• defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It's simple - there's a practical limit on how big a calorie deficit you can make per day. Even if you ate nothing and worked out the max I could see would be about a 3000 calorie deficit and at that rate you'd make it maybe a few days before collapsing. Even for dedicated dieters, the max sustainable deficit is usually around 1000 a day and that's only if you're very overweight.

On the other hand, it's pretty easy to maintain a 3000 calorie surplus just by adding tons of fat and butter to everything, having second helpings, having desserts and snacking throughout the day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Because the body is much more efficient at storing energy than depleting it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    It's simple - there's a practical limit on how big a calorie deficit you can make per day. Even if you ate nothing and worked out the max I could see would be about a 3000 calorie deficit and at that rate you'd make it maybe a few days before collapsing. Even for dedicated dieters, the max sustainable deficit is usually around 1000 a day and that's only if you're very overweight.

On the other hand, it's pretty easy to maintain a 3000 calorie surplus just by adding tons of fat and butter to everything, having second helpings, having desserts and snacking throughout the day.

Life is so unfair, isn't it? *sigh*
  • AlyRuth94
    AlyRuth94 Posts: 11
    Options
    It's kind of the way the body is wired. It was beneficial back when cavemen could find a lot to eat in Spring, and next to nothing in Winter. Gotta put on a lot of weight quickly so you can expend it slowly when you need it.

Plus, empty calories are hidden in everything. It so easy to mindlessly slather two tablespoons of butter on a slice of toast, and it's not going to make you any fuller. That's an extra 120 calories, too. When you're not paying attention to what you're eating, it's easy to eat a surplus of 1000+ calories in a day. A single dish at TGI Fridays adds up to around 1500 calories. That's my entire caloric budget (and more) in one meal. Add on a hearty southern breakfast and a Wendy's cheeseburger for lunch, and I'm easily going 1000 calories over my daily expenditure (BMR ~1750).

So it only takes a short amount of time to add on a pound. (It would only take about three days to add on one pound in this case.) In reverse, it's really hard to eat at a 1000 calorie deficit instead of a surplus. I would have to eat about 700 calories daily to see the same in reverse. That's not even half an entree at TGI Friday's. AND it doesn't help that my metabolism would likely slow down eating 700 calories every day.

So yeah... you can only maintain so large a deficit, but it's really, really easy to create a huge caloric surplus.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Because the body is much more efficient at storing energy than depleting it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

You're designed to survive famine. It's actually a good thing.
  • nentecular
    nentecular Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Because eating nice food is so much fun!