Running my first half marathon

Options
Hey folks,
I'll be running my first half marathon on Sunday and I wanted to ask for any advice/tips regarding hydration and food.
I need to drink my coffee but apart from that should I have breakfast? If so what type of food is adviceable. Fruits (banana), eggs?
I have also read about gels to eat/drink during the race. What are those? What time should I take it? Before the race, every hour, every half an hour?

Sorry for the stupid questions and thanks a lot for your help
Cheers

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Gel blocks for the race, easy to carry and easy to access; check the course for water and/or gatorade markers. Depending on the size and location plan to leave earlier then you think. Breakfast, oatmeal, a piece of fruit, and some honey(but that is just me). I started doing these things leading up to 10k's, makes it easier to pre-plan so you can focus on having fun. Best of luck.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you do what you do before your long runs, or as close to it as you can.

When I run the half events, I usually have a breakfast around 5:30 am (due to time it takes to get me from house to event start), for an 8:30 gun. I go for eggs, toast and almonds with my coffee. I bring an apple to eat on the way and water to drink.

I make sure I have a pit stop about 30 mins before the start.

During the race, I get water or electrolyte beverage at every station, and I have a gummy chewy thing around mile 9 or so.

So far, it's worked for me.
  • rlinaresv
    rlinaresv Posts: 108
    Options
    Thank you guys,

I've been running since early 2013 and ran few 5K and 10K races. Ussually I have my coffee and a banana half an hour before the gun. Last week I ran 20 km and it felt good but after finish it (10-15 min) I felt really weak. I did not eat anything before running so I'm guessing that's why.

Thanks a lot
    Cheers
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been training with gels don't take them during your race.....nothing like a gastrointestinal surprise as you hit mile 10 (same rule goes for sports drinks, if you haven't trained with it don't consume it on race day)

Hydration starts in the days leading up to the race, don't overdo it but drink small amounts of water regularly throughout the day leading up the race.

Nutrition.....cut back a bit on the fibre the day before the race but otherwise eat foods that you're accustomed to (my favourite pre-race dinner is a big plate of spaghetti with my home made meat sauce the night before a race. Personally I have breakfast the day of a race (I like to eat at least 2 or 3 hours before the gun goes off) and my typical breakfast is coffee, a banana, yogurt and toast & peanut butter or a bagel with cream cheese (heavy on carbs, not too much protein and not too much fibre), again.....stick with foods you're accustomed to.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    race like you've been training. don't try anything new on race day.

this can be a little difficult on race day, as you'll undoubtedly have to travel to the race start and run later or earlier than usual. make an educated guess.
  • rlinaresv
    Options
    Thanks you guys. I'll follow your advices for sure
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first half yesterday... and it was amazing!!

My suggestion is to not consume anything on the day of the race that you haven't trained with. Eat the same breakfast you would eat the morning of your long run.

If you haven't trained gels or blocks on your long runs, skip them for the race. I tried cliff blocks and honey zingers. The cliff blocks required me to down about a liter of water just to get them in my belly then they and the water sloshed around for the rest of my run.. so gross. The honey zingers worked better for me. So I carried them and ate some at mile 5 with the plan for more at 9 or 10. But I skipped the second set, in hind sight, I wish I hadn't.

If you know what the electorlyte beverage is that they will offer at the water stations you could test that out. I went with just water because it wasn't until the mile 9 water station that they had the same flavor I was used to. I don't know if that really would have made a difference, but I wasn't about to chance it.

Our race had water and gatorade every 2 miles. I trained that way.... only drinking what I thought I would get down every two miles... I opted not to carry water with me, but that is always an option as well.

Hydrate well the day before especially if you have any tendency toward not getting enough fluids in the course of a normal day.

Come up with a race plan--- should be to race like you have been training, and run your plan. Don't get caught up in the excitement, especially for the first 5-10K, it will be easy to do. I realized at mile 2 that I wasn't racing how I had planned, and immediately changed that and ended up finished about 23 minutes faster than I honestly had a chance at.

Good luck and may the wind be at your back!
  • running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    * Definitely have breakfast about 2-3 hours before the race. Maybe some oatmeal with a banana and a tbsp of peanut butter.

* Hydrate well DAYS before the race. Also make sure you get enough sleep the nights leading up to the race - so in case you don't sleep that well the night before, it won't be as relevant.

* If you do have breakfast, I'm not even sure if you need to refuel during the run. 13.1 miles isn't a distance where you absolutely HAVE to refuel while you run. At least I know I don't. But do drink a couple of sips of water at some of the aid-stations.

* Note on the big pre-race pasta dinner: big, yes, pasta, yes - but preferably have that huge meal around lunchtime, or as an early dinner. You don't want your body too busy during the night trying to process those carbs. I'd start carbo-loading a couple of days before the race anyways.

ENJOY! You will absolutely love that feeling when you cross the finish line.
  • rlinaresv
    Options
    Wow,
    Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm really scared to be honest but I know I'll do it. My goal is just being able to finish it. If I can do it in 2:30 hours I'll be happy. If I can do it in 2:20 hrs I'll be shocked lol.

Seriously thanks a bunch
    Cheers
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add except good wishes. I hope you have an awesome run.
  • Amy101975
    Amy101975 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I won't repeat the amazing tips offered above but wanted to wish you a great race! I ran my first two half-marathons just this year and I know the pre-race jitters all too well! Look at your first like another long practice run, enjoy the moments! The group and adrenaline will "push" you to the finish line. It will be so much fun!
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you :happy:
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I did my first half on Sunday, I travelled for it so I didn't have the usual banana, oatmeal/greek yoghurt breakfast I normally would. I carried water with me and sipped it mostly except at the water stations where I had a bit more, I have never tried the gels but they were handing them out about mile 9 so I tried a mouthful (in my opinion they are disgusting). I had a sports drink afterwards and some crisps to replace electrolytes and salt.

To echo other advice don't do anything massively different, get a good dinner and a good night's sleep, plan to arrive early so you don't have the added time pressure worry/anxiety.

Above all have fun! It is an incredible feeling to cross the finish line and such a buzz when everyone is cheering you on.

Best of luck :smile:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If you haven't tried any gels during your training, then honestly do not use them. I honestly would use the Nuun or electrolyte drinks that will be at the aid stations over the gels. The gels can be a big shock to your GI if you aren't used to them.

If you have any areas on your feet that are prone to blisters, I would reenforce the area with moleskin.

After the race, keep walking for 15-30 minutes and then stretch really, really good. Do not forget to stretch...you will regret it later if you do forget.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    A bit late in the game to be asking what to do during your race... do what worked for your training, and learn from your successes and failures.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hey folks,
    I'll be running my first half marathon on Sunday and I wanted to ask for any advice/tips regarding hydration and food.
    I need to drink my coffee but apart from that should I have breakfast? If so what type of food is adviceable. Fruits (banana), eggs?
    I have also read about gels to eat/drink during the race. What are those? What time should I take it? Before the race, every hour, every half an hour?

Sorry for the stupid questions and thanks a lot for your help
    Cheers
    This advice will be too late but may help others.
    GELS: I would only advices to use them during the race if you have used them in traing. YOu never know how you will react and some love them (I do) and some hate them.

I always have a big peanut butter/honey sandwich 2 hours before all the races. On the race route I will drink something at most of the spots and have a gel ever 4 miles or so. I always map out before the race where to expect them.

For HM I always had pasta TWO days prior to the race.

And, um, to get things moving along in the bathroom department I have either a coffee or something of the sort that makes me go within 30 minutes!!!

The night before I always had some anxiety, and would have a 24 oz coors light the night before to put me to sleep.....

Hope you had fun