High protein breakfast ideas (under 350 cals)

Options
blueboxgeek
blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
What are your favourite breakfast recipies that are high in protein but pretty low in calories? Just because of how I like to use my calories through the day, I tend to try and stick to around 350 cals at breakfasts.

I sometimes have cheesy scrambled egg or a veggie fritatta but getting a bit bored. Would love some new ideas please.

Replies

• tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I make an egg sandwich...one egg and a little cheese on low cal toast. Sometimes I add a bit of ham.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Boiled or pickled eggs with mustard/hotsauce. Pre-cooked bacon or sausage. Beef or any type of jerky or meat snack stick. Those are not too interesting but it helps me to keep my food boring and convenient.
  • luckygirl51
    luckygirl51 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A cup of non-fat Greek yogurt, granola, fruit and honey. Yummy and depending on the granola, over 25 grams of protein!
  • blueboxgeek
    Options
    Some great ideas, thank you :)
  • mytabouly
    mytabouly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Around 100 grams of quark, 100-150grams of berries (any will work), a dash of vanilla and 1 tbsp of coconut. Quark is the protein source, and it feels like I'm eating dessert for breakfast!
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    2 strips of bacon
    1 egg
    and toast

Keeps me full to lunch. I think the "fat:" calories help!!!
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, lowfat vanilla greek yogurt, and fresh strawberry parfait. Mmmmm. I warm up the quinoa in a pan with a little stevia and cinnamon. It's bomb. My picky toddler approves, too!
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Smoothly with whey protein powder, unsweetened almond milk, pb2 and frozen blueberries. Add some ice if you need thicker. I sweeten with stevia extract or add a ripe banana. Keeps me full for a really long time.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Check my diary for specifics. I have been eating pretty much the same thing every day for the past 2 years. I adjust the amount to fit my current goal. Right now it's 372 calories 52 carb 4 fat with 35g of protein. I've never found a higher protein breakfast for the equivalent calories.

Mix Greek yogurt and protein powder, and either add it to cooked oatmeal and fruit or raw oats and fruit (for overnight oats) you can do either ;)
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Delicious ideas for breakfast! Any other sources of protein apart from meat and eggs and soy? These are my staples for breakfast but would like to try vegan or non-dairy protein sources sometimes just to mix it up a bit but don't know any. Thank you for any suggestions you can give.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese or low fat greek yogurt with berries, hard-boiled eggs, smoothies.
  • AeiriMuse
    AeiriMuse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend tends to make me breakfast every morning now, but lately he discovered ground turkey breast... Oh my goodness it makes a delicious burger patty.

He mixes peppers into the meat with the spices and 1 lb of the ground meat makes 6 patties at around 81 calories each.

That coupled with low cal bread, a touch of lite mayo, a slice of cheese (my favorite is muenster) and an egg makes for an eye rolling delicious treat that is filling and protein/fiber packed. :)

Other times, he makes me eggs with a sliced fruit on the side.

I've made smoothies out of some fruit, yogurt, protein powder and a touch of milk.

Have you ever thought of mixing pineapple with turkey bacon on your eggs and cheese? Added punch of flavor with the protein and fiber. :)
  • Mini_horse_lover
    Mini_horse_lover Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Porridge is pretty high protein.
    Or you could make a smoothie with protein powder.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is high in protein - use it like oatmeal or cream of wheat.
    Greek yogurt with some fruit & maybe a splash of stevia.
    Use soft or medium tofu, scramble & heat it in a pan with turmeric, treat it like scrambled eggs.
    Cottage cheese with fruit.
    Leftover steak from last night's grilling, sliced, and rolled in a burrito with some veggies, cheese, and salsa.

I usually have 12 oz of 2% milk and a serving of Carnation instant breakfast powder.
    That's 310 calories with 17g protein.
    I also stir in a couple T of malted milk powder & have a banana, which is another 160 cal & 2g protein.
    It's 10g of fat, which could be considerably lowered by using skim milk, but I find that the fat helps control hunger.
    I really don't like eating breakfast, so this is something easy and relatively healthy.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Delicious ideas for breakfast! Any other sources of protein apart from meat and eggs and soy? These are my staples for breakfast but would like to try vegan or non-dairy protein sources sometimes just to mix it up a bit but don't know any. Thank you for any suggestions you can give.

Beans & Quinoa are both good sources of protein. Also nuts and nut butters, if you're not allergic.
  • amethyst70
    amethyst70 Posts: 68
    Options
    I precook quinoa, 7 grain hot cereal and muesli all from Bob's Red Mill. I do this on Sundays usually and portion out 1 serving of each in to small containers, and the Quinoa I portion out 1/2 servings and stick in the fridge.
    The Quinoa doesn't spike my sugar rollercoaster as much.

Then Hubby and I both grab from these for breakfast through the week.

I usually have
    1/4 greek plain yogurt
    2 tbs of choc PB2
    1 scoop Body Fortress Isolate Protein powder

Stir the above ingredients together with a splash of unsweetened almond milk.
    Add one of the 3 ( 7 grain, muesli or quinoa).
    Eat cold or hot.
    I usually warm in microwave

Made with Quinoa it comes out to

1/4 yogurt, 32 cal 2.25 carbs 5.75 protein
    2 Tbs pb2 45 cal 6 carbs 4.00 protein
    Isolate 130 cal 1 carbs 30 protein
    Quinoa 90 cal 15 carbs 3.5 protein
    43.25 protein

I like the versatility of this, and if I want something more heavy I use the 7 grain or muesli. All 3 keep me full for quite awhile, and I am having pretty good success with the quinoa mixture. Eat it cold it is like tapioca, eat it warm it is like hot cereal. Of course you can throw in other flavors, berries, etc and on occasion I use a splash of Almond milk to make it thinner consistency.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    In for ideas... although for me 8g of protein for 150 calories isn't 'high in protein'.

To be honest, the only thing that's filled me up for 5 hours for 350 calories in a while is protein cheesecake or protein pancakes

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/991227-ultimate-protein-pancakes-omg?hl=pancake
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/461619-ny-cheesecake-morph

But I use a whole egg for the pancakes and often add fruit so it's closer to 400 calories (it makes 7 or 8 though, so it's a huge serving) for 40ish grams of protein, but the cheesecake is about 200-330 calories for 1/4 (I use half low fat cheese so it increases it some) and 25g of protein. I made another one for tomorrow actually.

Other ideas

Plain greek yogurt with fruit and/or granola (or PB2 or plain really, whatever you like)
    Oatmeal with protein powder
    Oatmeal cooked with milk and an egg (24ish protein for 350 calories, although it's better with some maple syrup and vanilla too)
    Overnight oats if it's your thing (with milk/yogurt. I keep trying but nope... not my thing)
    Any kind of egg white omelet really - can add veggies, cheese, meat... My last combos were delicious and it was egg whites, one whole egg, smoked salmon, spinach and goat cheese for 330 calories and 39g of protein, and egg whites, onion, ham, broccoli, cheddar for 210 calories and 30g of protein - but neither filled me up that long, I need carbs on the side or something.
    Breakfast burritos for like 250 calories and 20g of protein
    I like crepes with ham, cheese and egg too. Or ham and cheese melted on toast with a fried egg.

And there's always last night's leftovers. I had some chicken burritos for breakfast lately (with cheese, refried beans and salsa).
  • blueboxgeek
    Options
    These are all awesome ideas! Thank you so much everyone :)

Can't wait to get shopping and try some of these out!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oh and protein shakes too obviously... I like using fat free ricotta to make it thicker and add some protein.
  • Myveganwellies
    Myveganwellies Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    scrambled tofu - in a non-stick pan add chopped tomato and mushrooms (fresh chillies to taste) and a small sprinkly of tumeric and nutritional yeast. Add in the chopped tofu and warm through - serve on a nice piece of seeded bread spread with some tofuti (vegan cream cheese) - delicious