Too much weight loss to fast

Options
Hello,

I started my first ever try at weight loss on May 1st because I had crossed the 300lb mark which made me say enough is enough.

I was drinking about 24-30 cans of sugared soda each week, I was also drinking 2 gallons of 1% milk and had almost zero exercise. I also ate a lot of fast food and junk food all day. Oh yeah I also drank very little to no pure water.

So I have given up the soda,milk, and junk food. I am eating about 1800-2000 calories per day, drinking lots of water and walking about 5 miles every day. In less than 30 days I have dropped 20 pounds or 4 to 5 pounds per week. I have read you're not suppose to lose more than 2 pounds per week. Is it alright that I am dropping pounds faster?

Thanks for any comments

Replies

• kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    1-2 pounds a week is a great rule of thumb for people who are not that overweight or have less to lose. 300 pounds is very overweight, the weight is supposed to come off much faster when you're that big. I wouldn't worry about it. You're eating enough, 1,800 to 2000 calories a day is a sustainable and healthy goal. Keep at it and best of luck!
  • amysgottadothisthang
    amysgottadothisthang Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    BRAVO! Great job! You are off to an amazing start!!!!!
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I started my first ever try at weight loss on May 1st because I had crossed the 300lb mark which made me say enough is enough.

I was drinking about 24-30 cans of sugared soda each week, I was also drinking 2 gallons of 1% milk and had almost zero exercise. I also ate a lot of fast food and junk food all day. Oh yeah I also drank very little to no pure water.

So I have given up the soda,milk, and junk food. I am eating about 1800-2000 calories per day, drinking lots of water and walking about 5 miles every day. In less than 30 days I have dropped 20 pounds or 4 to 5 pounds per week. I have read you're not suppose to lose more than 2 pounds per week. Is it alright that I am dropping pounds faster?

Thanks for any comments

Wowser bowser!

Good work brah!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    When initially losing weight, you'll lose a lot of water weight. Additionally, given your size, it is expected that weight loss would start off rather quickly.

Keep it up.
  • cbbn11
    cbbn11 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I used to drink the same amount (if not more) pop a week. When I first stopped drinking the pop I had a migraine headache for about 3 days as I was going through caffeine withdraws as I don't drink coffee or tea. But once the headaches where gone I lost 20 lbs just with that. Keep up the good work.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    I used to drink the same amount (if not more) pop a week. When I first stopped drinking the pop I had a migraine headache for about 3 days as I was going through caffeine withdraws as I don't drink coffee or tea. But once the headaches where gone I lost 20 lbs just with that. Keep up the good work.

da faq is a pop?!
  • Jason_0473
    Jason_0473 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for all the great comments. Getting off to a fast start was the best thing that could have happened since now I feel like I will stick with it to the end. I want to start running instead of walking but I think I need to get lighter first.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! It definitely comes of a lot faster when you have a lot to lose and as long as you're eating enough, you'll be fine. Just don't freak out when it slows down the track!!
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    So I'll just point out the obvious thing to be cautious of...

As you work harder and eat better the weight will end up coming off slower than 20 lbs a month most likely so you really need to make sure you focus on getting healthy and making good long term decision that are not entirely based on what the scale happens to say.

A lot of people lose a bunch at first, it slows down a lot and then they get demoralized and declare themselves "unable to lose weight".

So just make sure you stick with it even if the number goes up from time to time.
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

da faq is a pop?!

You're telling me you live in PA, but don't know what pop is? My relatives (and everyone) in Pittsburgh refer to it that way.
    In Texas, where I am, it's coke...no matter what kind it is. Ha!
  • JennyHollyHansen
    Options
    congrats Jason! Not everyone can do what you do. I think you will find that if you keep off the sugar you will continue to lose lots of weight. Each pound is 3,600 calories. Giving up pop for this last month has rid your body of 72,000 calories!

if your body is comfortable then I say to start running now. Your body will tell you everything you need to know. You just have to learn how to listen!
  • MrTolerable
    Options

da faq is a pop?!

You're telling me you live in PA, but don't know what pop is? My relatives (and everyone) in Pittsburgh refer to it that way.

umm.. yeah in the philly area we call soda - 'soda' .. not coke if its pepsi, and not pop.

learn something new everyday.
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options

da faq is a pop?!

umm.. yeah in the philly area we call soda - 'soda' .. not coke if its pepsi, and not pop.

Chicago in for 'pop'... though I find myself adjusting depending on with whom I'm having the conversation :drinker:

OP, you officially rock!
  • MrTolerable
    Options

da faq is a pop?!

Chicago in for 'pop'... though I find myself adjusting depending on with whom I'm having the conversation :drinker:

OP, you officially rock!

:drinker: enjoy your pop
  • BlueeyedKelly
    Options
    In England pop is any kind of fizzy drink :drinker:
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    In England pop is any kind of fizzy drink :drinker:

even tonic water?
  • BlueeyedKelly
    Options
    If it includes a gin why not!:drinker:
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it! It will probably start slowing down for you before too long - just be prepared for that.

(On the other topic - I'm from TX originally and can second it all being Coke. When I moved out of state, I got used to calling it soda as an adaptive switch.)
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Great job OP. Make sure you are eating at your calorie goal and feeling satisfied. Being a larger gentlemen you will lose a lot of weight initially just remember the long term goal is to focus on 1-2 lbs per week.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks for any comments

Job well done, and great wishes of success for you!