What to bring to the gym

Options
kristafb
kristafb Posts: 770 Member
Hi there, I am joining the local gym this week and I have never set foot in a gym before so I have no idea what I should bring with me. I'm assuming water bottle, but do I bring my own towels or are they supplied? and anything else you can all suggest would be helpful. Thanks

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Water bottle, towel, music and headphones are the essentials. Some gyms supply towels, but most I've gone to don't and expect you to supply your own.

ETA: if you've never gymmed before, as a matter of etiquette, don't wear heavy perfume :)
  • bareessentials
    Options
    I bring:
    - small towel
    - headphones
    - ipod/phone
    - drink bottle or two depending if they have water fountains there that you can fill it up at but most probably will
    - ipod/phone armband
    - light jersy/long sleve shirt for warm up and afterwards
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    All gyms tend top be different when it comes to what they supply. I would suggest a water bottle, towel, and hand sanitizer. I always have a gym bag in my car that has an extra set of work out clothes considering I've been that girl who had a crotch blowout in her leggings during a workout. :)
  • shanniem1
    shanniem1 Posts: 35
    Options
    I bring:
    Lock for locker
    Towel
    Water bottle
    Headphones
    Notebook to record workouts

It might be costly but I highly recommend a few personal training sessions to get you started. Good for you! Also check out Pinterest or Instagram for workout routines. I have had a gym membership for years but never committed to going until I had a trainer and now feel confident in what I'm doing! Have fun with it! Remember everyone is there for the same reason :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. A kick *kitten* attitude
    2. Everything else is optional
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    extra set of work out clothes considering I've been that girl who had a crotch blowout in her leggings during a workout. :)

:laugh: :laugh:
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    1. A kick *kitten* attitude
    2. Everything else is optional

+1 - Most gyms I've been to provide everything you need. You will figure out after your first visit if there's anything that would make future visits more comfortable for you. :)
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I take:

- Towel
    - Water bottle
    - Chalk
    - Music
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    first trip take these things and then you'll start to figure out the rest after a few times

water bottle
    towel
    lock for locker
    deodorant
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You'll soon learn what you need once you've been and forgotten something. Also you'll learn to improvise, like a couple of days ago I forgot to pack running socks and t-shirt. So used my day-to-day (looked very sexy) and the shirt I went to the gym in. Only time I get stumped is when I leave my shorts behind. Yup not improvising by running in my knickers. I wouldn't do that to my fellow gym members.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Definitely take a water bottle and a small hand towel. You might not need the hand towel as the gym might provide paper towels, but a lot of the "no frills" type of gyms don't and they might not let you in without your own sweat towel (my gym is quite strict about this).

You could take a padlock, but there will probably be vending machines there selling them if you can't get hold of them in time.

As for music/earphones, that's up to you whether you consider that's essential! Personally I can't stand wearing earphones when I'm working out, but that's just me.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Lots of great replies!! Thank you all!!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Agree with Dammitjanet about the earphones; the whole setup just seems to be in the way all the time, plus there's already music on at the gym (mine anyway) and I don't like conflicting music.
    I'd definitely bring a towel to be sure. And clean underwear if you sweat. :wink:
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Earphones and some kind of iPod or music player. I usually bring my own towel as well to wipe off the sweat from whatever equipment I use.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    have you not toured the gym yet? don't just walk in and say "i want to join." have them sell you. you might even be able to get a week or up to a month of a free trial membership. i recommend to do this with all your local gyms, kickboxing studios, martial arts dojos, etc etc. when i started, i did that and i think i worked out for free for about three months in different places, until i decided on one i liked.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The only thing I NEED for my gym workout- is my workout clothes, shoes and my note book.

I won't workout without those things.

headphones and music are a close second- but it's been done before.

water, towel all the other stuff is optional.
  • lishaalexis
    lishaalexis Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I bring the following to the gym,

Towel
    Iphone
    Bluetooth headphones
    water
    Motivation!

Most of that is optional, but i can't do jack without my music so for me it is a must to have music, and water, gotta have the water.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    When I first joined the gym they took me around and I had a little tour. If you have some time this week maybe pop in without your kit just for a wander around?

See what the shower facilities are like, my gym's shower room is feral so I don't shower there if I can help it. If you are going to shower there consider if you're taking face wash/shower gel/ shampoo/ conditioner/ moisturiser etc. or it any of that is provided. Again each gym is different so best to call or do a recce.

I take heaps of stuff that I don't use every time... just useful to have in my bag 'in case'. Water bottle is my only ESSENTIAL. But I also (always) take ipod/ weights gloves/ antibacterial wipes/ spare socks/ long sleeves.
  • gibbsedward
    gibbsedward Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I must be the only one who showers at the gym and goes to work after. For me:

Workout - workout clothes (I wear them in), HRM chest strap, phone and headset (phone both tracks workout and plays music).

Shower - My gym provides towels, shampoo and body wash but I always have a backup in my bag because they have run out before. Wash cloth, shower shoes, deodorant, etc.

Work clothes, shoes, socks, clean underwear, etc.

I bring my work clothes on a hanger and after I dress I hang my workout stuff on the same hanger and leave it in the car to dry while I'm at work.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest checking out the gym's website or call them for a list of basic rules. Some gyms don't allow you to wear street shoes into the workout areas as it brings in dirt which can ruin floor mats and cardio machines. That would also likely tell you if they provide towels.

I bring the following (change and shower as I workout midday)
    -footie socks & workout sneakers
    -water bottle
    -headbands
    -deodorant
    -towel, flip flops & soap in plastic bag
    -fresh undies to change into

If you need to shower there at all, you may want to also check to see if they provide soap/shampoo and if they provide hair dryers. Most places do but you never know.