Opinions on this

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
I'm sure I've eye rolled at this many times (eating food by adults in the store), but tonight irked me. So while shopping for groceries and bagging some black plums, a lady reaches into a bag of grapes, grabs a handful and proceeds to eat them...........................without bothering to take the bag of grapes!!!
It's not uncommon to see food eating by children in the store, but I'm now noticing more and more adults are doing the same, which is why maybe I'm seeing more wrappers for cheese, cereal bars, etc.
Did they pay for them? Who knows, but I'm betting they didn't. So why does it irk me? Because it directly affects the price we pay for our food.

Let's hear it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,762 Member
    Options
    I would have called that chick out. It's one thing if you have it in your cart and are going to pay for it. Pretty pathetic in my opinion.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it myself
  • LegendaryOrange
    LegendaryOrange Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    I really never see this (to such an extreme), but if I did I wouldn't like it one bit and depending on my mood I might say something.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I would have called that chick out. It's one thing if you have it in your cart and are going to pay for it. Pretty pathetic in my opinion.
    I mentioned it to the shift manager on my way out. Whether or not he does something about it though.............

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Mentioning it to a store employee is fine. Confronting the person is out of line.
  • whattodo54
    whattodo54 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Most fruit like grapes for instance, are priced by weight so the lady was stealing them because there is no way to weigh them after being eaten.
  • lookin4gains
    Options
    Mentioning it to a store employee is fine. Confronting the person is out of line.

Personally what's out of line is taking grapes from someone who actually has integrity and pays for their food. And putting her filthy hands all over someone's fruit. I would have said it loud so everyone around can hear it so she feels like a dip****. Call me crazy but calling someone out would get a lot more progress than telling a store manager. I could just be an *kitten*, but fortunately for me I just don't give a damn.
  • wheird
    Options

Personally what's out of line is taking grapes from someone who actually has integrity and pays for their food. And putting her filthy hands all over someone's fruit. I would have said it loud so everyone around can hear it so she feels like a dip****. Call me crazy but calling someone out would get a lot more progress than telling a store manager. I could just be an *kitten*, but fortunately for me I just don't give a damn.

Couple points here. 1. It isn't your product/money/responsibility. 2. Causing a scene is incredibly immature and would do little more than embarrass her and disturb potentially dozens of other shoppers around you. 3. Who doesn't wash their fruit before eating it anyway?
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Its stealing plain and simple whether she stuck them in her mouth or her purse. Some people have no conscious or respect for that matter. I wouldnt say anything cause im not confrontational but id give the look of disapproval and jeezreally under my breath,kinda loud and walk off .
  • lookin4gains
    Options

Couple points here. 1. It isn't your product/money/responsibility. 2. Causing a scene is incredibly immature and would do little more than embarrass her and disturb potentially dozens of other shoppers around you. 3. Who doesn't wash their fruit before eating it anyway?

If I go in an hour after her and purchase that bag of grapes it is my product isn't it? Also, if you're immature enough to steal food blatantly then in my opinion, obviously your conscious is not speaking loud enough, which in that case I'd gladly oblige. And, I do wash my food, but I still wouldn't appreciate someone's fingers all over it.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    good idea that lady has
  • Nightcometh
    Nightcometh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'll probably be called out here...but I sometimes eat one to make sure they aren't too bitter for me. If I'm trying to decide between two brands or kinds...I'll eat one grape of each. I don't think it's all that uncommon, and I don't think it's stealing if you are intending on buying the grapes. Just taking and eating food, though, is.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'll probably be called out here...but I sometimes eat one to make sure they aren't too bitter for me. If I'm trying to decide between two brands or kinds...I'll eat one grape of each. I don't think it's all that uncommon, and I don't think it's stealing if you are intending on buying the grapes. Just taking and eating food, though, is.
    I don't disagree here. She just took a handful and started eating them while pushing her cart around. Pretty classless IMO.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    good idea that lady has

I can't help but agree, having worked in the retail trade for so many years and seen how they stole from customers. Personally I would be an honest person but have difficulties criticizing others...
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    When I buy grapes, I may try ONE green one. If the green ones are too sour I'll try ONE red one. If the red grapes are too sour and they have them I'll try ONE black one... I would never grab a handful and start eating them. I just don't want to get $10-15 worth of grapes home and find them too sour to eat.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    I'm calling her out.

F. that.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    meh, a handful of grapes doesnt affect our food prices that much, but stealing is stealing, and people who steal are just gross.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    meh, a handful of grapes doesnt affect our food prices that much, but stealing is stealing, and people who steal are just gross.
    Well it would if lots of people do it. And children are great copy cats.

IDEA Fitness member
  • _Lovely77_
    _Lovely77_ Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Well it would if lots of people do it. And children are great copy cats.

IDEA Fitness member

If one does it, there are others that do it. One handful won't cause an issue but dozens of handfuls in each store, as many grocery stores are chain stores and have hundreds of locations, that's a large amount of money. Not to mention, grapes aren't the only food that is being taken without paying. I was at Wal-Mart the other day, in the produce section, I saw a man with a full gallon of milk and a large coffee cup. He was looking over his shoulders both ways and in front of him, like he was checking to see who was watching. The fool was about to pour himself a glass right there. So, I sat and watched him. Leaned my elbows on the cart and rested my chin on my hand with my legs crossed at the ankles and a smirk on my face. Basically, like "go on, I dare ya." He wouldn't do it while I was watching and after about 60 seconds I moved on, who knows if that reaction from me made him think twice or if he just went right on ahead when I walked away. Had I seen someone in action though doing something like that, be it food or drink. I'd definitely call them out. If anyone seriously calls that immature, rather than focusing on the real issue here and the person with the true lack of respect (ie. Underhanded thieving, greedy people) than we have even bigger issues to confront here.
  • wheird
    Options

If I go in an hour after her and purchase that bag of grapes it is my product isn't it? Also, if you're immature enough to steal food blatantly then in my opinion, obviously your conscious is not speaking loud enough, which in that case I'd gladly oblige. And, I do wash my food, but I still wouldn't appreciate someone's fingers all over it.

Intent to purchase does not transfer ownership. Also, grapes are sold by weight, so her eating several grapes from the bag wouldn't affect your end consumer price at all.

So....:huh: