Fitbit

Options
I'm trying to get some input on the fitbit. Does anyone have one? How do they work? Do you like it?

Replies

• donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    My red AHA flex should come tomorrow :)
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I've been using a Fitbit One since late last fall & love it. My Fitbit has helped me to increase my activity.
  • ZombieMom79
    ZombieMom79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have always had problems losing weight and sticking with it. On January 5th of this year my hubby bought me a fit bit one for my birthday and it has changed me completely. I am down 17 pounds since then and maintaining. I am motivated to keep moving all day as I work a desk job. Can't let a day go by and not log 10,000 steps :-) Best investment!
  • Jayma375
    Jayma375 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what type of exercise you do on a daily basis. If you tend to walk, or run it works great. If you are on an exercise bike or rowing machine it probably won't pickup your activity which can really be a bummer if you workout for an hour and then don't get credit for the activity. Also, it seems that if you use an elevator it sometimes records that as going up/down stairs.

If you do decide to get one make sure you don't get one of the Fitbit Force models. They should all be off the shelved by now because they were recalled a few months ago. Apparently they were causing bad skin reactions on some people. We didn't have that problem but sent ours back anyway.
  • theoden524
    theoden524 Posts: 26
    Options
    I love my Fitbit Flex and have only had it for a month or so. I didn't know that it automatically synced up to MyFitnessPal, which was a nice surprise.

It's really great how it incorporates any exercise into your calorie allotment, so it makes sure you're actually eating enough! Definitely recommend it!

- Matt
  • HikeCalifornia
    Options
    I use the zip - don't really need to record my sleep with one of the other ones. It's extremely motivating. For the relatively small investment, I'd have to say it is more than worth it. Combine it with an HRM for the activities it may not pick up well, and you can record nearly everything you do.
  • Amy_Jo54915
    Amy_Jo54915 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your responses! My hubby and I are looking at the Fitbit Zip.
  • LisasLastTen
    LisasLastTen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a FitBit One and I love it. I often find myself going up and down the stairs in front of my apartment or pacing around the place just to get my floors / steps in for the day. In other words, it is motivating me to be more active.

The only thing I don't like about the FitBit is that it can't tell really active motion from strolling. As an example, last weekend I climbed the equivalent of more than 120 floors and walked more than 11,000 steps during a strenuous hike in Pinnacles National Park. At the end of the day the FitBit recorded the same number of calories burned as it would any other moderately strenuous day.

The FitBit is great at counting steps, not so good at counting activity.

The FItBit is good about measuring altitude as well. I say that because I got on a stair mill at the gym the other day trying to add up the 10 floors I needed for my daily goal, but the FitBit wasn't fooled at all.

...Whereas a couple of weeks ago I left my FitBit in another town and when it was sent to me (apparently "flown" to me FedEx) it recorded more than 200 floors climbed for the day. I got a good laugh out of that one.

Regardless, overall it was a great investment and it pairs beautifully with MFP.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit One does a very poor job of determining floors climbed.

It is inconsistent and can't even do that consistently in the same direction. It will tell me I have climbed many extra floors and for the same number climbed it under-estimates the next time. I don't really pay much attention to that anymore.
  • mikedenali
    mikedenali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit flex. Doesn't track my cycling very well but I override all my exercises with mfp anyways. I like to know how much walking I do at work and how restless my sleep was.