Hula Hooping Challenge

Options
Hey guys!

I recently purchased a hula hoop and am looking to master it. But while I work on that, I was curious who else on MFP hula hoops?
I challenge you to hula a few times per week and beat your time from start to drop.

Example, for me
DAY 1: 8 Minutes
DAY 2: 15 Minutes
DAY 3: 30 Minutes
DAY 4: 83 Minutes
DAY 5:

Current Goal: 140 minutes

What's your goal? Log what you've accomplished here!

Replies

• iwannabinnarnia
    iwannabinnarnia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I bought a weighted hula hoop a while ago and use it almost daily. I always get in 15 minutes a day... that is my minimum. I have hula hooped as long as 90 minutes (watched a movie while hooping)... my 'normal' average is 30 minutes each day. I don't have much time in evenings.. after getting home from work, getting dinner, going to the gym... so 15 to 30 minutes is usually all I can do during the week.
  • DesertMermaid29
    DesertMermaid29 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    90 minutes! Wow! I'm also trying to do 15 minutes a day. Watching a movie is a good idea, I typically just sit on mfp and Facebook on my phone lol
    Do you think having a weighted hula hoop is different from a normal? I'm looking into buying a new hoop but I'm not sure if it's necessary.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    90 minutes! Wow! I'm also trying to do 15 minutes a day. Watching a movie is a good idea, I typically just sit on mfp and Facebook on my phone lol
    Do you think having a weighted hula hoop is different from a normal? I'm looking into buying a new hoop but I'm not sure if it's necessary.

From what I've read, the bigger and heavier the hula hoop is, the easier it is to keep up. I bought a 1.5 kg one from Amazon that is pretty huge and I've found it pretty easy to do (meaning keep the rotation)
    However, I have some crazy bruising on my obliques from the weight and force of it.
    The instructions say to ease into it and put time limits for beginners to get used to the impact.

I can't do it everyday because of all the bruising (and sensitivity) but from what I've heard, you get used to it pretty quickly.

So my goal is NOT to be able to hula hoop not for an eternity at 3+ lbs., but rather to be able to do it with a smaller and lighter hoop. So I will work my way down in weight and THEN go for time.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have photos of the results you can achieve by Hula Hooping? I never really thought about it, but it could be fun.
  • DesertMermaid29
    Options
    That makes sense, with a light hoop I feel it but definitely don't have any bruising. Maybe I'll just stick to my light weight and change up the circumferences instead.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I burn more calores squatting down every 5 seconds to pick the darn thing up again!

I guess if you DIY your own hoop out of water piping, you could fill the hoop with sand before you join it up to create more weight and maybe empty some out as your hooping improves.
  • DesertMermaid29
    Options
    I burn more calores squatting down every 5 seconds to pick the darn thing up again!

I guess if you DIY your own hoop out of water piping, you could fill the hoop with sand before you join it up to create more weight and maybe empty some out as your hooping improves.

That's a pretty good idea :)
  • ktloo
    ktloo Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I took a hula fit class when I first started out loosing weight, it was the best thing I ever did. Never really timed how far I could go now, but I usually try and get in 20 minutes or so a day during the week. I usually don't just stand and hoop though, I do some of the moves I learned in class and started adding in some hand weights. Thinking about getting the Hoopnotica DVDs soon, if you haven't yet you should check into them or see if there are some classes near you.
  • tanishabearr
    tanishabearr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    So I've been hooping since I was 11. I recently bought a weighted hoop and let me tell you, it has made a big difference- actually about 10 pounds in two months with that as my main exercise! I hoop but I listen to my music and I move around and dance and it's a really fun exercise! I did bruise in the beginning but now the weighted hoop is muscle memory and I've spent my struggle trying to hoop the opposite direction... If anyone has tips, I'm listening! :D
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Wait, you Want to Hula Hoop for over 2 hours!???? Ok now that is committment and very ambitious..
  • moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have been hooping for about 2 years now and absolutely love it! For all you getting discouraged, don't worry because once you start noticing your improvements it becomes so incredibly rewarding. and not to mention fun! When I first started, I would spend an hour a day hooping on my waist infront of the tv. I couldn't even keep it up for a couple of minutes.
    But now, I am able to hoop on my shoulders, legs, and do lots of fun tricks! It has become something I truly adore and have fallen in love with. :)

Feel free to add me fellow hoopers!
  • Chellybell13
    Chellybell13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Did it help you guys tone up or is it just good for cardio?
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've been curious, too.
    Did it help you guys tone up or is it just good for cardio?